Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Lightweight, strong MTB wheel suggestions :-) Possible racing content ….
  • letmetalktomark

Morning All,

Looking for some suggestions on the above.

Possibly going to give racing a try out later in the year and I am also on the cusp of needing a pair of new wheels.

I have a set of Pro II’s on Flow rims on my Soul that are fantastic but thinking that there are lighter options out there.

They would need to be fairly strong as I am circa 95kg but ride fairly light – never substantially buckled a wheel 😀

Budget is a maximum of £300 so I understand I am expecting a lot 😆

So then what be your suggestions 🙂

Cheers

MArk

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You haven’t said what dropout standard, but I’m probably going to buy a pr of these for QR http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=7261 , tho I’m 80kgs. Maybe you could get something like that handbuilt but with heavier gauge spokes (and therefore a bit cheaper but heavier perhaps) or just accept the risks involved in buying light wheels.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

buy used, more bang for your buck

letmetalktomark

B.A.Nana – Member

You haven’t said what dropout standard

I always forget something 🙄 but you are right std qr.

Cheers for the suggestion on the Stans – do they have a specified weight limit?

dirtyrider – Member

buy used, more bang for your buck

Acknowledged. But which?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at wheels recently. Reckon I will go for Hope Hoops – Stans Crests on PRO II. The Crests are incredibly light but still have a 21mm internal bead, so must be designed for big tyres and proper thrashing

epicsteve
    Free Member

Stretch the budget and go for some American Classics. I’m heavier than you (and used to be a lot heavier) and mine have given no trouble. Initially I planned just to use them on my Epic and Zion, both of which are light XC bikes, but they now live on my Enduro.

thejesmonddingo

I’ve got the Crest on ZTR from JRA,and they’re ace,not managed to bend them and I weigh 80kg.
    Ian

muddyground
    Free Member

Hope are always a good choice, and I’ve got these on three of my bikes with no reliability issues at all. The Stan’s ZTT rims have taken some punishment on my Pace RC303, and still run true. But I tried Fulcrum Red Metal’s as I was “money constricted” one month when building a XC bike up, and they’ve been excellent. Not as light as the Hope’s, but a slightly cheaper alternative and they seem reliable. Also sometimes with the Hope’s they can look a bit “Dog’s dinner” being built from a variety of slightly mis-matched components.

http://www.muddyground.blogspot.com

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at wheels recently. Reckon I will go for Hope Hoops – Stans Crests on PRO II.

This is what I want to get for XC too. Had a quick spin on a mate’s set and they felt v. quick and v. stiff.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve just got some Pro 2s on Crests as everyday wheels for my Fuel, they weighed 1585g on my scales, which isn’t bad considering they’ll be tough.

The JRA ones look good, but are over £100 more.

stayhigh

What about Superstar hubs with Stans rims?

DaveRambo

I had a similar dilemma and ordered Hope Pro II Evo with Crests for my new build, unless my wife is reading in which case I’ll have some for sale. They looked to be the best value light wheels around. I don’t liek the bling look of American classics – not for this build anyway.

There’s been a delay in the hubs but they should be here soon so I’ll be heading over to PHC for the build and a ride on the Long Mynd in a couple of weeks

stumpy01

Keep looking at American Classics as an upgrade to mine…..bit over budget, but very nice.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s also those Hope pro3 things with crests, which including the three spoked rotors in the weight seemed quite light, not sure how much they are tho.

njee20
    Free Member

Not worth it IMO, they’re not that much lighter, straight pull spokes are a bugger to work with/source, and they’re into the realms of much lighter custom built options for similar money.

letmetalktomark

Cool.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had never even heard of JRA before this thread 😯

Shall have a perusal of their options.

Liking the sound of Pro II hubs and Crests @ circa 1600g 8)

bigjim

I’ve just got the Superstar Stan’s deal with crests and switch hubs and am very impressed. Wheels certainly aren’t the straightest new builds I’ve ever had with slight horizontal and vertical wobbles but the hubs seems cracking and the Stan’s tubeless system is jsut fantastic so far. A LOT cheaper than Hope Hoops.

letmetalktomark

@ bigjim – do you know the weight of the wheelset?

I had tried contacting Superstar Comp by phone to check this previously but to no avail 🙁

nosedive
    Free Member

Ive had wheels from both JRA and the factory built hope ones. JRA are excellent build quality and really nice to be able to customise all of the spoke and nipple options etc.

I had arch \ pro II, really strong, stronger than crest apparently. About 1700g.

You cant deny the value of the hope hoops though if you are happy with the factory options. But they dont do arch, just crest or flow.

nicko74

How about Crests on Hope Pro IIIs? The weight saving won’t be huge, but at that level, there aren’t many cheap ways to shed serious weight!

bigjim

They are pretty light on my horrifically cheap plastic kitchen scales – I think they came to 1620g, but they are cacky scales so wouldn’t put my life on that weight. They feel superlight though, especially tubeless. Seem pretty stiff so far too but I’m a bit lighter than you at about 85kg and ride xc.

njee20
    Free Member

Are they not £230? So about £20 cheaper than the Hopes can be had, by your admission a slightly shonky build, and 50g heavier. I’d still get the Hopes!

Wouldn’t bother with Pro 3s, even the 6 bolt ones without proprietary rotors are a big price jump for little benefit, but several draw backs.

jonnyv
    Free Member

i’m going to sell a pair of Hope Pro3 with Stans ZTR Crest hoops if you’re interested? I’m not very technical on the wheel side of things but i can take pics.4 months old,in good nic.

bigjim

njee20- Where are the pair of Hope on Crests for £250? i was looking for cheap ones but couldn’t find any. Hope 3’s on Crests were about £380 at CRC which is waaay beyond the price of thooperthtar ones.

Wookster

According to stan I mailed them the crests have a limit of 190 lbs or less that’s 86 it’s or 13 st 8 look at arch rims though at 50 grams less than flows I’m wondering if flows are the wat to go.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The Arch rims would be perfect but are only 19mm bead width, so not ideal for bigger tyres. Crest are 21mm and Flow are 22,4mm. Weightwise Arch are only 50g less than Flows

bigjim

Also bear in mind with the hope hubs I think you might need to use a cassette with an alloy spider, so if you don’t have one already thats another £45 or something, with the switch hubs you can use a mortal cassette.

letmetalktomark

Wookster – Member

According to stan I mailed them the crests have a limit of 190 lbs or less that’s 86 it’s or 13 st 8 look at arch rims though at 50 grams less than flows I’m wondering if flows are the wat to go.

Hmmmm.

That’s a bit close for my liking.

Back to the drawing board me thinks ….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight, strong MTB wheel suggestions :-) Possible racing content ….’ is closed to new replies.