Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Lightweight tent & sleeping bag
  • marcus
    Free Member

I’m dipping my toe into multi day mountain running – thinking about the Rab MM next month as a starter. Has anyone got any recomendations for v.lightweight tents and sleeping bags ? Ta

Cougar

*Watches with interest*

I’ve been eyeing up the Wild Country Zephyros 2 for ages, it’s supposed to be the definitive light tent. However, a night in a similar shaped tent (Cobra 2) a few weeks back made me suddenly realise that a side-opening tent pitched into the wind offers little protection from the elements if you want to sit and cook. Mate of mine had a similar one… Vango maybe?… and was happily sat in his front porch whilst I was getting battered by the elements. So now I’m not so sure.

Got a camp mat? The NeoAir XLite is ace, weighs nothing and packs down smaller than a can of beans.

pete68
    Free Member

Just used an alpkit ordos 2 on a multi day trip. Very light and goes up pretty quick. bit tight for 2 but plenty of room for 1. Small porch is handy for leaving things like shoes out of the tent but still undercover.

peterfile
    Free Member

Wild Country Zephyros 2

I took one of these home, pitched it, then took it back.

It’s a great wee tent, really well put together for the money…but the emphasis is on the wee part. Fine for one with kit, too small for two IMO. As you’ve already said, the side opening can either be great or a disaster depending on where the wind is blowing from!

boblo
    Free Member

Ferk the budget. Terra Nova Laser Competition and PHD Minim (get for the Minimus if you’re really going ultralight). Next!

convert

One of the MRS Hubba range (HP or NX, hubba or Hubba Hubba) of tents is on my wish list.

Bag – I asked a question re bags for the wider guy yesterday. Now lusting at the PHDs, but the cost is a bit eye watering!

Cougar

Fine for one with kit, too small for two IMO.

TBF, that’s tents generally really. Any 2-man tent is going to be “cosy” with two people; I’d want a 3-man for two campers, certainly on a multi-day expedition.

For the OP on his jack jones, I’d be looking at a lightweight 2-man.

marcus
    Free Member

Terra Nova lase Photon 2 seams to be at the top of the list at the moment.
    Cougar – Was probably going with the small X lite. – Have you used 1 in anger ?
    peterfile – It’ll probably be me on my own most of the time. Im going 2 man for when I take the eldest daughter cycle touring in a couple of years.

marcus
    Free Member

These guys seem to have some nice kit.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk

Any experiences ?

boblo
    Free Member

That’s the kiddy Marcus, they’ve just changed the name. I’ve had one for a few years. A* for solo use.

I’ve used Ultralight Outdoor Gear many times. They’re ace.

Now get the PHD Minim as well and a NeoAir Xlite and you’ve got the full house 😀

aP
    Free Member

I’m quite taken by some of the Zpacks gear – might look into one of these

Cougar

Cougar – Was probably going with the small X lite. – Have you used 1 in anger ?

I’ve got the full-length one, picked it up from Decathlon for silly money (I think in hindsight it was mispriced). I don’t know about ‘anger’ but I’ve spent, eh, a couple of weeks’ worth of nights on it now I think. The only minor issue I had is that it takes a bit of trial and error to get the pressure right so that it’s comfy, but that’s true of most camp mats. Once you’ve found the ‘sweet spot’ though it’s fantastic, can’t fault it.

marcus
    Free Member

Boblo / Cougar. – It appears that my instinct of kit choice may be the way to go. Need to add in the Jetboil and rucksack as well !
    Wife is going to go mental when she ‘reviews’ the bank account 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

bag wise, I’d go for PHD minin 400 or Mountain Equipment Zero range. You get what you pay for in sleeping bags. Personally, I’d opt for a zip and slightly more weight penalty, to regulate my heat, but that’s purely a personal thing, that would cut out the PHD for me. I’ve used an ME Dewline (old ME Zero) and they are very warm for their size and weight and pack down really small. I think my ME Dewline weighs 700gms.

irc

Personally, I’d opt for a zip and slightly more weight, to regulate my heat, but that’s purely a personal thing, that would cut out the PHD for me

Zips are options on PHD bags. I’m also lusting after a new light bag to replace my aging lightweight bag with around 250 nights use. Though actually it still works Ok. So I’ll be shelling out to save 100g or so and gain a bit of comfort. Mainly going for a new PHD bad for the custom width and length as my current by is usable but snug and at 6ft3 I’m a bit long for many bags.

boblo
    Free Member

I don’t have a zip on my Minim but do on all my other bags. The Minim as standard is quite a straight cut so if you’re a tubber, you might need a bigger cut.

