Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Like Moniaive….
  • maccruiskeen

Thinking of a trip out on the road bikes this weekend. We’ll often drive to somewhere like Sanquahar and do a circuit with Moniaive as the halfway point for a nice lunch break at the Green Tea Room. This time we’d like to go further south and west for an overnight stay rather than a day trip. My mind’s blank as to whats nice between there and Stranraar. Any suggestions of a nice we town for a B&B and and evening meal and ride around it?

The-Beard

How far do you want to ride?

maccruiskeen

50- 60 miles ish.

somafunk

Moniaive is a cool wee village, I’m up that way every weekend working on a mates farm, and Catherines tea room is very decent for food, there is the Bluegrass festival at the end of September in the village btw. Moniaive website

For something similar have a try cycling in the wigtownshire area, quiet wee roads and very scenic, lots of small tea-rooms – and you have the Bladnoch distillery for added refreshment

port william

There is a scenic 7stanes cycle route through the western Galloway hills, check out the Glentrool Big country loop at 58km, on decent forest roads and desolate back roads, you may even see the Galloway Golden Eagles around Loch Dee area.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

There’s load and loads of really nice quite roads in the Galloway hills and on the other side of the A75 south of Dumfries and Castle Douglas.

I’d probably head over to New Galloway, then down to Newton Stewart then keepin heading west to Whithorn and Port William.

On the way back I’d probably do Kirkcudbright, Dalbeattie then back up towards where you started 🙂

The-Beard

You could look for something around Dalry or New Galloway. There’s a couple of B&B’s and the Kenbridge hotel is alright – food is pretty good. If you travel further south along Loch Ken you’ll end up in Castle Douglas (eventually) so easy to find something there.

Lots of nice wee roads to explore round that way, PM if you want some route inspiration!

maccruiskeen

A bit of sea could be the very thing, actually. Will investigate the Whithorn area for accommodation.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bit further north but the Stratton to new Galloway road is one of my favourites, loop back round via crosshill.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Like Moniaive….’ is closed to new replies.