Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lightweight Tent: Any recommendations?
  • bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

I’m looking for a light 2 man tent, but not wanting to fork out Terra Nova prices. Any thoughts on a good alternative?

euain

It might not be light enough for you – but Alpkit have a sale on at the moment and their Kangri seems to be pretty much a clone of a TerraNova Quasar and is going for £210.

Edit – meant to say, it seems to get pretty good reviews.

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

£200 if you dont want the pegs. Good call. Might just go for that.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not exactly sure what you want, but….
    We have an MSR Holler. It’s a fairly big 3 man, but nice and spacious for 2 with lots of kit. We need space for motorbike or cycle kit when touring.
    It’s under 3kg total, it pitches fast and after 10 days rain in the Isle of Man this year I can confirm its 100% waterproof.
    Not cheap, but not silly money either. £350-ish on a deal with a free footprint IIRC

d45yth
    Free Member

Don’t Terra Nova make another line of tents under the name ‘Wild Country’? They’re basically the same, slighter heavier materials are used and have sensible pegs…Field and Trek usually have the best prices on them.

jamiep
    Free Member

Wild Country Zephyros is a heavier and lower spec copy of the Terra Nova Laser Comp. Wild Country is owned by Terra

boblo
    Free Member

Not sure a Quasar or Quasar copy could be called lightweight…..

I have a couple of lightweights I’m looking to move on if there’s any interest. Obviously I’d recommend either as lightweights 🙂

Brand new North Face Tadpole DL. ~ 2kg 2 person very high quality backpacking tent. Pitched in the garden to check completeness otherwise unused. £200 posted

-ou-

4 month old Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. Fantastic ultra lightweight 1.4kg 2 person backpacking tent. Little used. £200 posted.

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

Descisions descisions! The Seedhouse looks better than the tadpole. It looks like it piches more easily without having to feed the poles through anthing.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Sorry to barge in.. anyone know what Easton’s Kilo 1 person is like? I have no idea about the quality/strength of them but like the sound of it.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

We have had our Vaude Taurus 2 for about 10 years or more and its been brilliant. They were cheap back then, around £100. Nearer £200 now I think?
    About 1.8kg. Light but not mega light, but they do have lighter versions.

We have re-proofed it once but has to be expected given the age. I did buy a much more expensive tent that I can’t remember the name of, but took it back as I decided the Vaude was better.

jameso

anyone know what Easton’s Kilo 1 person is like? I have no idea about the quality/strength of them but like the sound of it.

I’ve used / shared a mate’s 2-man Kilo, liked it enough to buy a 1-man Kilo myself. 860g pack weight and roomy for a minimal 1-man, much more so than a hooped bivi and tbh the 2-man is snug for 2, the 1-man isn’t too bad for 1. Spacious option is buy the 2-man for 1-man use but I’m a mug for super-light and small pack size and prefer to bivi anyway. The 1-man makes a great bug-net w/o the outer fitted or wet-weather option. Deffo a 3-season job though, not one for really stormy conditions. Pitched below trees or behind rocks I reckon it’d be ok though. Light means not as durable as some I expect, but overall quality looks good.

BoardinBob

Some decent looking ones at Decathlon

IanMunro
    Free Member

Descisions descisions! The Seedhouse looks better than the tadpole. It looks like it piches more easily without having to feed the poles through anthing.

Probably true.
    On the plus side, my tadpole tent is about over 20 years old* and still going fine.

*Slightly alarmed by doing the maths though!

gusamc
    Free Member

OP, apologies, slight blag – if you’re near Faringdon or Reading I’ve got an uneeded Tadpole

boblo
    Free Member

@ brizzlebiker

The Seedhouse and Taddy are two different animals. The SL2 is a super light 2 person backpacking tent. Very light materials, mesh inner and rapid erection (!)

The Taddy is a light weight 2 person backpacking/bike packing tent that’s more durable than the SL2. The materials are heavier and the tent more capable of dealing with winter conditions. The DL variant has a full nylon inner instead of the mesh inner of the standard model. This is again a bit better for winter conditions when the mesh one can be a bit draughty. I’ve had both variants and the DL is better for UK conditions.

Either tent is fantastic and very similar in size it just depends if you’re into super light backpacking (SL2) or 3-4 season ‘standard’ backpacking/bike packing (Taddy DL).

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

Brand new North Face Tadpole DL. ~ 2kg 2 person very high quality backpacking tent. Pitched in the garden to check completeness otherwise unused. £200 posted

Could well be up for buying that. I’ve sent you an email…

martinxyz
    Free Member

Thanks for that,James. I noticed them on the Madison newsletter or whatever came through the post so I checked the site. It would definitely be one man for the weight. The trade on one would make sense compared to rrp of some other tent so I might consider it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight Tent: Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.