Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Lightweight carbon full sus? is sub 24lb possable?
  • njee20
    Free Member

Well… it’s 1kg over a fairly light hardtail frame, it’s 1.2kg over a very light hardtail frame… That half a pound costs a lot to save elsewhere! And 1kg = 2.2 pounds, 1.2kg = 2.64lbs, so suddenly you’ve added 2/3 of a pound over your “it’s about 2lbs heavier than a hardtail”.

Makes a difference if you’re chasing a light build.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Nope. Have 2 on 2 bikes and they’ve been great.

They are good and I love the comfort/flex.
    On the HT, which has the most use on it, the holes cut through the carbon post have ovalised and creak.

I’m happy with the strength, but maybe that sections needs an aluminium insert.

jimification
    Free Member

Njee: That’s relevant if you just want a light bike for posting on forums but not much good if what you want is some rear bounce 😀

My point is a 22lb hardtail is quite easy to build so, with a 2-3lb weight gain for an FS frame, a 25lb FS shouldn’t be any harder (albeit a bit more expensive).

njee20
    Free Member

Njee: That’s relevant if you just want a light bike for posting on forums but not much good if what you want is some rear bounce

Firstly I use my bike plenty thanks! Secondly, you’re missing my point. Nothing wrong with having bouncy bits, you said:

carbon frames with shock seem to come in at around 2100g – that’s only 1KG / 2lb over a very light HT frame

All I said was that you’re not “only” giving away 2lbs over a “very light HT”, it’s actually 2.64lbs. It wasn’t a specific comment on the type of bike, just a bit of an observation about the devil being in the detail if you want a light build.

jimification
    Free Member

Njee: Looking back to the title of the thread, I’m reminded that the OP is looking for a lightweight FS rather than a display of bike shop pendantry. 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Well the answer to the OP’s question is, of course, “yes”.

Anything after that is wholly pointless.

campfreddie
    Free Member

my 650b cannondale scalpel carbon is pretty much bang on 20lbs with pedals (and it’s also for sale… lol)

my brand new Radon Slide 160mm 650b carbon trail monster is supposed to be circa 27lbs out of the box, but with a bit of tweaking, I reckon I could (and will) take another 2lbs out of that which brings me down to 25lbs complete with pikes, reverb and bombproof dt swiss ex1501 spline wheels

I seem to remember that the Titus FTM Carbon I build up around Christmas time came in at around 24lbs all up (inc pedals). Those frames are crazy light. The bike was set up with Fox Talas 140 forks, 1×10, reverb, and Stans Arch EX / hope wheels.

crispycross
    Free Member

Large Stumpy Epic Marathon, only changes to stock are going tubeless, 1×10 XT gears and a Thomson elite layback post, 24 lbs on the nose with 2 cages and XT pedals.

adsh
    Free Member

NJee – I take your point but at 72kg I need the stiffer rim to go lighter on spokes if the wheel isn’t to get too flexy.

Rik
    Free Member

I seem to remember that the Titus FTM Carbon I build up around Christmas time came in at around 24lbs all up (inc pedals). Those frames are crazy light. The bike was set up with Fox Talas 140 forks, 1×10, reverb, and Stans Arch EX / hope wheels.

Haha!! As if, stw scales of make believe at it again. Prob between 18-270 times today, these scales are popular. Where can I buy them.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

^^^^ as above,

even the scalpel, one-up, xt, ali rail saddle, x9 crank arms, ali lefty with ali steerer?

the above has said, the devil, really is in the detail

i had this a while back,

paint was stripped off and clear lacquered – saved weight
    MCFK Post and Lefty Steerer
    Fred – Cheating

cannot remember if it was sub 18 or sub 19, was silly light though could have shaved loads off it without Di2, flat pedals, EDGE/ENVE rims, Bar and Stem

njee20
    Free Member

Pedals aside, that’s a great looking bike.

campfreddie
    Free Member

Yup. 20lbs for the scalpel… X9 cranks but with Wolftooth direct mount chainring. Very light wheels. Schwalbe thunder Burts running tubeless, egg eaters, use carbon bits, ultralight brake discs, esi grips etc etc

doof_doof
    Free Member

There are plenty of ~23lb and less Czars on MTBR

TheFlyingOx

I’ve got one of these:

22 lbs

It’s for sale too, for the right price.

curvature
    Free Member

Why do people always dispute others claims. Oh it’s a web forum…. 😀

Anyway actual weight of my Ripley was 25.8lbs.

It is now over 26lb because of the Reverb. The simple fact is if you start with a really light frame and wheels you can start to built a light bike. The frame and rear shock on a Ripley weight 5.2lb which by any standard is pretty light and the forks are under 4lb.

I don’t expect mine to go down much in weight but my next upgrades are to bring the rest of the components in line with the quality of the frame, forks and wheels etc.

Thank you Timb34 for the sensible comment.

br
    Free Member

No, there isn’t, that’s a red herring, sorry Bruce! You’re perhaps giving away half a pound between an XL and a medium, but that can come out in the wash in variations on other parts

But Nick as you point out, the devil is in the detail and if there is 1/2lb extra due to sizing, then that is another 1/2lb.

And not all us folk that need large frames are porkers 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

And is all non rotating weight equal. Leaving aside old chestnuts such as no fluid/taking a dump I could starve a kilo off (and it would be starve) – does that have the same effect on climbing as 1kg of non wheel weight on the bike?

njee20
    Free Member

But Nick as you point out, the devil is in the detail and if there is 1/2lb extra due to sizing, then that is another 1/2lb.

I said “perhaps”, because it can vary, and may in fact be virtually nothing, or indeed nothing! I also didn’t say that everyone who rides an XL bike is a porker, merely that you’re heavier than someone of an identical build who’s shorter – I chose my words carefully 😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Given that the new Yeti ASRc is under 24lbs out the box it’s definitely do-able.

As built, our ASRc test bike weighs in at 10.23kg (22.56lb). Yeti’s published weight for this complete bike is 10.47kg (23.1lb) maybe we didn’t have enough sealant in our tires, or maybe the company is being conservative with its estimates, in either case, it’s an light bike without the need to resort to exotic (read exorbitantly expensive) component upgrades.

I think Njee has it right though. The devil really is in the detail. Not everything weights (or gives the savings) what you think it might, and expensive isn’t always lighter. A lot of research and careful component selection is what’s needed.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Easily done I agree.i built an xl tallboy to 22.8pounds on training wheels.

Never weighed it with tubs on but would assume another pound off that. Nothing delicate about the build other than 100g saddle and syntace finishing kit. Group set was xx1.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have a Trek Superfly 100 sl elite.

Its sub 25lbs with a Stealth dropper.

its for sale if interested?

Could be made lighter by going 1×10/11,as its running 2×10 at the moment.
    Fitting a standard seatpost and 1×11 should see 23.5-24 lbs easily and thats for a large frame

drbob65
    Free Member

My Turner Czar is exactly 22lbs, with an XTR double groupset and fox forks, sub 23lb would be easy without spending silly money

Tony.w
    Free Member

Wow just tucked back into this thread (lucky me sat by the pool on hols in Majorca) it’s all interesting reading and looking at them Scalpel pics has now got me looking into Cannondales more so as I had one 10 years ago and was very impressed with the finish, gonna take a look at their Scalpels

njee20
    Free Member

And a great contribution to resurrect it 😉

Tony.w
    Free Member

Oops sorry

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight carbon full sus? is sub 24lb possable?’ is closed to new replies.