Not sure on the Jet boil. They’re pretty heavy and you’ll only get the benefit of the reactor type pans on longer trips (i.e. the gas saving outweighs the increased kit weight). For weekenders (up to ~4 days), get a Micro Rocket, MSR Titan Kettle and 100g gas canister. That’ll do. For longer trips (and/or where gas is more difficult to get hold of) I carry a 230g cannister and use a reactor pot which uses ~30% less fuel.

BTW For the ME aficionados, Peter Hutchinson (PHD) is also the bod behind ME before it became a bit more mainstream…

Cougar

Need to add in the Jetboil

Never used a Jetboil, but Go Outdoors to a “two piece cookset” which is brilliant (despite being HiGear) and a fraction of the price. Basically a pan and mug, the pan has a heat exchanger on the bottom. Weighs very little, and has room to store gas and stove inside it. Jetboil is almost certainly better, but it might be worth a look if you’re trying to keep to a wife-friendly budget.

EDIT: This one.

honeybadgerx

Sleeping Bag – Rock and Run are doing Rab top-bags for ~£80 if I remember rightly. I’ve been using one for a couple of years now bikepacking, and with a neoair underneath find it plenty warm down to a couple below (sometimes need to put hat and socks on), though I’m a warm sleeper. It’s also referred to as the ‘chastity bag’ by my gf as it doesn’t have a zip and is pretty snug…

We’ve got a Force Ten Helium 200 which is ace, ~1.3kg and was about £200 I think. They also do a 100 if you’re going solo.

footflaps

TBF, that’s tents generally really. Any 2-man tent is going to be “cosy” with two people; I’d want a 3-man for two campers, certainly on a multi-day expedition.

If you’re running with it in your pack all day, then weight is more important over size, esp for MMs. A cosy tent is also warmer as you won’t be taking much in the way of warm clothing on a MM.

dknwhy

Lunar solo tarp tent, cumulus quilt, neoair xlite. Sub 2kg total, maybe sub 1.5kg depending on what quilt you opt for.

BadlyWiredDog

For the OP on his jack jones, I’d be looking at a lightweight 2-man.

As above, race tents are slightly different game. You should be looking for something sub-1000g if you’re serious and just accept that you won’t be having a luxurious night of starfish posture sleep. Helps if you’re good mates with your race partner…

+ whatever it is for PHD sleeping bags.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

does anyone have any experience of those sleeping bags that are only one insulated side and you slot a karrimat/air mat in a sleave down the other side?. always seemed to me, in principle, a good idea. I think Macpac used to do one, do they still exist?

IHN
    Stainypants

I have a laser comp and don’t get on with it so much so I’ve switched to biving. I can second the Dewline used it loads this year including biving on Kinder at -5 and I was cosy with a couple of extra layers.

I think you have have a proper tent for mountain marathons bivis and TARPS aren’t allowed.

honeybadgerx

B.A.Nana – Member
    does anyone have any experience of those sleeping bags that are only one insulated side and you slot a karrimat/air mat in a sleave down the other side?

See my post above….

boblo
    Free Member

Those single sided things seem to assume you always sleep on your back. There was a trend in sleeping bags a few years ago for ‘differential fill’; more splodge on the top than the bottom.

Great in theory ’till you turned over in the night and woke up with a cold back. I wouldn’t but then I wouldn’t bother with a quilt unless it was very warm when I use my bag as a quilt anyway.

As for tarps, great when it’s dry, no dew or insects but see how you get on in July down Glen Affric whilst it’s pissing down. Go on. 😀

stevious

All the MM events I’ve done have specified a proper tent with a sewn-in groundsheet. I think they had to be double-walled too.

