Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • lightweight compact warm sleeping bag but on the cheap side any recommendations
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

At the mo me and the boys are using ex army sleeping bags for camping which are great and ever so warm but they are bulky, her indoors has a nice lightweight warm fancy one.

I don’t want to spend loads so this may not be possible…

Any recommendations ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

How warm do you need it to be?

TheBrick
    Free Member

How light weight and how cheap too. Snugpac are not a bad compromise. Synthetic too so good if your kids are likely to spillstuffon them?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

warm enough so no one moans they’re cold !

timidwheeler

What’s your budget? Alpkit have always been good value.

Alpkit thingy

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

£40- £50 so it may not be possible, happy to buy 2nd hand

superfli
    Free Member

I got one of these fairly recently and used it a few times. Very comfy and warm:
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-latitude-200-sleeping-bag-p323328
    £40

towzer

I have an effectively brand new stormlite rolling clouds 1000 down

will email tonight (at work)

mactheknife

I just bought a snugpak one, cannot remember which one and its in the van at the moment, sorry.

Its synthetic which initially put me off but after a few uses i am very impressed with it. Packs away pretty small and was great in the cold.

£70 plus postage.

ampthill

I bought a couple of Vango ultralight 600 for the teenagers. They seem fab. I’b be wary of going much less warm than that. So if the budget won’t stretch I’d go heavier not less insulation

Looks like they are just under £60 each

noltae
    Free Member

Your cheapest decent option would be to look for a roomy 1 season synthetic bag that will accommodate lots of clothing worn inside the bag – ultralight synthetic bags can be found easily within your budget ..

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

What are you using to lie on? There’s more heat lost to the ground below than the air above 😉

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

still s8tannorm – Member

What are you using to lie on? There’s more heat lost to the ground below than the air above

thermarests

Jerome
    Free Member

I got a cheap down bag from blacks last year – c. £70 so nearly in your budget. Anything but down seems a waste.
    Oh and make sure it has a baffle over the zip – as that is a cool spot on the one I just bought..

Kunstler

I bought this Vango Laitutude 200 last week (when there was an extra 15% off). It’s a compromise but not one on comfort. I’ve managed to compress it to about the size of a football (and will get a different shaped compression sack so it fits my drybag with other contents better.

It’s a massive leap in price to a down bag that I can use at the same temperatures and this bag will suit all sorts of trips and times of the year.

mugsys_m8

Decathlon. And buy sized to fit. Not sure of your boys age, but if they are young, they won’t fill an adult size bag and heat will be lost. Alternatively you can always tie a belt round the dead space…but not most logical course of action if you plan to carry them.

Kunstler

Yep, that Vango has a baffle. I’ve not slept out in it yet but it seems a really good fit and the baffle and hood adjustments work well.

Sundayjumper

Dumb question – do sleeping bags come in different lengths nowadays ? As a yoof I had a nice lightweight down bag but it wasn’t quite long enough so I could never use the hood.

irc

Dumb question – do sleeping bags come in different lengths nowadays ?

Many, not all, decent quality bags come in 3 sizes. Ladies, standard, and long. The long is usually slightly wider. Standard usually fit up to about 6ft. Then there is the likes of PHD Designs where for a price you get a choice of several lengths and widths.

badllama
    Free Member
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘lightweight compact warm sleeping bag but on the cheap side any recommendations’ is closed to new replies.