Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • like a joystick but cheap
  • nosedive
    Free Member

the recent storms have killed my exposure joystick so i need a helmet light. any suggestions for self contained torch like lights that are lightweight enough to stick on a helmet. would be a bonus if there was something that fitted in the exposure helmet mount…

Trimix
    Free Member

A second hand one from EBay.

pictonroad

I’m just about to stick a diablo in the classifieds if you’re interested.

email in profile

James

richardthird

Generic 501b’s fit in the mount. Decent Panasonic 18650 makes them good lights, often under 100g inc battery. But those Exposure mounts are cheese, so wrap some tape around and get it in a Lezyne one (£8)

verses

I have a Mk7 Joystick on ebay at the moment (email in profile if you want the link).

nosedive
    Free Member

LOL. I have a couple on my watch list already. kind of does my head in that they are sealed, I would feel a lot better about them if I could get in easily and change the battery every couple of years

nosedive
    Free Member

thanks richard, thats the right sort of money. Ive got a dying sirius, dying diablo and dead joystick so just trying to find a more user setviceable solution, thanks for the offers above though

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tried contacting exposure to see what they could do?

zilog6128

Tried contacting exposure to see what they could do?

+1 Have only heard good things about their customer service

nosedive
    Free Member

i mailed exposure about a year ago when the diablo started dying and got no reply. I heard it was expensive anyway so didnt bother chasing it. I probably should be more persistant

zilog6128

maybe try giving them a ring instead

belugabob
    Free Member

kind of does my head in that they are sealed, I would feel a lot better about them if I could get in easily and change the battery every couple of years

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-batteries/joystick-battery-replacement/

…worked fine, for me.

scaled
    Free Member

I’d try emailing again!

I spent them an email on saturday and got a reply within an hour with a returns number.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But those Exposure mounts are cheese

Utter nonsense.

nosedive
    Free Member

^^ nice one. will give it a go. i think the diablo and sirius just needs new batteries, the joystick is dead dead though

benp1

Pick one up cheap on Evans right now, or get your old one fixed

Northwind

nosedive – Member

LOL. I have a couple on my watch list already. kind of does my head in that they are sealed, I would feel a lot better about them if I could get in easily and change the battery every couple of years #

ChrisL got an older joystick fixed, IIRC it was about £40? Wasn’t really worth it tbh but it was definitely an option.

Any half-decent torch does the same job, just not as nicely- a torch’ll be heavier and bulkier, but offers replacement batteries. I have some chinese XML job in a joystick mount and it works a charm (love the joystick mount!)

Trimix
    Free Member

Exposure have always fixed my lights, or sent a replacement. Worth trying that even with the dead one before spending more money.

prawny

I’ve just got an evans 500 lumen jobbie and a helmet mount. Not tried it on my MTB yet but it punches a decent hole in the dark on the commute (bar mounted).

I’m sure it won’t be as good as the new joysticks but that battery lasts 90 mins on high, and it coast less than 40 quid with the extra mount (which is also gopro compatible)

nosedive
    Free Member

thats what I am thinking, these are all old lights with about 500 lumens, I might be able to get better performance for less money, maybe worth a diy battery fix though. I was going to buy the evans joystick mark 11 for £105 but its not in stock and I could really do with not spending that kind of cash. £10 for an ebay special and a good 18650 from torchy is very tempting

prawny

The £10 torches are decent, I’ve got a few, but they’re heavier, and need tinkering to get the best out of them. I’ve got 2 left, but one only likes some of the batteries I’ve got, and the other likes different ones.

Some slide in fine but rattle while in use and the light flickers/changes modes. Or the battery is a struggle to fit in and an even bigger arse to get out.

The evans thing is solid.

nosedive
    Free Member

that evans 500 thing looks ideal. does it look like it would fit in a joystick mount?

prawny

I don’t know to be honest, my ultrafire 501b torch won’t fit the evans mount, so if they do fit the joystick one it won’t work. But evans do their own strapped helmet mount for about £3 which is good, and the actual clip part is attached to the helmet mount by a gopro style mount.

nosedive
    Free Member

thanks prawny thats really useful

nosedive
    Free Member

gemini xera looks like an option as well….bit more expensive at £80 though

willyboy
    Free Member

This is a good helmet light Torchy light off eBay

I bought a helmet mount for it from Evans for a £4. Helmet mount

prawny

That’s pretty much the same light without the side lighting. Probably better for MTB than the Evans one.

willyboy
    Free Member

I did wonder that as it fits the mount perfectly.

nosedive
    Free Member

nice one willyboy, i had seen that but dismissed it as i couldnt figure out how to helmet mount it! i think thats the solution

GavinT
    Free Member

I had one of the torchy fluxeon lights. They don’t seem to be listed currently so don’t know if he’s finished with them or if they’re just out of stock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-Fluxient-U2-Mini-1100-Lumen-rated-Cree-XM-L-U2-led-2-x-3400mAh-battery-/291924718671?

Great light, waaaaaaay brighter than any joystick, will squeeze into a joystick mount (tight but it goes) and takes 18650 batteries so you can ride with a spare in your pocket. Each one good for about 3 hours on full.

DrP

I would genuinely say, if you want something like a joystick..get a joystick.
    If you want a cheap torch, get a cheap torch.

The two are, in my mind and usage, different items…

Yes, I’m an exposure fanboi, but good lights aren’t cheap, and cheap lights aren’t good….

Bike snob..moi??!!

DrP

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lezyne light on my helmet – self contained battery and a decent mount. Think I got it for £40 ish a while back but RRP was nearer £80. It’s the macro drive one on wiggle but at 400 lumens it may not be powerful enough for you – I use it with a floody bar light and it’s been good.

coffeeaddikt
    Free Member

Do call exposure!

+44 (0) 1798 839300 then option 2

There is always someone on the phone between 8:30 and 5.

With our Sussex based team will do what we can to help!

TimP
    Free Member

Boson

Anyone got one of these? 850 lumens for £40 sounds too good to be true

AlexSimon

I was very disappointed with the Fluxient, but there you go.

I paid £25 for the torch unit on it’s own it was fine, but no better than the £12 Chinese torch I had before.
    Both are still running, but now I use the old Solastorm X2 on my head.

Annoying that you can’t carry a spare battery with the Alpkit one.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘like a joystick but cheap’ is closed to new replies.