Have slept in whatever the lightest Terra Nova offering was at the time (a few years ago) and in tents with similar designs (single hoop) from Vango, Macpac and Hilleberg. They were all a bit cosy for 2 people but certainly workable if you sleep top-to-toe. This design has been overwhelmingly the majority choice on any MM I’ve done. All the ones I’ve tried were similar in terms of use, ease of pitching etc with the more expensive ones being a bit lighter or more robust in their materials.

Sleeping bag – something with about 200-250g of down from your manufacturer of choice. Remember you’ll be spooning on an MM so get extra warmth that way.

Cougar

Those single sided things seem to assume you always sleep on your back.

I appreciate I’m Doing It Wrong, but I tend to leave my sleeping bag flat and squirm around inside it rather than take it with me when I turn, if that makes sense. Probably need a lighter bag, thinking about it.

boblo
    Free Member

@cougar. Try that when it’s a bit colder with the hood done up and you’ll get a face full of bag. Breathing through it will just soak the down. Not sure there’s a a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way tho. Your choice, the blue pill or the red…

grum
    Free Member

One of the MRS Hubba range (HP or NX, hubba or Hubba Hubba) of tents is on my wish list.

I’ve got the Hubba NX – really pleased with it. It’s quite roomy for one and has a really decent sized porch. Easy to fit pack/boots in the porch and still have room to cook.

Doesn’t seem like it would stand up to really heavy winds all that well but I haven’t tested this yet.

Edit: really don’t think the standard Hubba would fit two people unless you were very skinny/comfortable with each other! Hubba Hubba isn’t mega heavy though I don’t think.

https://www.facebook.com/grummm/posts/10153358643111474

Very pleased with the Alpkit thermarest rip-off as well. Really lightweight and comfy.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Stainypants – Member
    I can second the Dewline used it loads this year including biving on Kinder at -5 and I was cosy with a couple of extra layers.

Yes, my best bag. I’ve also used it in combo with a Dewline down jacket as a winter and Alps bag. I’ve always been an advocate for light down bag / light down jacket combo rather than weightier bag alone, much more all round practicality.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’ve had my eye on a Snugpack Ionosphere tent/bivvy for a while. Reviews well, currently around 150 or less, could be worth a look?

Cougar

Try that when it’s a bit colder with the hood done up

I’ve never camped when it’s been cold enough to need to do that; I think I run warm generally also. I’m almost certainly carrying “too much bag” but have been erring on being too warm rather than too cold.

matt_outandabout

I remember, back in the day, when my 3kg+ Macpac Minaret was considered ‘light’ and ‘a bit snug’ compared to my mates Quasar’s. 😕

shuhockey
    Free Member

Im currently looking at the Cumulus Quilt 250 and pairing with my thermorest xlite and a silk liner. Rock and run currently doing the RAB top module bag for £69, so tempted by that also. Will be using a bivi bag though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I remember, back in the day, when my 3kg+ Macpac Minaret was considered ‘light’ and ‘a bit snug’

Brilliant tents, I still have my old bigger Olympus and everything is still in great condition ie neoprene ground sheet still waterproof, bungees still got their elasticity etc

boblo
    Free Member

Go on then. I’l do you a Phoenix Phortress back in the 80’s:

djtom
    Free Member

Standard issue for mountain marathons is the classic Terra Nova Laser in one of several guises (competition, photon, ultra, 2 man variants etc) – conservatively I’d estimate that they make up getting on for 75% of all the tents at any MM overnight camp (take a balloon or bright covered ribbon to help identify your tent in the campsite!). Most competitive pairs will use the 1 man version and be very cosy/uncomfortable overnight.

As for sleeping bag, it depends on how brave you are feeling. OMM’s synthetic bag is ~400g and packs very small indeed, but it’s far from being warm. OK for the Saunders and other summer MMs maybe, but too cold for my liking to take on the OMM in late October.

Spin
    Free Member

Just be careful OP. A lot of the advice you are getting is decent enough for general lightweight camping but not for mountain marathons.

A balloonbed is a cheap way of saving a load of weight and space for a MM at a really reasonable price (£22). Useless for anything else though.

Spin
    Free Member

Need to add in the Jetboil

Way too bulky and heavy for a MM.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight tent & sleeping bag’ is closed to new replies.