• This topic has 45 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pigyn.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Like a Bokeh but not a Bokeh?
  • flange
    Free Member

How do

I’m looking at replacing my Grade with something that’ll take 650b wheels + horizons. I’d love a Mason Bokeh but I can’t face stumping up the money for a new frame and they’re pretty rare second hand as you’d expect.

Ideally around £800 would be great, I know there’s the Space Chicken from On-one but the paint is horrific and I wasn’t super impressed with my last carbon frame from them.

Any ideas?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Probably not what you want to hear but save the extra money and buy the Bokeh.

I’ve tried a Tripster, a Diverge and a Kite Disc and the Bokeh knocks spots off them all. It’s a fantastic bike and well worth the extra money.

sheck

Interesting… had a Kite Disc and a Bokeh on a shortlist… @notmyrealname, would really welcome any insights on how the 2 compare?

flange
    Free Member

Would also be interested – can I ask where you notice the benefits of the Bokeh over the others you’ve tried?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member
    flange
    Free Member

Cheers Chunky and the right size too. I did drop him a line but I’m guessing he only wants to sell the complete bike which is understandable.

I suppose a Bokeh is cheaper than the Open Up or 3t exploro, maybe I should just nut up and buy it!

fudge9202
    Free Member
    notmyrealname
    Free Member

The Kite was a nice bike when I built it up but the something about it just didn’t feel right. I don’t think that it helped that I was between a medium and a large size. While it was pretty good fun to ride I find the Bokeh much more enjoyable and easier to throw around when you’re off road. It also rides much better with ‘proper’ road tyres fitted.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the weight played a part in this, the Kite being steel was a good bit heavier than the aluminium Bokeh.
    If you’re anywhere near them I’d give Mason a call and arrange a demo of the Bokeh, I don’t think you’d be disappointed with it.

aP
    Free Member

I like my Bokeh – I didn’t test ride any other bikes, mostly because there weren’t any other bikes that did what the Bokeh does. I’ve ridden mine a bit since building it up in early April and it rides well – based on owning a series of road and CX bikes including a 6Al/4V Merlin, a bespoke 853 road bike, and a bespoke 753 CX bike. I’ve done 2-3,000 miles on it including Paris-Roubaix, Gravel Dash, Exmouth Exodus and Tuscany Road.
    The Bokeh is well thought through, and looks good too!
    The only thing to be careful of is that there may not be enough port plugs if you’re not running wired gears and the front disc Centrelock bolt needs to be the low profile version. I didn’t get on with their seat post so changed it to a fi’zik carbon post which has been reliable since then.
    That bike for sale ^^ is pretty good value.

northernatheart
    Free Member

I have been doing my very best to ignore the Bokeh, but I rarely/if ever see a bad word said about it. Would be the next purchase.

Anyone know if it is due an update or changes for 2018? A bright orange bike would be hard to hide in the garage, but I think it would be worth it.

slowjo
    Free Member

Get a grey one.

I have had a Bokeh for about a year now (nearly 5000 miles). I rarely ride anything else any more. My SC Highball is mothballed and my road bike only comes out now and then.

I tried it with 650b (USE Carbon) but didn’t get on with it in that configuration. The wheels have been mothballed too.

The Bokeh was probably the best money I have ever spent on a bike. I’m lusting after their Ti version though…….

flange
    Free Member

fudge – a few years ago I bought a Vaya and didn’t get on with it at all. Felt massively dead to ride on the road, however I know some people love them. Different strokes for different folks I suppose

drlex
    Free Member

G’wan!
    Since I got mine last year, not ridden any of the other bikes.

brassneck

I’d at least look at a Tripster – love mine, on and off road. Fair few about 2nd hand now too.

Or the alu version? Wouldn’t lose much IMHO, I got Ti because I wanted too and it was all that was around in those days (other manufacturers weren’t doing road/cross/gravel cross overs really).

flange
    Free Member

Oohhh – Alu tripster isn’t a bad shout at all. Will pop off and have a look

Think it will either be that or the Bokeh, just don’t want buyers remorse if I buy the Kenesis!

joemmo
    Free Member

NS RAG+? not as nice as a Bokeh but has 700 / 650 compatibility. Cable routing is only for 1x drivetrain though.

