Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lightweight skewers, good or bad
  • jonb
    Free Member

I am hovering over the "buy it now" on a set of titanium QR skewers from hong kong on Ebay.

The alternative is to get a set of deore for £5 less on CRC.

So what does the STW population think about lightweight skewers? Will they fail and leave me a bloody mess on the trail or will they be fine?

It's to go on a stumpjumper fs. I'm leaning towards the dependable shimno at the minute as I'm scared of failures.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Without running a few calcs I'd be hard pressed to give you my official opinion. My personal opinion would be that I'd not bother, for the sake of a few grams and with my teeth in mind. Disc brakes and stretchy QRs dont mix.

If you're rim-brake only then go for it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Shimano every time for me (XTR if I'm feeling posh).

druidh
    Free Member

Shimano work the best. Why spend more to save a few grams and take the risk. Isn't Ti a bit stretchy?

jonb
    Free Member

Shimano it is then. I will same my ebay hong kong/taiwan purchases for things less critical.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use Salsa skewers but with the same thinking behind them. I use stainless rods rather than ti

trail_rat
    Free Member

ti xlites for 2 years no probs for me….. jey xc though – anything else id use shimano

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

titanium front skewer with sus forks and disc brakes is a Very Bad Idea. Whatever you think of the Fox v Pinder case, sus forks flex (long forks flex more) and disc brakes put turning forces on forks which effectively stretch the Q/R. When the stress is released the Q/R will have a natural tendency to unwind. Titanium is MORE elastic than steel, so will stretch more than a steel skewer for the same load, making it more likely you'll find your front skewer coming undone and your front wheel coming out.

I wouldnt touch a Ti front skewer with a barge pole, even from a reputable manufacturer. I've had a steel Q/R front come loose on an alpine downhill. Luckily I stopped as I could hear a tinkling sound (which was the disc moving in the caliper) before I rode a jump or drop off, and now use 20mm bolt-thru..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight skewers, good or bad’ is closed to new replies.