Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Linux?
  • DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, so I’ve been asked to run an update on a Linux box.. never used Linux in me life. How do I even connect/logon/remote desktop from a Windows system?
    thanks 🙂

mintimperial

Open a terminal. Make sure you’re logged in as root. Type this:

rm -rf /

And no-one will ever ask you to do anything with a Linux box again.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Use putty to connect SSH.

DezB
    Free Member

Naughty mintimperial 😡

Cheers mrjmt 🙂

mintimperial

😉

PuTTY is a good start. You also need to know what distro you’re running before you can figure out how to update, there’s loads of different ways of doing it. If you’re doing anything major I would advise putting a test install of the same setup somewhere harmless like a VM or a spare box, just to try stuff out before you apply it to a live server. You can really hose things with command-line Linux update programs if you’re not used to it.

DezB
    Free Member

Nice one – I think the fella has given me the correct update for the sw version he knows is on there. However, he’s not in today, so I might just wait until Weds when he’s back. Its a dev box, so shouldn’t be any issues.

woody2000

This can only go well I feel! What flavour of Linux is it?

DezB
    Free Member

Strawberry? 😆

woody2000

Not Mint? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t laugh, but… I wasn’t even supposed to be logging on. Some help you guys are!
    I just needed the credentials to push the update 😳

S’fine. 😀

Cougar

So it’s an application update, not an OS update?

I think the fella has given me the correct update for the sw version he knows is on there.

What’s the filename / extension? That might be a start.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t worry Cougar – I worked out what I was supposed to do. Once I saw that green cursor flashing at me I thought, nah, this ain’t right 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

What flavour of Linux is it?

CentOS 6.0 ?

footflaps

Open a terminal. Make sure you’re logged in as root. Type this:

rm -rf /

Just alias ‘ls’ to ‘rm’ and vica versa…

Hours of fun for all your colleagues…

aracer
    Free Member

In which case it’s rpm based, so you’d use yum to update system stuff if you were doing that; “yum update” (despite comments above, until recently there were only 2 common ways to update, and the newest way simply uses dnf instead of yum as the command).

Not that you’re doing that by the sounds of things, but since it has been discussed I thought it worth clarifying.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Linux?’ is closed to new replies.