• This topic has 45 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Linkedin. Can somebody tell me what it actually does?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Then I’d have to kill you to death. 🙂

Back on topic, if I may…

Linkedin is a very good way to publicise yourself and your business, and to get yerself noticed by people who you want to know about you. Yes, there’s the very obvious benefit if you’re job hunting, but you can also use it for wider network development to get in front of people you otherwise wouldn’t be able to.

Also a great way to know a little bit of detail about people before you meet with them. Forewarned is forearmed and all that.

messiah
    Free Member

I like it as a memory aid for people and projects I’ve worked on… but I dislike it’s use by headhunters because I’m currently not looking for a new job.

andytherocketeer

Don’t know but it’s very difficult to remove your profile.

Successfully nuked my profile a while back. Mainly cos I’d put “social” links in, not just career ones.

I reckon most of the look ups on mine were finance companies trying to sell services to expats. The rest were colleagues.

If I need it properly in future, I’ll create a new profile.

CountZero

Never used it, although I did get an invite from a former work collegue which I never followed up. However, thanks to LinkedIn I’ve now got back in touch with a former work collegue from around ten years ago; she’s now living in Scotland and found a current work collegue, who was our former boss at a previous firm, and emailed him while I was looking at something on his Mac.
    Emailed her and we’re now back in touch on Facebook. Really pleased about this, we got on well and she’s a good friend, and she posts lots of excellent photos which I find inspiring.
    Just occasionally these things have their uses outside the intended.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I have a paid account (recruitment scum, sorry). You can message people you’re not connected to, which I rarely use. You can save people’s profiles in folders, which can be useful if you see people you might want to come back to later. But I only really use this for folks I might want to try and hire for myself some day.

nbt

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Linkedin. Can somebody tell me what it actually does?’ is closed to new replies.