• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benji.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lincolnshire Wolds?
  • andeh

…..is there anything worth riding there? I’ve moved within easy striking distance of the wolds and it would be nice to be able to ride something local on the mtb.

I look on the OS maps and have no idea what is worthwhile or, potentially, likely to get me shot. I’m not really sure where to start.

shifter
    Free Member

There’s nothing exciting but there are bits here and there that can join up with B roads. Good for fitness if nothing else. I usually end up in the area sort of between Caistor and Louth.
    Look up Bicyclemania’s site. If you go on one of his events you’ll learn it all in 4 hours!

andeh

Thanks. I saw there there is some kind of bike trek event out of one of the villages, which would probably help orient me a little. I’ll check out that site, I wasn’t expecting gnarcore death tracks, but something other than road riding would be nice.

ji
    Free Member

Local sites:

http://bicyclemania.co.uk/

http://www.louthnet.com/LAMB (they also have a FB page)

and there is the belchford challenge shortly which although on trails that aren’t normally open to the public will give you the chanve to meet lots of local riders – http://www.belchford.org.uk/mountain-bike-trail.html

dvatcmark
    Free Member

MTB wise we used to ride in and around croxby woods back in the late 90s. No idea what its like these days though

joat

Have you got a road bike?

andeh

That Belchford challenge is the one I was thinking of.

I do have a road bike, but have never really gotten into it, I think my attention span is too short.

hubamonster
    Free Member

Lived in lincolnshire my whole life, for me the perfect bike is a cyclocross or similar, you need something relatively fast as your be covering a lot of miles. There’s loads of bridleways, some are better than others, the only way to tell is to try em, you build up a knowledge and can link up long routes, the best thing is its so quiet, can go for ages and see no one.

Once you accept its not the Peak District and appreciate it for what it is its great

andeh

I have an Escapade on the way through C2W, so that should fill the gap between my BFe and road bike.

Having lived within 30 mins of the Peak for most of my life, it’s hard to adjust 😐

theworm
    Free Member

I used to ride in Crosby woods like dvatcmark in the 90s was probably the most extreme you would ever get in the wolds but could be well over grown now, about 17 years since I was last there

theworm
    Free Member

Croxby, not crosby

timbob78
    Free Member

Hubamonster pretty much nails it, i ride between Grimsby and Rothwell and there are reasonable off road tracks in between the road sections, although i do it on a 140mm full suss. I do see a fair few riders on my trails, we just have to make the most of what we’ve got 🙂

benji
    Free Member

There is plenty of riding on the south end of the wolds horncastle area heading north. Which end are you? Love the wolds it’s not technically challenging but it can be pretty.

Hubba got to agree it’s nice and quiet and fairly undiscovered.

andeh

I’m pretty close to Market Rasen. I know of Hamilton Hill tracks, but I get bored of going up and down the same bits of trail.

gab344
    Free Member

If you’re near Market Rasen Hamilton Hill is worth a look, also the strava heatmap of the area is your friend (toggle the labels ON in the layers though, otherwise its just a load of squiggles…..)

hubamonster
    Free Member

Cadwell Park is a good place to fill up your waterbottle, Lindsey trail is worth a look, some of viking way is rideable. I have to bike accross the fens to get to the wolds, they are a bit dull

benji
    Free Member

There is a group out your way called Rasen Riders, they are on facebook but if you contact Louth Cycle Centre they should be able to sort you with some more details, they tend to ride out on a Sunday from Market Rasen onto the wolds.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lincolnshire Wolds?’ is closed to new replies.