Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Linux despair
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Aye.

I got 4GHz stable from the Xeon. Just.

Still, not bad for a chip rated for 2.9-3.2 and £1110 off the new price 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m happy for you.

What’s it being used for?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

CAD, FEA, Photoshop and gaming 🙂

Cinebench R15 score for it is 927, and I think I can probably tighten the timing on the RAM a little, but no hurry just now.

It’s just passed 4 hours of Prime95 Blend. No hitch. Temps <72C

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SamB
    Free Member

W7 but we also have to use PGP whole disk encryption which is incredibly slow to hibernate, but hibernate is necessary when you leave your PC because it’s not secure in sleep mode.

Isn’t this a problem for your IT support team to handle?

“You require use of PGP and also that I do not use sleep, but must hibernate instead. What is your solution to the 20 minute delay when coming out of hibernation?”

If they’re going to enforce policies (which may well be justified), they need to at least be workable 😕

seosamh77
    Free Member

Question, I’ve just installed ubuntu 14 on a windows 8.1 laptop. When I boot into ubuntu and after I close down, it comes up and tells me there’s heating issues. The laptop isn’t overheating, physically.

Do you think it’s just linux that’s confused by the EFI thingmajiggy (Or window is just confused that ubuntu shutdown last time, I’m guessing here)?

Ps I haven’t fixed the bootloader correctly either yet, so might just be that (I shift restart windows to get into ubuntu at the moment.)

Any opinions? Not something to be concerned about particularly as the laptop isn’t physically overheating?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s probably not managing the C-states or EIST or something correctly, pegging the CPU or GPU at full pelt.

seosamh77
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    It’s probably not managing the C-states or EIST or something correctly, pegging the CPU or GPU at full pelt.

I’d ask you to repeat that in English, but I’ll just google and see where I get to! 😆 cheers, something to investigate anyhow. 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I mean the power saving/downclocking features of the CPU, GPU and or chipset are probably not being controlled correctly. It could be worse – with the Xeon I’m drawing 145W for the CPU, alone.

Actually, it really could be worse, with the old i7 I was pulling about 200W through the CPU alone for 4GHz.

A modern laptop should use <30W for the CPU, peak!

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheers, think I get you! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

When you say ‘it comes up’ not sure what you mean. Can you be explicit?

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips, specifically this, comes up after ubuntu has shut down and just before it boots into windows, never noticed the address to the hp site before, so this message is obviously the windows side of things. I wonder if I’m just getting because the bootloader isn’t working correctly yet, I haven’t had time to sort that yet, I had some problem with it not downloading something or other to get it to work.

molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like the message is from the BIOS. If it comes up before you see anything Windows related (ie the splash screen) then it’s the BIOS. In fact it says “The system BIOS has detected that..”

So, when you shut down Ubuntu it is leaving something in a state that the BIOS inteprets as a thermal shutdown.

A quick google for ‘hp ubuntu “thermal shutdown occurred”‘ shows you’re not alone – there’s a possible solution in this thread http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/How-to-get-rid-of-the-thermal-shutdown-message/td-p/874619

I somehow managed to totally bork my computer, possibly by suspending it when it was doing updates.. 11pm the night before I’m off to a client and it’s totally 100% buggered.. oops.. however it was a fairly common issue and managed to fix it 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheers that sounds promising, I’ll check out and see if I need an update. ta! 🙂 I should have probably thought of google fuing that myself, but that seems to be taken up with the myriad of new audio toys I’ve downloaded! 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yeah, that looks like a mistaken message displaying to me – triggering by mistake, I mean.

If it’s not actually feeling/sounding any hotter in Ubuntu then check your temps with SpeedFan in Windows and if they’re all well below limits it’s probably just a glitch. There’s probably a temp-monitoring program you can download for Ubuntu, too.

NB Laptops often do overheat if bunged up with heatsink fluff. Try an air duster, or if you easily access the HSF units, check they’re clear.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Linux despair’ is closed to new replies.