Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lightweight 29er wheel set – what's a good build?
  • large418
    Free Member

Looking to build a race spec 29er. Have ordered a Planet X Dirty Harry frame and thinking about wheels. Given that I have 26 inch wheels weighing in at 1400g (roval control SLs) that build my Stumpjumper into a 9kg hard tail, I want to end up with a 9kg 29er (or close to without spending loads). What would be a good. 1500-1600g wheel set?

Have considered Stan’s Crest rims, pro3 hubs and not sure about spokes with quick release – any ideas what sort of weight that would build into or is there a better spec for around the £300 mark?

Cheers

carbonfiend
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

You’ll get a great build from JRA, but not where I’d go if i were on a budget. Superstar or Pro2s on Crests are the best you’ll do for the budget new.

bol

If you’re not in a massive hurry, keep a lookout for some 26″ wheels with DT240 hubs in the classifieds and get them built onto Crests. Otherwise Superstar are a good bet as mentioned above.

large418
    Free Member

Some good ideas cheers. Was going to steer clear of dt hubs as the bearings in the rear hubs are a right pain to replace (or they are on my Rovals). Looks like jra or superstar are the way to go

njee20
    Free Member

Or up the budget a bit and get some from LightBicycle or similar – $540. Not actually that light though.

If weight is the priority check out Ryde MC1 rims. Very light. A pair build on A2Z hubs with Revolutions would probably be the lightest you’d get in budget I reckon.

Won’t be hugely stiff though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight 29er wheel set – what's a good build?’ is closed to new replies.