• This topic has 33 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • lightweight long travel hardtails. wots yours ?
  • swompy
    Free Member

No doubt this topic gets covered regularly, but what does your steed weigh ? I have an orange p7 which has been on a diet since its birthweight was a hefty 31 lb , it now comes in at 26lb with xt transmission, hope hoops and dt swiss forks, easton carbon bits and x2 brakes. I dont think i can take the steel hardtail much further but I like the ride. contemplating either a 130mm carbon or titanium frame that hopefully has similar ride characteristics, I dont do any hardcore riding so dont need anything to burly.

messiah
    Free Member

Mmmbop with Revs and Flow Hoops which is 26lbs… But I’ve killed the forks and dinged the wheels so I fear for the frame with the way I ride. More burly Replacement has been ordered.

Rickos
    Free Member

Been thinking about this question too, but most 140mm hardtail frames are steel. None of the majors seem to make an off the peg bike using an alloy frame without doing an overbuild job on it (Commencal Ramones, etc.). Are there any alloy 140mm frames out there in the Soul/456 sort of mould? Or even full bikes? 25 to 26lbs with 120 to 140mm travel would be nice.

EDIT – I have an old horiz drop-out Chameleon that I run 9 speed and that’s probably 27ish pounds.

swompy
    Free Member

Would be interested to know if anyone rides the on one carbon frames, and if theyre durable?

chiefgrooveguru

My Soul is just under 27lbs with Float 140 bolt-thrus, Gravity Dropper, Flows on Pro 2 Evos, Avid Elixirs, 1×9 transmission, flat pedals and big tyres. Nothing has been changed to make it lighter – all just not too expensive, fairly strong/stiff, not too heavy, or what came on my old Boardman HT Pro (bars, cranks, shifter and mech). If your Orange really is 26lbs then a Soul frame would drop up to 2lbs depending on the era of the P7. I’m not sure I’d want to ride a bike much lighter than mine the way I ride it though!

dave1980
    Free Member

will report back tomorrow. Finished building this yesterday:

will get first run round Staveley tomorrow. (cables/hoses now tidied!)

Rorschach
    Free Member

It will be a Canfield yelli screamy with Revs,arches, xtr 1×10,reverb in about 8 weeks.

Vortexracing

Mine @ 25.3lbs

P1040284 by eastham_david, on Flickr

with bont mud x tyres and an I beam post it’s 23.4lbs

swompy
    Free Member

I will be interested to hear how the carbon rides. P7 does weight 26lb,granted I have lighter wheel/tyres than some would run, crests and nobbly nicks. weighed on reuben heaton spring ballance back from my fishing days.

xcneil
    Free Member

I have a 2012 cannondale flash ultimate with a set of carbon tubulars for dry sunny races, weight not sure not been weighed yet

xcneil
    Free Member

oops just realised the thread title ….. 😳

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I have a 2012 cannondale flash ultimate with a set of carbon tubulars for dry sunny races, weight not sure not been weighed yet

Not long travel though is it…

swompy
    Free Member

my bro has a scott carbon roadbike and we weighed it at 17lb , tho that hasnt a great deal of travel either.!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have one of the first Shands ever built, w/130mm…does that count?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

my bro has a scott carbon roadbike and we weighed it at 17lb

Awesome. But this isnt a thread for heavy weight road bikes!

Northwind

Carbon 456…

Shiny by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Had a few changes since then but still basically the same- 25lbs with fat tyres and a gravity dropper. Nothing too delicate on it. That’s actual 25lbs btw, not internet 25lbs 😉

I really like it fwiw… Has a bit of compliance to the rear end, and I’ve stuck a slackening headset in it, so it’s ended up with most of the best bits of my old Soul and Mmmbop, with none of the vices. Does feel a bit long, and doesn’t climb as well as either of those 2 for some reason, but that’s fair enough. Not perfect but still very good.

paulo6624
    Free Member

IMG_4821 by ps6175, on Flickr

Current ltht of choice about 27.5 at the moment could could easily be slimmed

edoverheels
    Free Member

Thread hijack-sorry
    Vortexracing. I have a Soul very similar to yours (but orange)
    Currently only has a top chainguide (Superstar), dropping the chain a lot and so need to have a bottom guide as well. I have a Superstar top and bottom guide on another bike that works perfectly, never drops a chain but noisy on the bottom jockey wheel and did not want this on the Soul.
    You seem to have an MRP top and bottom guide on yours, is that noisy?

mboy
    Free Member

Currently about 24.5lb when devoid of waterbottles and anything else I’ve strapped to the frame. When first built up, it was 23.3lb, but had Carbon bars and 9spd XTR not 10spd XT (which is quite a bit heavier) and lighter tyres. Though I’m sure if I slung my Mud X’s on it’ll dip back under 24lb.