Was going to suggest Tripster AT – does it take 650b?

flange
    Free Member

Thats cool, I’m only running 1×11 anyway so that suits me. Added to the list!

joemmo
    Free Member

also Rondo Ruut – which is a slightly fancier RAG+ from what I can tell

aP
    Free Member
    charliem
    Free Member

In a similar boat…would love a bokeh but can’t justify the cost. Probably going to go for an arkose personally, takes 650b and you can get a frameset for £400 (£450 for the Di2 routing one). Seem well reviewed (at least in the very extensive thread on here)!

sillyoldman

Ridley X-Trail Alloy is worth a look. 2018 frameset option is bolt thru ft/rr and has loads of clearance for 650×50 tyres.

Rik
    Free Member

Genuine question, esp to those who have had custom steel, nice Ti and other boutique bikes.

The Bokeh looks like a reasonably standard geometry aluminium frame, with nice forks and big clearances.

Why is it so good?

Is everybody running them with large tyres, so nuances of the frame are lost slightly due to the cushion of the tyres?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Space Chicken from On-one

its a chinese catalogue frame. plenty of other colours available direct. thread on LFGSS about it.

ransos
    Free Member

The Bokeh looks like a reasonably standard geometry aluminium frame, with nice forks and big clearances.

Why is it so good?

The same could be said about the Definition (apart from the clearances). All I can say is it rides beautifully and puts a smile on my face every time.

brassneck

Genuine question, esp to those who have had custom steel, nice Ti and other boutique bikes.

Why is it so good?

Is everybody running them with large tyres, so nuances of the frame are lost slightly due to the cushion of the tyres?

It’s a fair point. I got the Tripster as it covered more-than-good-enough road bike, touring bike and cross races in one package. And just because it was Ti. I suspect it would be equally good in Alu for my ability, or something very similar in carbon .. the material is not massively important – and bike for life is balls as I’m already considering a cheap dedicated 1x cross bike for next season, and I’m more likely to get bored or hit a tree than wear it out somehow.

EDIT: But – I smile every time I look at it and ride it.

scruff
    Free Member

Where are these Tripster for sale?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Why is it so good?

I can honestly say that I’ve got no idea.
    I don’t profess to be one of the people that can tell the difference between half a degree of head angle here or there or for that matter feel the alleged “springiness” or whatever that say you get with a steel frame but I know when I like a particular bike.
    The Bokeh just feels nicer to ride than any of the other similar bikes I’ve tried. Even using it on the road fir a week in the Alps it felt nicer to ride than my previous Domane road bike.
    Maybe it’s just a psychological thing but I’ve absolutely no idea, I just know that it’s great fun, comfortable and despite being a bit on the expensive side it was worth every penny!

scud
    Free Member

Been coveting a Bokeh for a while now and wanted to know how it rode as a road bike, so thanks for that, i have a Salsa Fargo for bikepacking which is heavy and Specialized Roubaix disc which is a getting tired now, so wondered about selling both and getting a Bokeh.

What kind of build weight are they with 700c road wheels?

How low is the front end on them, is it quite a racy position? It would need to be a good road bike for 12-24 hour events, where i like comfort over speed i guess?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I don’t find the front end to be particularly and I’m very inflexible and struggle with more racy positions.
    Personally I’d be happy to use it for a 12h event but I guess it’s horses for courses.

siwhite
    Free Member

Sonder Camino is an oblivious alternative…

ibnchris

I’m about to get measured up for s Reilly Gradient…lovely looking thing and gets good reviews toobut maybe not that many about so not as much hype?

sheck

Reilly Gradient is on my shortlist too, but quite like the idea of a Bokeh 650b, as I already have some nice 700 disc wheels that can be swapped for 12mm

dirtyrider
    Free Member

…….bokeh

create image url

dickie
    Free Member

Bokeh riders – what size are you on / how tall are you?

I’m on a Resolution in large(56) & it feels ever so slightly too big (90mm stem)at 5’11” although I’m right in the middle of the size guide.

dickie
    Free Member

This is nice until you get to the price.
    Vielo V+1

Superficial
    Free Member

Have you looked at a Sonder Camino? They look lovely in the flesh and very reasonably priced for the Ti frameset.

I had a poke around the Sonder showroom at the Alpkit shop in Hathersage and could have bought at least 4 bikes in there. I have no idea if they ride well but the whole range looks lovely.

gearsrgood

Sonder Camino . Ti is a great bike, sure they have demo bikes available

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Bokeh riders – what size are you on / how tall are you?

I’m on a Resolution in large(56) & it feels ever so slightly too big (90mm stem)at 5’11” although I’m right in the middle of the size guide.

5’11” on a 56cm here with a 100mm stem.

jonnyrockymountain

My ns rag+ with 650×2.1 tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Like a Bokeh but not a Bokeh?’ is closed to new replies.