Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • linux to windows question
  • juan
    Free Member

Is task manager on windows the equivalent of the cron services on linux?

dmiller
    Free Member

Not really, cron is for scheduling things. Task manager is similar to ps, ie running processes. What version of windows?

juan
    Free Member

Well looks like it's windows server 2008. But more as a general question to be honest. I know how to use the cron.hourly cron.daily on linux to repeat a task, but i was wondering waht would be the equivalent under windows.

disco_stu
    Free Member

not used w2k8 ( only on server 2003 ) but theres a task scheduler in the control panel which should do what you want

mogrim

There's also the command "at".

Does this mean you got the IT job then, Juan? And now you'll be bombarding us with questions on how to do it? 🙄

Cougar

"Scheduled Tasks" in the GUI, or "AT" from the commandline.

(What do Unix sysadmins have for breakfast at the same time every morning? Cronflakes.)

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol@cougar!

Waderider
    Free Member

I've always put 'top' in at the command prompt in linux to find running tasks. It produces a list similar to Windows task manager.

allthegear
    Free Member

I think in Win2008 the command line is schtasks. It has a lot more functionality than AT, maybe even more than cron.

I'd check the spelling exactly but I'm on my Mac right now…

Rachel

juan
    Free Member

Thanks everyone most useful And I dont have cronflakes…Just some cronrange juice 😉

juan
    Free Member

mogrim no interview is thursday, I am just trying to investigate what I think they may ask me…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘linux to windows question’ is closed to new replies.