Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Like a campervan conversion, but with a caravan
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder if it would be possible to completely gut my caravan and then rebuild the interior to my own spec. This would:

a) get rid of all the naff decor
    b) make it all clean, dry, well sealed and sound.
    c) enable me to fit two extra berths – it’s 2 berth at the moment but easily big enough for four

Thoughts?

Stoner
    Free Member

Isnt the velour load bearing?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Of course it’s possible. It will take much longer than you expect, cost 10x more than you imagine and almost certainly look crap. But it is possible…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iDave
    Free Member

often wondered this – must be possible – you could even start with a big horsebox!

geoffj

With camper conversions you have a structurally sound base vehicle. I’m not sure you would if you just ripped out the innards of your caravan to start again.

Cheaper to just sell and buy a nicer one?

donsimon
    Free Member

I think it would actually be impossible, there are definitely several limiting factors to consider.

wwaswas

not impossible, just difficult.

bear in mind that caravans are built ‘inside out’ – they put all of the furniture electrics and plumbing in/on the chassis beofre they put the sides, ends and roof on. Trying to both undo what’s there and then reinstall it elsewhere is likely to end in frustration and more expense than you might imagine.

I expect as you’ll be mucking about with gas and electrics you’d need to get some sort of certifcation of your changes done too.

[edit] this shows it really well;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMiSaP_o_B0[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

bear in mind that caravans are built ‘inside out’

Oh.. I did not know this.. that makes it a far more difficult proposition!

I had assumed that it would be viable as an empty shell. But then again, thinking about it, where are all the internal braces and such?

Having said that.. you could with a bit of thought ensure that the internals you add braced the structure in a similar way? But how to fix to the exterior shell without compromising waterproofing..hmm tricky.

Stoner
    Free Member

Why not customise a horsebox?

molgrips
    Free Member

I am sure you are not being serious…

Stoner
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

Lol.

If I let my imagination run wild.. well.. I’d be divorced for a start.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i tried this once with a static i was living in on my mothers farm. it didnt quite collapse but i ended up shoring it up like in a mine, oh and when it was really windy i used to go sit in the barn 🙁

Hairychested
    Free Member

Do it and take loads of pictures, we need good laughs here 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Like a campervan conversion, but with a caravan’ is closed to new replies.