Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Lightweight Down Jacket
  • wrecker
    Free Member

See my post, I love/d mine.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Cheers ‘wrecker’, I’ve ordered her the Patagonia so we’ll see how she gets on. Thanks to all for the input.

footflaps

Patagonia stuff is normally excellent quality.

BadlyWiredDog

Any idea where the new Primaloft Thermoplume sits compared to the Silver/Gold insulation? The press bumph is saying the best ever etc etc etc but appears to sit in the Black range which is below Silver/Gold.

You can’t look at the insulation value of the filling itself in isolation. Lots depends on construction as well – the downside of lightweight down is that mostly the construction is stitch through seams, so every line of stitches you can see reduces insulation, because there’s no fill trapped there, and decreases windproofing because stitch holes let wind through.

It’s why microbaffled down jackets are less warm than ones using fewer down compartments of a similar spec and explains why stuff like the MHW Ghost Whisperer and the Rab Micro aren’t particularly warm. And then there’s the fabric, lighter fabrics allow more loft and more warmth. And down density, if it compresses too easily it loses effectiveness etc.

Anyway, all of which is a round-about way of getting to the point that conventional synthetic fills score some plus points by not needing to use down-type baffled compartments, whereas down-like stuff like Thermoplume acts like down and needs more stitching.

TNF Thermoball is particularly bad because as per the name, the balls of insulation roll around, so it needs loads of quilted stitching to hold it in place, so while the fill may be equivalent to reasonable down, the actual garment has so many stitches, that efficiency is significantly reduced. Oh, and the Patagonia Nanopuff kit is effectively ‘inside out’ for fashion reasons – the brick quilting on the outside actually loses heat…

None of which matters much if you just want a warm-ish jacket, but is a bit more significant if you’re on a quest to find something that’ll work really well relative to its weight and bulk for mountain use. Sorry, blah, I’ll shut up now.

footflaps

so every line of stitches you can see reduces insulation, because there’s no fill trapped there, and decreases windproofing because stitch holes let wind through.

Patagonia’s top end down uses welded seams, so the outer isn’t perforated at all.

noltae
    Free Member

The Crux Halo jacket is really nice – Also the Rab Zero G – Lots of primaloft talk – if synthetic is what your after look for Climashield Apex .

wrecker
    Free Member

I think my down sweater is stitched. Maybe it’s not regarded as top end. As a lightweight jacket, it does get little nicks from normal use and the cut is very “athletic”. So comfy and wearable for half the year for a hot blood like me. Never been cold in it, it’s warmer than the tan I replaced it with.

ElShalimo

The Crux Pyro is on reduced at Outside, Hathersage for £125
    Bargain half price jacket.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve fancied a big down (or even synthetic) jacket for years, but I can never come up with a legitimate use case for them that justifies the expense. The best “standing/sitting around” coat I’ve ever owned is an inexpensive wool-mix jobbie with a big jumper underneath. Remarkably good in the rain too, and drys quickly. I’ve got a cheap hoodie on right now with loads of toasty, fleecy insulation. Neither are good if I want to pack them away in a rucksack, but that’s not a need for a “standing around” jacket.

The best jacket I’ve ever had for more active pursuits is Paramo, adding/removing layers underneath as required.

I still want a down jacket, but can’t remember the last time I needed a big and warm jacket that needed to pack up small. Maybe when my mountaineering career begins, I might need one 😉

footflaps

I’ve fancied a big down (or even synthetic) jacket for years, but I can never come up with a legitimate use case for them that justifies the expense.

We do a fair bit of hill walking, so being able to pack up a warm layer into a small space is a key requirement. I also wear them cycling to work in winter…

I think my down sweater is stitched. Maybe it’s not regarded as top end.

It’s only their High Altitude range at the moment (I think).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

We do a fair bit of hill walking, so being able to pack up a warm layer into a small space is a key requirement.

All my hill walking is with our young kids, and over quite short distances. My rucksack is already full of their coats! Maybe when they’re older and we’re venturing a bit further, I might “need” a down jacket. Unfortunately so might the 3 kids! 😆

Cougar

Via a mate on Facebook:

Winter, as they say, is coming. Some of you might be looking for a nice warm coat, perhaps one of the down puffy jackets. If you’re looking at things like Patagonia, you’re in for around £200 or so. However, you can get nice ones at Uniqlo for around £60.
    However, if you buy direct from Aliexpress, you can get the same jacket as the Uniqlo one (it even has a copy of the labels using different letters) for £23, shipped. It takes 2-3 weeks to arrive and the sizing is in asian sizes so read the reviews where people list their body stats and which size fits them.
    I took a punt on one as I was looking for a light, warm jacket for outdoor use. I’m 5’10, 75kg and 38″ chest. The large fits me nicely, whereas I’m usually a medium, and is very good quality.
    The also do cheaper ones without hoods or a gilet version for even less, along with women’s specific versions too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HOT-2016-Winter-men-90-White-Duck-Down-Jacket-men-s-Hooded-Ultra-Light-Down-Jackets/808761_32610369668.html

Cougar

Also, same friend goes on to say:

The issue with down jackets is traceability and ethics of sourcing the down. Patagonia lead the way on this. I’m guessing that Uniqlo are good too and that these, being apparently the same jackets and probably made in the same factory by the same people, are just as good. Not all cheap jackets are, if that makes a difference to people. Shop according to your ethics.

CountZero

Useful link that, Cougar, I’ve got a couple of Uniqlo jackets, a hooded one and one without, and a gilet, and that price is outstanding!

mechanicaldope

probably made in the same factory by the same people

Being made in the same factory means nothing. The same factory and same people makes foods for high and low end supermarkets. For one set of meals they use actual quality cheese. For the other they use ez-cheeze. Manufacturer to spec. Factory means nothing.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m guessing that Uniqlo are good too and that these, being apparently the same jackets

A quick cursory comparison with my down sweater and the uniqlo ultra light confirms that they are not the same jacket, quite a few differences.

dougieb
    Free Member

I’ve got a Patagonia hooded down jacket and absolutely love it.

CountZero

This popped up on my Flipboard feed today, I thought it might help some looking for a new jacket. Jöttnar get a good review for their new Expedition jacket, but there are some very interesting items listed.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Thanks to all the helpful comments, Mrs Strawb is very happy with her new Patagonia Hooded Down Sweater/Jacket, really warm apparently, so I’m happily in the good books. Cheers

Flaperon

I’m guessing that Uniqlo are good too

Uniqlo won’t provide any information regarding their down sourcing, and since the jackets are made in China I suspect it’s not ethically sourced.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight Down Jacket’ is closed to new replies.