Again, these are actual weights, not internet made up weights. And they include the pedals too! Here’s a pic of the bike when it was just built, coming in at 23.3lb…

Ironically the Bolt through Reba’s are slightly heavier than the QR Revelations they replaced, though stiffer, and I added more weight with the chain device as well as with the 10spd XT stuff and Alloy Sunline bars to replace the Carbon Eastons.

mboy
    Free Member

Thread hijack-sorry
    Vortexracing. I have a Soul very similar to yours (but orange)
    Currently only has a top chainguide (Superstar), dropping the chain a lot and so need to have a bottom guide as well. I have a Superstar top and bottom guide on another bike that works perfectly, never drops a chain but noisy on the bottom jockey wheel and did not want this on the Soul.
    You seem to have an MRP top and bottom guide on yours, is that noisy?

I’ll weigh in as I have done the same, and now run the same MRP Lopes device as Vortexracing. The MRP Lopes isn’t silent, but it’s a lot quieter than most chain devices. It’s also a country mile better for chain retention than the Superstar top only guide (but then so is everything else!).

Decent Chain Devices are silly expensive when you look at them on paper, but the old addage “buy cheap, buy twice” seems to apply here as every cheap chain device I’ve ever used has either been really noisy, or won’t keep the chain on, or both!

Vortexracing

As mboy syas, not perfectly silent, but not that noisy that I notice it TBH.

daft money for what they are though.

yip, I would recommend one.

orena45

My MmmBop, around about 27.5lbs

hora
    Free Member

Mboy what genesis model is it? Can’t see on my blackberry

br
    Free Member

I’ve a 456Ti, basically bought after riding a steel 456 and wanting to loose more weight but didn’t want the stiffness of an aluminium frame.

tbh If it’d been now I’d have just bought one of the carbon 456’s.

Weight could be sub 24lbs for a 20″ – full XTR, Crests, carbon etc – but once Cruds, light-brackets etc are added its now sub 25lbs (Park scales).

chakaping
    Free Member

hora I’m pretty sure that’s the Altitude Ti

northwind – what’s your spec? my c456 was 26lbs dead with similar bits but no dropper post.

mattstreet

Ti456 with 130mm fork:

Comes in at just over 24 lbs, but I like the level of kit on it (XT, Hope ProII’s on Crests) – nothing too flimsy. 🙂

nicko74

Medium Soda with ’07 Revs at 130mm, Hope Pro IIs on Crests, mostly XT drivetrain. I guess around 25lbs, but I’ve not got round to weighing it. Or taking a decent pic, so you’ll just have to imagine it…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just weighed mine out of interest thinking its probably under 30lbs but its actually around 31lbs. Not too bad considering the build.

Northwind

chakaping – Member

northwind – what’s your spec? my c456 was 26lbs dead with similar bits but no dropper post.

Just light-but-strong throughout… Rev Teams, Roval Traversee wheels, XTR cranks, easton bars, MG1-ti pedals, renthal kevlar grips, X9 drivetrain, charge knife saddle, oro brakes with R1 rotors, and a sprinkling of titanium bolts. Oh and a foldy Nevegal and Nobby Nic run tubeless.

Right now it’s lighter though as my Revelations blew up again 🙁 So now it’s an overweight rigid.

edoverheels
    Free Member

mboy and vortexracing. Thanks, will probably have to take the plunge. just didn’t want to spend £100 and find it was no good. Cheers.

Vortexracing

use a CRC voucher and buy it through Topcashback, that should save about £13

mrblobby
    Free Member

Use an LG1+ on my 1×10 mmmbop. Sometimes wonder if it’s overkill but It works a treat and i never have any problems with the chain.

maxray
    Free Member

My kinesis maxlite xc120 comes in around 27lb with coil revs, lx groupset and 317 rims. Would be easy to make it light, the frames only 1500g

br
    Free Member

I guess around 25lbs, but I’ve not got round to weighing it.

🙄

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘lightweight long travel hardtails. wots yours ?’ is closed to new replies.