Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Limp handshakes
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Ok not sure if this is politically correct? But went to a very upper middle class wedding last week (nice folks) and the groom (nice lad) had a handshake that was limp in the extreme- should I judge him based upon the handshake?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Walk away. Horrible.

MoreCashThanDash

I hope you crushed his hand till he visibly winced and then gave the bride a knowing wink?

crikey
    Free Member

Never mind political correctness, you don’t seriously judge people based on grip strength do you?

If you do you are a simpleton.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

very upper middle class

Relevance to the limpness or otherwise of the handshake?

Just the usual inverted snobbery?

revs1972
    Free Member

I hope you crushed his hand till he visibly winced and then gave the bride a knowing wink?

You are Lord Flashheart and I claim £5

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Jesus I am asking for guidance not judgement…

crikey
    Free Member

Guidance on what?

martinhutch

I’m sure Jesus has a vice-like grip. I remember something about the right hand of God.

jam-bo

I thought all the cool kids were fist bumping.

MoreCashThanDash

He’s been promoted from Captain? 😐

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Totally with you OldMan, v poor form to have a limpy-shake irrespective of class. How was his speech? if that was a bit limp too, then in my book I wouldn’t be keen and be reckoning the marriage won’t last.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One doesn’t like to use the title. One gets judged so harshly.

😉

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

For real snobbery at weddings – hired coats, any man made fibre, single cuffs, matching waistcoats (esp if not silk), cravats and non-morning dress outfits on men, in particular those Nehru collar numbers. Evening dos and American weddings are excepted, shorts only if in S Hemisphere or Caribbean.

aP
    Free Member

I used to have to work with Mercans, they used to love bone crushing handshakes. I had 4 fractured bones in my right hand so I could either man up before then walking out of the meeting that’d been organised for me or do the even more annoying thing of turning the hand over on them and see how long they’d manage to go before letting go. It’s all full of shit, I hate shaking hands because of the inadequate **** who feel the need to “dominate”.

crikey
    Free Member

The only time grip strength should be a concern is if you were considering a reach around in the orangery.

cdoc
    Free Member

Have you considered that maybe he was not too overjoyed about having to touch you? 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

inadequate **** who feel the need to “dominate”.

Wholly agree. A contractor tried this with me a few weeks ago, it cost him a LOT of money!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Jeez, some of you lot really overthink stuff…

Dominance & other such Alpha displays? Only a problem if you let them be.

A firm handshake is a far more pleasant way to greet someone than handing over something as limp as a soggy fishfinger.

wrecker
    Free Member

Firm is fine, proper even. You can tell when someone tries to put crush your hand and it’s stupid, actually it’s a bit disrespectful IMHO. It doesn’t establish any kind of dominance, it just marks the bloke out as a dickhead.

grahamt1980

Over powerful handshake is almost as bad as a limp handshake. One is macho bs on their behalf, the other just makes my skin crawl. However a normal handshake when the other person thinks they need to stare you in the eye is also peculiar

Plus being a climber I have caught a few people out when they tried it.
    Normal handshake is all that is needed, and yes all of the above has made me doubt giving roles during interviews

joat

Shaking a limp hand is like shaking another limp body part…that’s not your own. Fine if you’re into that sort of thing, but not if you weren’t expecting it. The early grippers are annoying too, wait until hands are engaged please.

andyrm
    Free Member

It just ain’t right. We were always told at high school never to trust a man with a limp handshake or who walked without moving his arms. Almost 25 years later, that rule has never let me down.

slowoldman

Though Flash would also have said “Hey your new husband is really limp. Come with me and I’ll show you a hard (pelvic thrust here) time”.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Both limp and bone crushers are wrong. The latter seem to be more prevalent these days. I have had four attempts to break my bones in the last week 🙁

BillMC

With a hand broken from coming off my cross bike I swoon in response to a firm handshake, not in a good way.

busydog
    Free Member

The early grippers are annoying too

This as well^^

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d sooner have to suffer shaking hands with someone possessing all the grip of a three week old stick of celery than someone daring to do this;

Note the manpurse.

maccruiskeen

I don’t really rate handshakes by firmness but I sometimes work with a guy who’s handshake isn’t just limp he’s completely uninvolved in it. He just seem to give you his hand to look after for a few seconds while his attention seems to be elsewhere.

someone daring to do this

Careful now – an epic handshake like that was responsible for wiping out the dinosaurs.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgPwXlTRuHs[/video]

Pook

Captain, that’s not a man purse, it’s a toilet bag. He’s got his toothbrush and a bic razor in it.

That’s a caravan club car park. They’ve just emptied the chemikazi

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Not a fan of bone crusher handshakes but I find the limp lettuce approach odd?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

He should have clung to me cdoc we were easily the most “common” people in the room, I mean a Geordie and a Scouse at a upper middle class oxfordshire country wedding it’s a wonder the parents could stand the shame.

bencooper
    Free Member

However a normal handshake when the other person thinks they need to stare you in the eye is also peculiar

There’s a book about bicycle retailing (written in the US of course) which recommends that you should greet your customers with a handshake, looking into their eyes to emphasise trustworthiness – and grasp their elbow with your other hand to increase the effect (and presumably stop them escaping).

Limp handshake, meh. Firm handshake fine. Trying to crush my hand, I’ll press the pressure point at the base of the thumb. People either snatch their hand back, or go bug-eyed, it’s most amusing.

bob_summers

Hah. When I lived in London I bumped into a colleague in the street and went to shake hands, but hadn’t noticed he was going for the fist bump. So I shook his fist. Which made me feel like the inbred Cumbrian that I am and his mates found it very amusing. Give me a limp handshake any day.

seosamh77
    Free Member

boy in my work is murder for it, it’s horrible.

globalti
    Free Member

Far far worse than the over-muscular handshake is the Alpha male palm flat down handshake; as practiced by boorish domineering types like my boss. This is where the shaker offers his fat meaty paw with the palm down, forcing you to shake with your palm upwards, which is a position of supplication and subordination.

The upwards palm comes from the same type of subordinate body langauge as people who look around anxiously as they enter a room, who carry stuff in their arms and walk fast, all of which, I heard on the radio recently, judges are told not to do on entering court.

The way to deal with an Alpha male downwards palm shaker is, apparently, to place your hand over the top of his, which will leave him confused and embarrassed without understanding why. I haven’t had the nerve to do it to my boss yet.

BillOddie

Never mind political correctness, you don’t seriously judge people based on grip strength do you?

Yes, along with the 1RM Squat, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Bench Press numbers…

What?

Far far worse than the over-muscular handshake is the Alpha male palm flat down handshake

Turn their hand over, 99% of men that try to do this have the forearms of a 9 year old.

letmetalktomark

What a load of beta over thinkers there are in here 😉

Firm handshake (not bone breaking) or don’t bother.

To deal with the dicks offer your other hand positively – that usually confuses them to then awkwardly shake your hand with their already outstretched hand.

MoreCashThanDash

To deal with the dicks offer your other hand positively – that usually confuses them

Unless they are Scout leaders…..

anagallis_arvensis

I love the fact that people on here hate over firm handshakes so much and think the person is a tool so much so that they respond in kind….er you are a tool too. Just smile and get on with your life.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Limp handshakes’ is closed to new replies.