Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lightweight chains too light? Do you break yours?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve long used KMC chains, managed to get a great price on a couple of KMC 10 SL, the very high end 10sp ones they do. The first one ended up snapping 4 times, I’m a frequent user of a chain checker so I didnt leave it on the bike for a very long time. The new one has been on a couple of weeks, I had a spill last weekend on a night ride, dropped the chain, got it back on but it was clicking away, before long, snap.

How do you guys get on with them in terms of wear and tear? They dont weigh much but I’m starting to think its a false economy.

njee20
    Free Member

No. Did break a couple of X9SLs, but then I’ve broken every chain I’ve tried! Latterly a Dura Ace one on the road bike.

Never broken an X10SL though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its always a pay off between weight and usability IME

My SL has been fine at 9 speed though-£40 ish from Merlin

A poorly made batch hence much cheapness??

mcboo
    Free Member

Came from two different sources, Merlin and a guy in the Far East I’ve regularly bought kit from. Maybe will give it another shot but it broke on a race last week and spoiled my night, maybe not the part of the bike you want to try and save too much weight.

Oh and I got the gold one for extra tartage points so I probably deserve the bad luck.

carlosg
    Free Member

The Sram 991 chain on my P7 has 9 powerlinks in it , I have far less hassle with the 950’s on my other bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

My SL has been fine at 9 speed though-£40 ish from Merlin

Buy from Taiwan via eBay – <£25.

mcboo
    Free Member

Buy from Taiwan via eBay – <£25.

Cyclistbike on eBay is the shop I’ve used, very good, in Taiwan.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would rather support my LBS.

It really is FWIW

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I use KMC SLs of one form or another for years on most of my bikes and never had a problem *touches wood*

Northwind

I had some trouble with my X9SLs… Never broke one while just riding, but I often bent them through chainsuck- the sideplates were easy to twist. One soggy lap at 10UTB left one pointing every direction but straight and gave me a lot of trouble. Easy to straighten out again, mind!

So I stopped using them but they were definately fit for purpose, they just struggled more at the limits.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Always buy the best KMC from eBay Taiwan, never ever a problem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight chains too light? Do you break yours?’ is closed to new replies.