Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • LinkedIn is magic!
  • SaxonRider

So someone from on here has shown up in my ‘people you may know’ list on LinkedIn. This person and I have never had internet contact off of this forum before other than a single email (and that was a very long time ago), but we have communicated by mobile phone on a couple of occasions almost as long ago.

So how and why would he turn up in my LinkedIn suggestions now?!?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The e-mail, I get it all the time for people who have sent me 1 mail or who I have mailed. No magic just a very deep delve into your mail/contacts.

everyone
    Free Member

I really like it as well, I’m talking to someone tomorrow morning about a graduate job opportunity!

Northwind

My job means I get about 50 million linkedin invites per day, and they can all **** off.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

LinkedIn= Facebook for professionals looking for a job

squirrelking
    Free Member

It’s all about profiling.

All these social networks are massive data miners, so much so that when someone new (yourself) turns up then they already have several pieces of your “jigsaw” already in place, they just need you to fill in some blanks and they can pull more pieces out. Very clever yet at the same time disconcerting stuff…

You are nothing but an algorithm.

cheers_drive

LinkedIn has been very useful for me for building a network for finding work. I can understand that in certain positions it can be a pain – which is probably why most senior managers have a very simple profile.

wwaswas

brant showed up on my ‘people you might know’ list once.

rewski
    Free Member

Its ok, but please no more invites from recruitment agencies please

piemonster

Timely reminder to close my account. No doubt they’ll keep the data.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

LinkedIn is magic a waste of bleedin time

andytherocketeer

used to be handy.
    then ended up with only colleagues looking at profile, plus spam loads of US recruitment agencies doing the same.
    and now it’s all friend requests on a facebook scale.

now I get friend requests from people that presumably just tell it to send a request to everyone in their yahoo/hotmail/gmail a/c?
    guessing that’s why I keep getting friend requests from my brother, who refuses to sign up to facebook. my cousin’s 13yr old kid has been on it for a good year or so.

binned my a/c over a year ago.

pondo
    Free Member

Only joined to try and get someone’s email address, needed it quick and they weren’t answering the phone, so I knew nothing about it. Going for a job interview, looked up the interviewer, and this morning I got a notification that he’s viewed MY TOTALLY BLANK PROFILE!!!! Had no idea it told you when you got viewed – it’s almost like he’s going to think I don’t really exist, or I’m not interesting enough to fill my profile out. 🙁

gwaelod
    Free Member

Its the new Tindr

atlaz
    Free Member

I use it to keep track of contacts. I’m quite selective who I accept requests from though

portlyone

I keep getting networking requests despite “deleting” my account a few years ago.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I like the way my sister can endorse my technical skills!

29erKeith
    Free Member

Not on their, but I keep getting invites from complete randoms, either recruitment based stuff but also cycling “industry people”, marketing stuff I guess. How on earth LinkedIn knows what industry I work in or my hobbies I don’t know, never been to the site ever!

wonderchump
    Free Member

Most, if not all, social media profilers use a variation on Hadoop Map Reduce to identify potential matched pairs of data items. These are then used to determine whether a potential relationship exists. Data science (algorithmic clustering in particular) has become very widely used in customer segmentation, branding, customer behaviour analysis, etc. <<< It pays the bills and isn’t as boring as it sounds.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s a PITA. Random requests for “ohhh like me” from spurious folks.

Northwind

Always seems a bit like the challenge for things like this used to be generating enough connections to make it work. So all the effort went on that. Now, the problem is signal to noise, and the effort needs to go on that. We’re brilliant at generating noise though and computers aren’t great at identifying it.

spacemonkey

Don’t use it as much as I should. Spent a bit of time building 500+ contacts and joining a load of groups. Need to contribute more TBH.

Most of the invites I blank are from India, as their techies/developers/designers are saturating the market. I know people who’ve also given up on putting job specs on the likes of eLance etc because 90% of the candidates are those I’ve just mentioned and have completely sh1t or non-existent websites/portfolios etc.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘LinkedIn is magic!’ is closed to new replies.