Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Liquid Nitrogen cocktails. Someone explain please…
  • pipnet1
    Free Member

After seeing this (clicky) I need a couple of things explaining.

1. Who on Earth thought this was a good idea. -191C (IIRC) in a drink does not sound good. So can someone explain the idea to me?

2. How is it legal to sell things like this to already pissed people in a bar who probably wouldn’t know what liquid nitrogen was while sober (bit of a generalisation there, but you know what I mean).

Pip

footflaps

I suspect there will be prosecution and a large compensation payout following this….

binners

Darwinism innit? If you ever thought that was a good idea, then quite frankly you’re simply a pollutant to the gene pool.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I did wonder why there was less of a ‘why the hell were they selling it in the first place’ tone to the article than I expected.

all very odd.

DrP

Maybe they were serving lava in a thermos, so this is to counter the heat of that??

DrP

ohnohesback
    Free Member

More money than sense.

beefheart
    Free Member

Bloody students.

vinnyeh

I don’t imagine that the drink was supposed to contain liquid nitrogen, rather the nitrogen is supposed to be used to turn the cocktail into a grownup’s slushpuppy. A tragic accident.

pipnet1
    Free Member

After a bit more searching I think I get the idea. Its supposed to have a small amount of liquid nitrogen in it when its made. This gives it a ‘dry ice’ effect when its served. Apparently its supposed to have vaporised by the time you drink it, obviously she’s just got it and downed it, with devastating effects.

This still seems more than a little dodgy, and still a completely stupid idea.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

So lets get some liquid nitrogen, give it to someone with little or zero experience of chemicals, add it to some vodka and give it to pissed up **** looking for the next exclusive drink.

reminds me of this story – I had to do a dangerous chemicals course when I worked in a shitty motorway service station and the first thing they told you was not to piss about with chemicals

rudebwoy
    Free Member

tales of expanding foam being mis used are gruesome…..

clarence555
    Free Member

“Alcohol itself is a very dangerous thing if improperly handled and liquid nitrogen is a toxic chemical. It destroys human tissue.”

Im not sure Id call liquid nitrogen “toxic”. Just “a bit cold”. And as for the improper handling of alcohol it’s not like they were juggling with fire balls 😉

footflaps

reminds me of my teenage attempts to make Nitroglycerine, we were boiling off the water on a stove in the back of the garden when it dawned on us that this might not be the best method of reducing it….

Anyway, luckily we didn’t manage to make it…..

zokes
    Free Member

Funny thing is – H2O2 isn’t explosive at all. Clearly that Fail author didn’t do GCSE science

chewkw
    Free Member

I blame it on a particular celebrity rubbish chef who thinks he is a chef god of some kind serving chemical dishes using liquid nitrogen. Read somewhere that another chef tried to imitate him using liquid nitrogen in food preparation got his hands blown off …

So it’s a matter of time before Bloody Mental goes down the path. Remember the unknown food poisoning at his restaurant … there there chemical reaction …

maccruiskeen

Mr Blumenthall has popularised the use of liquid nitrogen amongst chefs and catering establishment – but it really, really is dangerous. Aside from the cold burns from handling its the rate at which it expands when it warms – its something in there region of 700 times more volumnous at room temp than when its liquid – so just having the lid on the container too tight (or having the lid freeze on) and you create a bomb. There was a german chef who blew both his hands off when a flask went off and theres an account somewhere of a flask of it exploding in a school/college and the number of floors flask smashed through before it came to a rest. So the risks go beyond those to people decanting or drinking it – the venue effectively has a bomb in it.

In the flask it looks pretty harmless but just something simple like sticking a straw or tube into the liquid can cause it boil in the straw and jet a fountain liquid nitrogen out.

All that said…. there was nothing to stop me buying 45 litres of the stuff earlier in the summer, and although the supplier was very helpful and gave plenty of instruction on safe handling and storage there was nothing that required him to give that advice and nothing prevent me or any other idiot buying it with or without those warnings, or to stop them re-suppling it again.

I did have a near miss with the lid on one flask I was decanting freezing on, theres a split second where you hear/feel it grab and you have to decide whether to try and wrestle it off or run away – I just had to lob it into the woods and hope it didn’t go off.

BenjiM

So it’s a matter of time before Bloody Mental goes down the path. Remember the unknown food poisoning at his restaurant … there there chemical reaction …

I thought it was Norovirus?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/05/fat-duck-restaurant-noroviris-outbreak

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Funny thing is – H2O2 isn’t explosive at all. Clearly that Fail author didn’t do GCSE science

Depends how you read the article, I read it as the peroxide leaked which would then act as an oxidising agent to the carpet/seat. Does seem unclear through.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Darwinism innit? If you ever thought that was a good idea, then quite frankly you’re simply a pollutant to the gene pool.

