Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Lightweight, well vented full face helmet. Like a Met Parachute, but not..
  • me1tdown
    Free Member

I really like the new Met Parchute, they just don’t fit me. The chinguard is too high in the Med, and the helmet too large in the L. Just like this PB photo.

Can anyone suggest a light and well vented full face? It should be certified with a chinbar test such as ASTM F1952.

I’ve looked at the following:
    Met Parchute – doesn’t fit unless you have a short face. Great Otherwise
    Urge Archi Enduro RR – doesn’t seem to be available yet in the UK? Looks good otherwise.
    Kali Avatar II – can’t find stock in the UK. Great Otherwise.
    IXS Xult – Quite heavy and expensive.
    Bell Transfer 9 – Heavy
    Sweet Protection Fixer – looks pretty good but expensive.
    Bell super 2r – fails certification.

Any other suggestions of enduro full faces from the masses? What have I missed?

And yes I definitely want a full face, I broke my jaw a few years ago and do not want to do it again!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’m using a full face after a face plant, I’m using a bell super mips and really like it, my understanding is it only failed certificatation due to the vent hole being too large? Unless your racing and need certificatation I wouldn’t over look the bell super, I tried on loads until I found one that fitted my big head!!! I’ve just come back from riding in Spain at 30 degrees and I won’t tell you it’s cool but it was manageable in the heat.

me1tdown
    Free Member

I’ve read that elsewhere too, but it worries me that it failed for any reason. What if you were to crash in the rocks? Met showed that it’s possible to pass the test and have reasonable vents. I basically just crossed the super off for that reason.

chakaping
    Free Member

Now I’m paranoid about having a short face.

Can’t help, but I’m sure more brands will be copying the Parachute – it’s such an awesome helmet (apart from the D-ring fasteners).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

testing summary….

There are many full face bicycle helmets on the market, and some are excellent quality and offer excellent protection for you or your kids while you ride downhill. Many helmet manufacturers don’t pursue the ASTM F1952 downhill helmet standard for their helmets – it is not required and it adds cost to the helmet. Just because a helmet does not have the ASTM F1952 standard does not mean it is not safe!

For instance a bunch of lids don’t get the Oz certification as it is too much hassle. I’d rather have one that fitted well than one that passed a certain test.
    The bell is a good lid and the removable chin bar is a good feature the others don’t have.

Northwind

The old down-o-matic is a well vented hat… It’s a proper dh fullface rather than a compromise and so nothing quite like a parachute but it’s a good balance. Might be worth checking out.

And yeah, F1952 has pretty poor adoption, not having it doesn’t mean it’s not a good helmet. (also, it’s not clear from the public release of the spec if it’s actually a chinbar assessment at all; you can pass F1952 with no chinpiece at all and the standard doesn’t seem to incorporate “if present must pass”. Maybe the full standard covers this but it costs money to access it…)

IIRC the 2R fails the test because like SHARP it’s very specific about where the impact tests are, and in Bell’s case, it impacts a spot where there’s a vent so it has no chance of passing.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was just riding the Down-o-matic & Parachute on consecutive days in 30deg heat.

The Parachute is in another league for heat management. Much closer to an open face lid.

golo
    Free Member

What’s up with the D Ring fasteners? Works well for me…. although I didn’t buy it until I’d seen a post on here that said something like ‘don’t ever undo the strap, it’s long enough to just loosen and then take the helmet off’. It’s true too, basically the same length as the outline of the chin guard.

chakaping
    Free Member

I find them a faff to do/undo, probably fine for a longer ride but a right PITA when doing shuttle runs in the Italian heat the other week.

On the upside, I bought it as I have a recently broken nose and am not really supposed to be MTBing yet – and it managed to save an awkward conversation at the hospital when I crashed onto my face in Finale.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Poc Cortex flow?
    Another proper full face designed to be a bit lighter and better vented. not tried one myself though

poah
    Free Member

whats up with the chin guard, is it not positioned to protect your face?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Lazer do the REVOLUTION, a chain guard is out/due out, not sure on certs etc
    but was told it be same cert as there full face ones.

gra

I’m also looking for similar. As for the Super 2R failing certification I was just watching this this morning – looks pretty good to me if the fit is ok.

Super 2R

singlespeedstu

Anyone know when the new Giro Switchblade style lid will be out?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Bell user here. Works fine, if it fits you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyone know when the new Giro Switchblade style lid will be out?

Mate was at the Aussie launch last week so any day now really

As for the d-rings it’s just more of a faff than a clip.

takisawa2

Wore my Bell S2R all day at Bike Park Wales yesterday.
    Yes it’s warm, but not half as bad as I expected.
    It fits me like a glove too.

