Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Lightweight tent..the best?
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Never used an Akto as I don’t like sleeping with the canvas that close to my face, but Hilleberg put together really solid tents. I have a Hilleberg Nallo GT which I tend to use for solo camping when I have the dogs with me, which has been solid as a rock in all sorts of bogging weather – weighs around 2.2kg packed in the sack, but I appreciate the extra room if I need to sort out wet dogs in the extended porch.

If I was looking for a lighter tent, I’d be tempted by the MacPac Microlight that Matt mentioned earlier – think it’s 1.5kg, and has a really solid groundsheet.

brack
    Free Member

Doh…not even heard of that tent. Looks as if it would struggle in high winds due to its loftiness.

The link got me looking at the laser photon though…nice

molgrips
    Free Member

I just sold a 3 man tent that weighed 2.5kg, so 2.2 isn’ tlight.

ElShalimo

Force 10 Helium 100 – my mate has one and he really likes it. Roomy for 1 but you’d have to be a very close friend to share it though. I’m 6’1″ and I think it’s cramped inside and very low to the floor.
    It’s a good all round lightweight, well made and robust but the design flaws for me are that it is so low to the floor, when it’s blowing a hoolie you can’t get in and out without a lot of effort and possibility of getting the inner wet.
    Force10 are good tents. Strong, reliable and have been around for years. They are Vango’s premium brand.

vorlich
    Free Member

FWIW, I just sold my 4 year old Akto for £2 more than I paid for it. Good tent, but inner too close to the end of nose IMO.

Now using a TrailStar, which requires a walking pole or similar.

boblo
    Free Member

Vango Force 10’s used to be good tents in a heavy/orange/cotton/Outdoor Ed kind of way.

They haven’t had that pedigree for years choosing to chase the mass market and in doing so, leaving their lofty quality perch.

I recall 4 of us in a proper Force 10 (tent and wind) in Torridon years ago when my l/w backpacking tent was destroyed. The Force 10 was a a tough old brute but I wouldn’t want to carry it 🙂

wl
    Free Member

xcracer1 – what was wrong with your Voyager Superlite – interested to know.

I’ve got one myself and it seems nice and spacious for one (and it does just sleep 2 average sized blokes), reasonably light and easy to pitch. Been in some strong winds and the front pole bent but didn’t snap. I wouldn’t fancy its chances in seriously strong winds though – it contorts pretty badly, presumably owing to lightweight poles. Cocktail stick pegs were a joke. I like the look of my mate’s Macpac Micorlight as a more robust option. Probably wouldn’t by the Voyager again, and defo wouldn’t pay full retail.

matt_outandabout

I’ve had bad experiences with Vango. They dont’ stack up on paper, nor in my experience in real life.

Our 10 Vango’s are better than the 10 Wild Country’s we have, built better, better fabric and easier for ‘non campy’ people, but not as well designed and bit heavy.

I am torn between the Hilleberg akto…
    And the Terra Nova Laser comp 1….

Akto is waaaay better on a hill, in a blow and for space.

Basil

I’m in the third year of using a Terra Nova Laser 2010 (The one with two doors)for bikepacking.
    Pitch it in less than five mins.Plenty of space for one and cosy when the wife tried bike camping.No problems with it staying up or condensation. It is lasting really well.
    Drys out well.
    But like a lot of TN tents advice is not to leave pitched in sunlight!

Six Moons Designs Skyscape cuben. I think Terra Nova are just taking the piss now; nice tents, but they are not that good and they are cramped. I had a Go Lite Shangri La – horrible tent. Not tried much else; but now I have a Six Moons Haven the old Laser stays indoors. Hope this helps. Mac

Gordy
    Free Member
    Rikoshea
    Free Member

Gram counter gear solo lighthouse. around 1k with poles (sold seperately) single skin. basically like a big posh bivvy. I got mine for £80 unused rrp250

househusband

If of any interest; F&T are doing the TN Laser Comp 1 for £132 for one week.

spandex_bob

I’m pretty impressed with my TN Laser photon; bought for mountain marathons it’s also done loads of short trips, plus a 3wk solo Iceland trip (super-windy, dry), and a 5 wk NZ trip (sand flies, soggy). Granted it’s cosy, but it weighs in at <700g, and once you get the knack for pitching it (to avoid flappage) and organising gear it’s hard to justify more weight for more space. It’s the durability I’m impressed with – still looks new-ish and works fine. Needs some stronger (alp kit ti) pegs for multi day use though.

brack
    Free Member

Yip cheers matey at that price I bought one…. 😆

Will see how I get on with it…rather than keyboard pondering.

If its no good I can sell on..

Bloomin marvellous

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That looks nice! If I had the spare cash I’d buy it for my Tour Divide attempt in 20xx where xx is a large number.

Anyone else fancy a bash at the Tour Divide?

josemctavish
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2 man version of this:

Scarp

It’s under 1.5kg in it’s summer guise and goes up to 2kg for the tough winter configuration with extra poles. Absolutely love it – the 2 man has double openings, which is great for sharing. One day mine will be doing the Great Divide, god only knows when…

brack
    Free Member

Would love to matey…and could get time off. When are you thinking?….god?

MSP

Anyone else fancy a bash at the Tour Divide?

Yes

But it is a long term plan, I am hoping that if this gets repeated next year I will do it, then the tour divide the year after.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Gordy – Member

Shangri la 3?

I’ve got one of these. Packs down quite small even with the inner nest and pegs/pole. Weigh around/a smidge under 2kg I think.

You do need to be sure to get it pegged taut otherwise the rain will blow up and under.

Gordy
    Free Member

I fancy one for taking the youth on mini cycle tour camping trips, shedbrewed. Cannot wait.

I don’t think my Akto would be quite as good with a toddler in it! :mrgreen:

josemctavish
    Free Member

So that’s four volunteers for the Tour Divide, could form a splinter STW version…

Pieface

I bought a Blacks Octane 1 for £80 a few years ago. Its a copy of a Macpac Microlight. It suffers from having only a one way zip and is missing a peg point halfway along the door and the front guy line gets in the way (but I think the Macpac does the same) however it weighs in at under 1.8kg (or less – its light enough that I haven’t bothered weighing it properly – that is titanium pegs / dyneema guys etc. would make it lighter) and has a good sized porch. It has also stood up to some fierce weather.

The main drawback is the size – as a 1 man tent its quite generous compared to others but moving about is always a bit of a compromise. If you’re always on the move then its fine, but its not really a shelter for taking it easy in bad weather. Also on very cold nights condensation has been a problem, but then the flysheet does come down very low.

If you can afford it go for a lightweight 2 man tent rather than a 1 man tent, you’ll appreciate the extra space on those nights you aren’t in the pub / can’t sit outside.

hitman
    Free Member

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Vaude_Hogan_Ultralight_Argon_2__person_Tent/
    big enough for 2 roomy for 1
    I’m 6’3″ and have been using for a few years, mainly wild camping
    less than 1.5kg as well

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight tent..the best?’ is closed to new replies.