Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Linking Mabie/Dalbeattie off road and extending Kirroughtree Black
  • pigyn
    Free Member

Hey ho. Lucky enough to have a couple of days riding this Sunday/Monday around Dumfries area.

We are just going to do the three main trail centres and add on what we can, does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to ride Mabie and Dalbeattie as one ride, looks like about 10 miles as the crow flies? Does anyone do this? Can’t get an OS map until tonight, but thinking of heading out the back of Mabie.. near where where the Dark Side trail is if I remember rightly.

It has been a couple of years since I have been down that way, what is the non trail centre stuff like at Mabie at the moment? I heard there was a lot of tree fall damage.

We are also looking to extend Kirroughtree black into something a bit longer, again will scour an OS map tonight but wondered if there were any locals tips. Would be good to take it up to about 65-70k if possible, and the riding is worth it.

Thanks 🙂

BoardinBob

Black at Kirroughtree is closed at the moment

pigyn
    Free Member

Boo! Why is that? Can I revise to ‘Is there anything to extend Kirroughtree Red?’

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

To extend Kirro – Start at the visitors centre at Clatteringshaws loch, on road for a bit, then take a right and follow ‘old edinburgh road’ all the way to the top of heartattack hill. do balck, then either return on the road, or back way you came.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

kirroughtree black closed ? you could just ride it
    listening out for chain saws ,

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Leave Dalbeattie red route just before Smithland hill taking path into woods above Kippford then scenic coastal path ride Kippfrod to PortLing via Rockcliffe then road past Newbarns farm to re join Dalbeattie red route just after Terrible twins.
    Check out the map it is all there

pigyn
    Free Member

Do the FC work on Sundays? We usually try and avoid closed sections.. it’s a delicate balance we as cyclists play with the forest workers, if too many people piss them off they make it harder for centres to be open while work goes on, like last year when people were still riding pro spacker at Inners while the workers were around.

But if they aren’t around to see…

Are any of the trails damaged?

Cheers for the heads up with Dalbeattie

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Happy to help ,if you need any advice about the coastal route let me know

mick_r

Black should still be OK on a sunday – just be sensible. At worst you’ll just need to avoid the last bits before rejoining red. My comments from visiting 3 weeks ago:-

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kirroughtree-black-closed

Trekster

, but thinking of heading out the back of Mabie.. near where where the Dark Side trail is if I remember rightly.

There are a couple of ways out of Mabie but if you take that track to the left on the way over to the Dark Side(Kona Jump bit) Cross the road into Troston forest, keep right at y junction. You come to the remnants of a dyke, easy way is to turn right which takes you down a steep track to the New Abbey -Beeswing road. Turn right and after a couple of miles you come to the fish farm entrance on your left. Take this, over bridge, through gate and left uphill. Take the next right uphill. This track eventually brings you out at Southwick East Lodge on the Southerness road.
    A few options on getting into Dalbeattie from here or taking the coastal path from Sandyhills to Kipford 😆
    Or ride along to Colvend, turn right up past the village hall.
    This could turn into a 69ml epic as it did the last time I did it ❗
    To return? Depends where you exit Dalbeattie forest. If riding back on the main Dalbeattie road there is an access/farm track into Mabie at Lochanhead(right hand turn-beware traffic!)

Do the FC work on Sundays

Yes & No, it’s contractors who do the felling and it depends on how the job is going on whether they work or not. May be a maint team in servicing machines. There could also be debris on the trails, trails blocked etc

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Linking Mabie/Dalbeattie off road and extending Kirroughtree Black’ is closed to new replies.