Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Linked In for idiots
  • Valleyboy
    Free Member

Can someone give me a heads up re using Linked-In, my current contract is up soon and i’ve heard its a good way of networking for jobs, is it a case of posting and advertising your CV?

Thanks for the help

cheers
    Nick

iDave
    Free Member

it’s more like facebook for business. get a decent profile up and start linking to people you’ve worked with, people in the same field. personally i think it takes a lot of effort to get any benefits.

j_me
    Free Member

It does let you post up an employment history, but is more geared to connecting your profile with others in the industry. You can connect to people you have worked with or through various groups on the site.

Recruiters use it, and I have been approached a number if times from agencies that have found my profile on Linked In. Prospective employers find it useful as well as they can use it to verify your CV and look for potential shared links (i.e. people you both know) to speak to for an informal reference.

HTH

Spongebob
    Free Member

I have a LinkedIn profile and thisnk the whole thing is a charade!

All the people I have networked with and that I know, have distorted the true picture of themselves. For example, everyone has been a director or a manager of something or other since year dot.

The bullshit is nauseating!

Anyone buying that crap must be stupid, but LinkedIn is mostly about a bunch of people with a grossly “puffed up” opinion of themselves.

If you step back a minute, we don’t really produce much in this country. None of the people I know work for organisations that actually make something.

These super high flyer types are just bad value for business, bad for UK plc.

The UK is about fluff and bullshit, no substance!

Junkyard
    Free Member

but LinkedIn is mostly about a bunch of people with a grossly “puffed up” opinion of themselves.

are all of STW on there then?

Squidlord
    Free Member

One of the first places most most recruiters will look these days, so worth having your profile there if you’re looking for a job/contract.

donsimon
    Free Member

Get on and join some groups, get can have discussions with a better class of idiot there. 😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

Can someone give me a heads up re using Linked-In, my current contract is up soon and i’ve heard its a good way of networking for jobs, is it a case of posting and advertising your CV?

I’m there, within a week of starting I got invited to a networking do in the area.
    What it made me realise was how lacking my CV had been. I have used it as a guide to writing a CV and it feels better.
    I recommend using it, it’s free and shouldn’t harm you.

john_drummer
    Free Member

we don’t really produce much in this country

I beg to differ. the company I work for produces 10,000 doors a day, 6 days a week. When the market was stronger, it was nearer 15,000 a day; hopefully one day the market will get back to that point

anyway, I’m on LinkedIn as are quite a few people I work with, and one or two people I’ve worked with in the past. Haven’t found it particularly useful yet, but it doesn’t hurt

DickBarton

John, I’m sure it’ll open a few doors for you at some point.

😉

edhornby

big contracts in future could hinge on it

am I being a pane?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Linked In for idiots’ is closed to new replies.