• This topic has 66 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Lilly Allen
  • iolo
    Free Member

She sings as well as her brother acts.
    Their rise to stardom has nothing to do with their father pulling a few strings. No siree.
    Her voice is just a mono tone singing awful bloody lyrics while trying to (whilst failing miserably) to look sexy.

tang
    Free Member

Her Dads young wife is an ex of mine. He always gives me filthy looks when I bump into them!

catschroedinger
    Free Member

No auto tune at Glastonbury….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

voice is just a mono tone singing awful bloody lyrics while trying to (whilst failing miserably)….

That’s exactly what I think about New Order, who really are utter bilge.

Lifer
    Free Member

Stay classy, STW!

langylad
    Free Member

Whilst i am not quite her target demographic and i’m not overly familiar with her work, the stuff I have heard seems to send out a really good message to young females about not having to look or behave in a way that a pretty misogynistic american music industry says they should.
    A message that has clearly been missed by a few previous posters 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

why the shitting hell are there two threads about Lily Allen? Surely she ain’t worth the attention?
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/call-me-eccentric#singletrack

Kryton57

Oh she is. And I would again.

robhughes
    Free Member

This ones for you Kryton. 😉

somafunk

That’s exactly what I think about New Order, who really are utter bilge.

Bzzz – Last call for PeterPoddy to the lobotomy suite….PeterPoddy to the Lobotomy suite – Bzzz

RustySpanner

PP, Bernard Sumner is pretty monotone on many New Order tracks, but it suit :-)s the music so well it just adds to the whole thing.

And having a terrible voice never stopped Dylan.

🙂

CountZero

Rusty Spanner – Member
    PP, Bernard Sumner is pretty monotone on many New Order tracks, but it suit :-)s the music so well it just adds to the whole thing.

And having a terrible voice never stopped Dylan.

No, but plenty of people with better voices have done wonderful things with Dylan songs, Joan Baez for one, which she often points out during her concerts.
    Thing is in order to put a song across, you don’t need to have a flawless voice, that can sometimes get in the way, think of Tom Waits, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Kurtz Cobain, Courtney Love, Debbie Harry, Richard Thompson, Martha Wainwright…
    I like Lily, she tells stories with her songs, she doesn’t need a great voice to do that.
    I far prefer her to Madonna!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

mudshark – Member
    Her voice is pretty but thin. Unlike her.

So you don’t like her music, but feel the need to comment on her shape, physique, call it what you like. Classy.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I like all this “I would” twittering. Like you’d actually get the chance. Or that she’d do anything other than give you a pitying look.

Anyway, you’d have to get past this first.

RustySpanner

She came across as a very intelligent and pleasant person on Desert Island Discs this morning.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m sure she’s lovely and extremely well educated and would be a good laugh to be with down the pub.
    Did you hear her singing live, unaided by computers over the weekend? A singer she is not. A mediocre karaoke down the pub kind of girl she might be.

konabunny
    Free Member

She sings as well as her brother acts.
    Their rise to stardom has nothing to do with their father pulling a few strings. No siree.

I am not familiar with the brother’s body of work.

However, it’s nonsense to say that her career is just down to her father’s influence. For one, he doesn’t have much. For two, the music industry is a dying and evil factory. There’s no room any more for indulgences for second tier actors’ kids – it doesn’t make money.

She brought a small audience before she was signed (not that there is any money in being signed any more), she is reasonably authentic (in that she can write and sing her own music), the songs were well-produced, and she had something interesting that some people wanted to listen to. You don’t have to like it, that’s okay.

RustySpanner

iolo – Member

I’m sure she’s lovely and extremely well educated and would be a good laugh to be with down the pub.
    Did you hear her singing live, unaided by computers over the weekend? A singer she is not. A mediocre karaoke down the pub kind of girl she might be.

I’m sure it makes someone happy. 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I far prefer her to Madonna!

Which is like comparing rabies to a broken leg.

tightywighty
    Free Member

Ramsay approves

cynic-al
    Free Member

surroundedbyhills – Member
    So you don’t like her music, but feel the need to comment on her shape, physique, call it what you like. Classy

Yup, tragic.

j4mie
    Free Member

You don’t look at the mantelpiece when you’re stoking the fire.

ninfan
    Free Member

As the father of two teenage girls, I’m happier to see someone like Lily acting as a role model for them than Made in Chelsea or TOWIE

I also think its pointless criticising her live singing, when we grew up listening to musical geniuses the Stone Roses & the Pogues

bearnecessities

Another vote for “would”.

DezB
    Free Member

You don’t look at the mantelpiece when you’re stoking the fire.

Wow, clever. Did you make that up?

Kryton57

I also think its pointless criticising her live singing, when we grew up listening to musical geniuses the Stone Roses & the Pogues

Good point.

Stop knocking people for fancying her as a woman and not for her music. It is of course possible, and there’s nothing wrong with that. For instance, my wife agreed voluntarily to marry me, and I can’t sing at all. We’ve had carnal relations despite my poor vocal ability, so however you rate Lily’s voice there is always hope 😉

Mark

Outstandingly disappointing thread..

I started out working through, sending out warnings and removing posts. Once I’ve closed this thread I think I’ll just go through it once more with the ban hammer.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Lilly Allen’ is closed to new replies.