Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lightweight Tyres
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Running SB8s at the moment on my weight weenie bike, my project is to get it as light as possible, whilst still being a functional MTB.

Just had some Geax Aka Pluma delivered & they look like I could put my finger through them.

Anyone ran them? Or know of a better option?

onandon
    Free Member

To be light as possible and useable. I went down this rout for a project and found all lightweight tyres except the kenda klimas to be totally shite.
    Next best were Fast Fred’s.

These were 26 inch so not sure what size you need. Personally I wouldn’t bother with these tyres again. They don’t work is most conditions so what you gain on the straights you’ll lose in corners.

jam-bo

I’ve just moved from SB8’s to ikon’s as summer tyres.

I think there isnt much in it weight wise but the ikons roll better and grip better than the SB8’s did.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    everyone
    Free Member

Could try something like a thunder burt or a racing ralph if you like cornering. I’d get the snakeskin version since it isn’t much heavier but its considerably tougher!

Oh and pics, weight and parts list obviously!

emyr

Wait for autumn then fit these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-wild-mud-advanced-mtb-tyre/rp-prod116038
    £20 each, 590g.

My other half loved hers until I pointed out she was wearing them down too quickly. Replaced with some Hutchinson Cougar 2.25″ which were light and cheap but aren’t anywhere near as grippy.

robcolliver
    Free Member

I’ve tried loads of tyres and keep coming back to the SB8’s.
    The lightest were Spotted Cats (wouldn’t keep me upright in a light shower). The grippiest were some tractor tyre of a Michelin (filled with mud and then slid sideways)

Best grip, fastest shedding and longest lasting (2750 miles off road with no punctures) are still the 8’s.

If its not broke…..

chriswilk
    Free Member

I have a thunder burt that I can sell you for £20 if it’s a 29er you are after.
    Silly light and fast, but only for the rear.
    Used for only 8km so new

amedias
    Free Member

Geax Aka Pluma delivered & they look like I could put my finger through them

@295g per tyre I’m not surprised!

Or know of a better option?

Only other tyres I know of at similar weight ar Maxxis Maxxlites and they have a reputation for being like condoms too.

Any decent low tread fast XC rubber coming in at 400-450g would be better I think, going sub 400g normally puts you into the realm of either very flimsy, or very small.

I’m a big fan or Maxxis Larsen TT if you like the SB8 style lots of small knobbles but fast rolling tread, they come in at about 380g for the 1.9, 480g-500g for the 2.0 (which is bizarrely significantly bigger than the 0.1inch increase would suggest).

Some people seem fond of Schwalbe Thunder Burts, but I’ve not used them myself so can’t offer anything more other than ‘look into them’ style advice.

There are some places where going super light just isn’t worth the bother as it get’s too fragile.

*all weights assuming 26in

ianfitz
    Free Member

Maxxis aspens are worth a look. They are surprisingly grippy (for a tyre with that little tread!)

digger95
    Free Member

My kenda karma 29er 1.9 was great on the rear, 610g. It died recently after 3 years and well over 1,000 miles. Volume was ok, very nearly as big as a 2.2 conti.

nedrapier

Conti X-Kings in RaceSport flavour (485g for 26 x 2.2) were my choice when I went down the “usable weight” weenie route. Ashima rotors and A2Z Ti skewers too. Skewers got ditched pretty quickly, still happy with the rotors, and happier still with the tyres. They might not be wearing as well as the SB8s might, though.

adsh
    Free Member

I have a thunder burt that I can sell you for £20 if it’s a 29er you are after

Snakeskin?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve used IRC Mibro in the past and will never ever use lightweight tyres again. They are a box ticking exercise, bought simply so you can say “ooooh look what my bike weighs”. They’re not designed for real mountain biking.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

That’s my point, the bike is built to be light, yet functional for XC use.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Oh, and 26” tyres.

Spec of the bike for ‘everyone’

On One Whippet Frame
    Pace RC 31 Carbon/Ti Forks
    Stans ZTR Crest Wheels on Hope Hubs
    XT Cranks, BB, Shifter, Cassette, Rear Mech 1×9
    Ritchey Superlogic Carbon Bars
    Clarks M2 Brakes, Alligator Aries Rotors
    SB8 Tyres
    X9 Light Chain
    DMR V6 Plastic Pedals
    Superstar Foamy Grips
    Exotic Seatpost
    Charge Knife Saddle
    Uberbike 30T N/W Chainring

Want to take it to Llandegla and go at the Blue as fast as possible.

timmys

Don ‘t really know nuffink about weight weenie tyres but have heard Stan’s The Raven and the Crow mentioned.

onandon
    Free Member

In my experience you’ll go faster with a tyre like the bontrager xr1 at 440 grams over a maxxis 330.
    You have bigger volume and more grip.

I’m a massive weight weenie but sometime you can go too light.

chriswilk
    Free Member

adsh- the thunder burt is raceguard, not snakeskin

njee20
    Free Member

On and on has it. If you want to weigh your bike then Maxxlite 285s are the way to go. If you want to ride it then something knobblier and heavier will be faster and more enjoyable. Rocket Rons are my preferred lightweight, fully useable tyre. IMO the carcass is too heavy on Bontragers, the XR0 is akin to a Furious Fred in grip, but weighs more than a Ron.

chriswilk
    Free Member

wheels can be lightened, american classic race would save you 200g and are plenty strong, expensive though

brassneck

Roadbike cassette (12-25) might save a few grammes at the expense of a few low gears. I’ve never weighted them, I’d rather have the 34 tooth there.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight Tyres’ is closed to new replies.