Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Lightweight Roady Saddles on MTB,s ??
  • twedspeed
    Free Member

I want my bike as light as poss.
    Can anyone recomend a mega light MTB seat.
    Can you fit a roadie racer type seat ( obv very light) to a MTB.
    Mines a full susser – does this make it easier on ones backside.
    The Saddle on mine is 220 grams – Please only sugest lighter Saddles – Thanks.

globalti
    Free Member

Charge Spoon or Charge Knife. Cheap and light, lots of them are used on MTBs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course you can.

curvature
    Free Member

I have a Titanium Spoon and a Selle Italia Carbon/Titanium saddles.

Both good saddles, the Spoon I got for £37 from Wiggle a few months ago and the Selle Italia about £50 a few years ago as it was a factory test/demo saddle, new it should have been over £100.

The Selle Italia one weighs 138g so is the lighter of the two.

One word of warning, if you where baggy shorts they wear the leather on any saddle and I took the Selle Italia one off during winter as it was getting trashed.

Other than than that if it fits your backside use whatever you want.

robbo
    Free Member

I have the 138g Selle Italia saddles on all my bikes road and mtb. No crash resistant but suit me fine.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I have a Charge Knife on my road bike, liked it so much, I’ve got one on one of my MTBs too and have no probs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If weight is that much of an issue just go without…..

Anything with Ti rails will make the ride a little more bearable (if the saddle fits your arse)

All depends how much you want to be able to sit on it rather than loose weight. I’d probably go for slightly more comfort than weight if I was going to sit on it all day.

PaulD
    Free Member

I have 4 Selle Italia ‘lightweights’.
    SLR Carbonio is a bit harsh, but under 150g.
    SLR XC has Ti rails and is more compliant at 180g.
    Flite with Ti is all-round excellent at 200g.
    Flite Gel Flow is more padding for all-day excursions but 270g.

I agree with one above about these leather-faced saddles getting a pasting in the winter mud, so use another bike with a cheapy synthetic saddle for gloopy rides.

PaulD

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve used Sella Italia Flites on road and MTB bikes since 1990 just because I find them so comfortable.

Wiggle have the Selle Italia Flite 1990 (Original) Saddle at £64.95 which is expensive for a ‘plain’ saddle but worth it IMHO.

I’d buy a saddle that fits/works for you and ignore if it’s a road or MTB saddle.

HTH

njee20
    Free Member

As I said on Bike Radar:

If you spend enough then you can go silly light, the Becker Carbon SL is 47g and $500 (75kg weight limit too):

Whilst fitting ‘road’ saddles per se is ok, be wary if you look at the ultra ultra light stuff as it’ll often be too fragile for MTB use.

If you really want to just make your bike light, rather than nice to ride, then something like this is only £45 and 100g, but not very comfy.

Other lightweight options worth looking at are the Selle Italia SLR (although I used to wear through the cover in less than a year), Spesh Toupe SL (I found the body’s tended to snap, not tried the Toupe Pro with carbon rails) or the Spesh Phenom SL or Pro – I found the SL really comfy and durable, not tried the Pro, but no reason it wouldn’t feel the same, but be a bit lighter. Will save 60g or so.

TiRed

The original Flite Ti is a fine saddle for both on and off road. 200g, crash robust, not too expensive. There is a reason why they’ve been brought back. They are just so good. I am also riding an Arione, but think that this is too long for off road. YAMV#

#Your a##e may vary

flange
    Free Member

If you really want to just make your bike light, rather than nice to ride, then something like this is only £45 and 100g, but not very comfy.

I’ve heard they’re meant to be quite comfy. I’m tempted to have a punt on that for £45…

njee20
    Free Member

Yes me too frankly!

emanuel
    Free Member

Recovered (by me) slr.was 140g,now 170g.On a hustler.it’s survived a few falls.some cotton tape on the sides helps.
    I use it because it’s comfortable.I had a gobi and didn’t like it.

flange
    Free Member

Yes me too frankly!

Just bought one – we’ll see how well I get on with that!

twedspeed
    Free Member

WOW excellent and well informed replies – Thanks to everyone. 😀

gee
    Free Member

Romin SL/Expert here – technically a road saddle but just a fantastic shape. Same shell and rail snapping issues as the Toupe/SLR though. I think with any light seat used for racing the lifespan will be limited.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Fizik Tundra on both mtb and road bike here, well comfy

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight Roady Saddles on MTB,s ??’ is closed to new replies.