Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lightweight Rotors ….. Any problems in use?
  • letmetalktomark

Looking to replace my rotors on a HT build. Going for 160mm & 140mm.

I have seen some fairly snazzy looking Ashima rotors that fit the bill i.e. come in a 140mm size and aren’t too pricy.

Thing is they look a bit fragile – although I have never struck a rotor whilst riding – irrational fear?

They are very light 😕

Any issues with use that you have found?

njee20
    Free Member

Get the KCNC ones from XCRacer, cheap, lighter than Ashimas, and work well. I’ve found marginally more pad wear against Avid rotors, but it is extremely marginal, certainly wouldn’t disuade me from using them. In use they’re exactly the same.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m have a couple of wheelsets / bikes and swap them about depending on conditions. The trail and race wheelsets have ashima rotors on, no isses at all, the brakes do have noticably less power than when used with hope float or magura disks.

(used with LX, hope tech & monos and magura louises without any fit problems if that helps!)

I’ve heard somepeople have experienced ‘pulsing’ when braking but I haven’t

Liking the look of those KCNC ones….

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Had a 180 Ashima on the front of the FS.
    Used with XT brakes and sintered pads.
    Definately light but seemed to “pulse” and induce some judder on the fork after only a short period of use.

The superstar flame rotors are light and haven’t suffered the same problem. I now run these on the hardtail in 180/160 guise. I don’t think there is a 140 though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I use ‘aligator’ rotors on the hardtail, no idea who makes them but pretty light in 160/140mm sizes.

+ pads have lasted an entire winter, and they weren’t new before hand!

+/- power is adequate, I dont need any more, but the levers need squeezing quite hard.

+/- slight buzz/pulse under hevy braking, doesn’t cause any issue though.

– small rotors mean my 15st (of pure rad-core-max muscle) can have the brakes pumping up even on UK decents.

letmetalktomark

Interesting.

Will look at the KCNC ones.

I am also 15st (of pure rad-core-max muscle) but have always felt that my Magura Louise BAT brakes have been fine in use – possibly down to the std Magura rotors that in fact do also “pulse” a bit.

Off to Google …..

njee20
    Free Member

Perhaps I should add that I’m 10.5 stone then and have had no problems. Not sure I’d be running a 140mm rotor if I was 15 stone, each to their own!

Northwind

I’ve got Ashima Airotors on one bike… They were fine with my XTs and Aurigas but there’s a very noticable pulse and noise with my Formula Oros, I’m assuming it’s because they have much smaller pads. They still work fine but it’s offputting. Power seems basically unchanged (friction is complicated, when you reduce the surface area you increase the pressure on what remains so you’re braking harder but on less contact patch)

dobo
    Free Member

i have the older ashima rotors that are still light and have been true on the race mtb for about 2 years now, which is better than the hayes and avid rotors they replaced, think i paid £15 quid each at merlin at the time, good rotors, possibly they increase pad wear but hard to gauge

rickon
    Free Member

Another one for the KCNC Razor rotors, they’re excellent and look gorgeous. I use the 160mm rotors on my big bike.

I’d recommend Clee cycles though, and they are the UK distributors for KCNC – usually next day delivery, and are brilliant with customer support and advice, give them a ring and ask what they think would best 🙂

https://clee-cycles.co.uk/cc/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1270?osCsid=3fls1cknpd37b6b81e7dust5c6

DanW
    Free Member

I use the Ashima AirRotors and have not noticed any loss in performance of feel on my Hopes. A very easy weight saving and they don’t cost the earth.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ashima-Air-Rotor-Disc-Brake-Rotors_26210.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=V01

njee20
    Free Member

XCRacer are cheaper than Clee, and it’s run by a very reputable bunch of guys, I’d still buy from them!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight Rotors ….. Any problems in use?’ is closed to new replies.