Thankfully our youth was chracterised by temperance and moderation so we made it through without doing anything foolish or dangerour eh Binners

tomaso
    Free Member

Radio 1 are outside the bar in Lancaster now – for da yoof.
    The bar is called Oscar’s. It looks like they had no comprehension just how dangerous what they were doing could be.

Apparently she had 2 ‘Nitro-Jagermiester’s’

hora
    Free Member

That poor poor girl. When you were 18 and served/offered something in a bar you’d more than likely EXPECT that it complies with food and drink regs/legislation etc etc so I HOPE THE PLACED IS SUE THE ASS OFF. That is, of course unless the place conveniently folds and then re-opens thus leaving the poor girl with health complications for life and very poor.

***holes.

rocketman
    Free Member

+1

really ffs what is wrong with these people

jon1973
    Free Member

Possibly, but if you order a drink in a bar, you should be able to reasonably assume it won’t end with you having to have your stomach removed.

grum
    Free Member

5 mins from my house. I’ve never been in.

Informative post eh?

hora
    Free Member

So the next time I’m offered a drink in a bar I should have it tested first and refuse any new cocktails?

On your 18 and 21st birthdays did you get absolutely ratassed? I know I did.

maccruiskeen

Possibly, but if you order a drink in a bar, you should be able to reasonably assume it won’t end with you having to have your stomach removed.

come on – get in the spirit of the internet. Its really important when someone is severely injured or killed in unfortunate or unusual circumstances to revel in just how clever you could have been, with the benefit of hindsight, in an event that you’ve not experienced, given choices that you’ve not been faced with. If you can’t do that then why even switch the internet on?

falkirk-mark

I think its a bit harsh with the Darwinism comments TBH. most 18 year olds probably could not tell you the first thing about liquid nitrogen.She was also described as very bright, poor girl.

zokes
    Free Member

most 18 year olds probably could not tell you the first thing about liquid nitrogen.

Most 18yos will have been to school. I learned that it was very cold, and what very cold stuff does to things there.

But aside from that, it does seem startlingly stupid that a bar would be selling it in alcoholic drinks to drunk people 😯

I think I might have been in there a few times when MrsZ lived in Lancaster – had to go there for one first so I could then be an old man in the John o’Gaunt without being moaned at too much…

hora
    Free Member

I knew alot of 17/18yr old blokes who were stuffing cars into trees/into walls. Bright adults now but back then they believed they were invincible…

thomthumb
    Free Member

Heard this on the radio this AM.

I hope that someone gets crucified over this. Giving harmful chemicals to untrained uncontrolled people is a huge error.

I do think there is an issue with H&S which assumes that someone buying something knows what it is/ what to do with it.

When it comes to ‘the general public’ nothing should be assumed.

Reminded me of this

EDIT:

Most 18yos will have been to school. I learned that it was very cold, and what very cold stuff does to things there.

i really doubt that most people learn that at school. I didn’t. I’d say 95% of people i meet need it explaining to them.

grum
    Free Member

Used to be called Varsity zokes. And the JoG has gone seriously downhill of late.

Can we all remember this next time we start moaning about health and safety gone mad btw?

robbespierre
    Free Member

I think someone has got confused between “Dry Ice” (solid CO2) and liquid Nitrogen (LN2). I have heard of putting Dry Ice cubes in drinks to create the foaming, smoky effect – but never LN2.

Girl is innocent.

Bar owners are going to jail.

footflaps

Girl is innocent.

Bar owners are going to jail.

+1

hora
    Free Member

Does this make me thick then? Because when I’m pissed off my face I’d struggle to place where it is in the chemical periodic table.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Does this make me thick then? Because when I’m pissed off my face I’d struggle to place where it is in the chemical periodic table.

maybe 😉

maybe it’s a bar only for clever people. maybe they should have had a GCSE science exam on the door. 🙄

maccruiskeen

Does this make me thick then?

not this specific instance alone 😆 😆 😆

toby1

A mate brought some C02 home from the lab once and we stuck it in some drinks – looked great. **** doing that with LN2 though. I feel for the girl, I’d imagine she wasn’t the only person in there drinking that either – just the unlucky one!

Also, hands up who wasn’t a wreckless teenager? I sure as hell was.

Poor girl, feel for her and her parents!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Crazy story. Reminds me of the two kids that caught snorting fireworks and drinking battery acid.

They had to charge one, but let the other one off.

maccruiskeen

hands up who wasn’t a wreckless teenager?

thing is – theres nothing reckless about what she did. If she’d snuck into a lab and started mixing her own cocktails that would be reckless. Drinking hairspray and milk and running round Possil with a sword is reckless, ordering drinks from a menu in a licensed establishment, no mater how much hyperbole in the name of the cocktail is completely sensible.

hora
    Free Member

+1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Liquid Nitrogen cocktails. Someone explain please…’ is closed to new replies.