Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • links from the forum
  • iDave
    Free Member

can we have them opening in new windows or tabs rather than replacing the forum window? does my head in (slightly)

ta, that will be all

thomthumb
    Free Member

CRTL + click

grynch
    Free Member

right click "open in new tab" works for me

iDave
    Free Member

i don't want to have to click anything other than a link in case it hurts

chvck
    Free Member

Yup, just the usual middle mouse button works for me!

woody2000

Aren't they obeying the standards by opening in the same window?

aracer
    Free Member

CRTL + click

Opens in the same window.

the usual middle mouse button works for me!

Not for me.

right click "open in new tab" works for me

Is a lot, lot more hassle.

GrahamS

Aren't they obeying the standards by opening in the same window?

Yup.

Personally I don't like a website dictating to me what stuff will open in new tabs/windows.

I'm in control of my own browsing thanks very much: if I want to open it in a new tab then I'll middle-click; if I want it in the same tab I'll left-click.

GrahamS

aracer: what browser are you using? Middle-clicking works fine in pretty much every tabbed browser I can think of.

aracer
    Free Member

One without tabs (alternatively: I don't have a middle button!)

GrahamS

Right……

… well there isn't much that STW can do to make links open in new TABS if you are using some obscure browser that doesn't support them!

aracer
    Free Member

I'm using about the least obscure browser possible! And where did you get the idea I'd like links to open in new tabs?

Mister-P
    Free Member

A lot more hassle? You are a man who is very short of time!

uplink
    Free Member

If you're on Firefox why not just configure it to do what you need?

GrahamS

I'm using about the least obscure browser possible!

IE6?

Well it may be the most popular (thanks mainly to lazy IT departments) but it is also eight years old which is a lifetime in computing terms.

From memory can't you just hold SHIFT when you click a link in IE to open it an a new window? Or is that too much hassle as well?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

on my machine pressing both mouse buttons=middle click=open in new tab

aracer
    Free Member

From memory can't you just hold SHIFT when you click a link in IE to open it an a new window?

Thanks – never knew that (am only forced to use IE6 in work, so don't invest too much time in it – supposedly it's something to do with security).

GrahamS

Some people want links to open in the same context, other would like them in new tabs, some want them to open in new windows, and others want to have the choice when they click.

So clearly the best solution is anytime anyone clicks any link it should pop up a big window saying:

You appear to have clicked a link. Links lead to other content and web sites on the internet, which may be outside the control on Singletrack/GoFar Enterprises and could contain unsuitable content.

What would you like to do?

[Open Link in Same Tab]    [Open Link in New Tab]
    [Open in New Window]     [Cancel Opening Link and Remain on This Page]

🙄

aracer
    Free Member

…or maybe just have that happen the first time, and use a cookie to remember your preference?

GrahamS

am only forced to use IE6 in work, so don't invest too much time in it – supposedly it's something to do with security

Yep – an 8 year old browser with 142 known vulnerabilities (22 of which are still unpatched) that has been largely disavowed by security experts like Bruce Schneier.

Ideal for security 😉

aracer
    Free Member

You try telling our IT people that 🙄

GrahamS

…or maybe just have that happen the first time, and use a cookie to remember your preference?

Nah that wouldn't help. Sometime I want to open links in the same tab(e.g. when I am on the forum screen and there is one thread I want to read), sometimes I want new tabs (opening multiple threads from the forum screen), and sometimes I want an entire new window (browsing off the forum on some tangent).

So it would definitely have to be displayed every time to give maximum flexibility.

I mean, either that or they'd have to use some kind of agreed standard that lets users press hotkeys or certain mouse buttons to choose how a link is opened. But that'd never work. 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

So it would definitely have to be displayed every time to give maximum flexibility.

No, just a fifth option

Though I note you only mention opening a forum thread in the same window/tab. Do you open off forum links in different windows/tabs (hence have missed most of the point)?

GrahamS

Do you open off forum links in different windows/tabs (hence have missed most of the point)?

That depends. If I want to check the contents of a link and possibly comment on it then I'd open in either a new tab or window.

If I didn't expect to comment on it and merely wanted to read the link then I'd open in the same tab.

Simples.

aracer
    Free Member

Sounds like far too much pre-emptive decision making when clicking on the little cross in the top right corner is just as easy as clicking on the left arrow.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i wish links opened in a new page or tab 🙁
    on a laptop it would be mush simpler. what happens when i click on a link mid thread, but see something on the link i then want to follow up later? i end up having to copy and paste the url into a new tab/page anyway. plus given that all the other forums i use open a new page/tab i always forget on stw – read it then close it and i've lost what i was reading. sounds stupid, but its habit (and the wat the 'new' stw works is different to the pre-hack stw.

those who like it staying in the same page wouldn't be all that inconvenienced by just having to click on a little red button in the top corner…
    all very well saying just use shift etc, but the way i use/hold my laptop means that i'd have to change my position to do so (unless i am planning on typing a reply) – i usuall have my hands right near the bottom of the laptop next to the mouse pad thing.

ok, in the grand scheme of life its not much, but it is irritating…

GrahamS

..clicking on the little cross in the top right corner is just as easy as clicking on the left arrow.

But only an amateur would use either the "little cross" or click on the back arrow. 😀

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘links from the forum’ is closed to new replies.