And watching that video, it’s tested by men in lumberjack shirts, so it must be good.

timidwheeler

I have a Kali Avatar and a Bell 2r. I like them both. I tend to use the Kali for pure downhill and the 2r with or without the chin bar for everything else.

The Kali is a bit more solid and the 2r is much cooler. They are both nice and light.

singlespeedstu

As for the d-rings it’s just more of a faffsafer than a clip.

No point in having a lid that works attached by a stupid little plastic clip.
    On XC helmets that don’t do a lot it’s fine on anything a bit stronger you may as well ride round without it done up.

poah
    Free Member

on anything a bit stronger you may as well ride round without it done up.

never had one come off on any crashes I’ve had – can you provide evidence to back up this claim?

singlespeedstu

What you looking for? pictures/videos or just the fact that any other sport that use helmets with the same kind of protection that a good FF offers using D rings.
    You do what you want but if I’d gone to the trouble of wearing a FF I’d want it to be attached in the appropriate manner.

poah
    Free Member

well you are making a claim that a lot of helmets are unsafe because of their clip, it would be good to see the evidence that convinced you of this.

singlespeedstu

well you are making a claim that a lot of helmets are unsafe because of their clip

No I’m not.
    As i said

You do what you want.

And I’ll wear what I think is right for me
    Having said that try turning up at a proper enduro with a helmet held on with a small plastic clip and see how quickly they tell you it’s not appropriate…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having said that try turning up at a proper enduro with a helmet held on with a small plastic clip and see how quickly they tell you it’s not appropriate…

My fully approved for DH 661 Full Face that I raced countless DH races in and was issued to the Trek Gravity Girls WC DH team a few years back has a “little plastic clip” I’ve raced lots in it, this year I raced Enduro with the guys organising the EWS out here in Oz and it was considered fine.

No point in having a lid that works attached by a stupid little plastic clip.
    On XC helmets that don’t do a lot it’s fine on anything a bit stronger you may as well ride round without it done up.

Sounds like you are claiming it’s not strong enough to be safe. Yes do what you want but lets not go down the opinion=evidence route.

singlespeedstu

My fully approved for DH 661 Full Face that I raced countless DH races in and was issued to the Trek Gravity Girls WC DH team a few years back has a “little plastic clip” I’ve raced lots in it, this year I raced Enduro with the guys organising the EWS out here in Oz and it was considered fine.

Mike.
    I was talking about proper enduros.
    Not people fannying around on pushbikes. 😛

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was talking about proper enduros.
    Not people fannying around on pushbikes

Ah the people dicking around on motorbikes…

I would still like to see some evidence they are not good enough though

singlespeedstu

If the plastic clip is good enough for you that’s fine by me.
    I’ll go with what I trust.

poah
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

If the plastic clip is good enough for you that’s fine by me.
    I’ll go with what I trust.

so your opinion is based on no actual facts like religion.

stewartc
    Free Member

Book marking this as in need of a new lightweight helmet after cracking my Super recently, and not wanting another.
    Apart from Kali Avatar, Bell Switchblade, POC Cortec and MET Parachute, any others, I’m looking for something to use in the tropics so useful 30 degree heat/90% humidity?

singlespeedstu

Can’t believe I nearly got sucked in to an argument over a plastic clip.
    Well done for reminding me why I don’t bother with this place much any more though.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

FIDLOCK for the win!

me1tdown
    Free Member

I’m also looking for similar. As for the Super 2R failing certification I was just watching this this morning – looks pretty good to me if the fit is ok.

Super 2R

Funny, that video is one of the things that makes me write off the S2R, the amount of flex in the chinbar is disconcerting. The Bell strikes me as being much closer to an ‘XC full face’ than a ‘lightweight and well ventilated proper full face’.

There’s also the Uvex Jakkyl Hde which looks like it might actually be coming out soon.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Have an S2R – it’s not a downhill helmet and Bell never wanted you to use it as a downhill helmet, that was part of the reason why they didn’t redesign to get through the downhill certification.

The chinbar is completely fine for mitigating trail speed offs – if you’re riding at downhill speeds wear a proper full face.

To be fair, I’d rather the chinbar flexed and mitigated most of the impact instead of completely resisting the impact like some chinbars – less forces put through your neck.

Potdog
    Free Member

The colours on that UVEX….my god!

richwales

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu4uEMNchwE[/video]
    The uvex one – is the chinguard at a steep angle?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight, well vented full face helmet. Like a Met Parachute, but not..’ is closed to new replies.