Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lightweight 26″ tyres
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

After several years of living in London where I was mostly riding road bikes I’m not back in Edinburgh on the edge of the Pentland Hills and the mountain bikes are getting used again.

All my mountain bikes are ancient and on 26″ wheels and my very favourite of those, a 2003 Specialized Epic, is currently shod with 2.1″ Continental Speed King Supersonics which I like and suit the bike well. They’re also very light at around 400g but sadly long discontinued. I’m pretty sure I’ve a spare set somewhere in the garage but failing that what’s the best option for a lightweight 26″ tyre these days? Ideally one that’s actually available to buy somewhere as well!

Cheers
    Steve

joshvegas
    Free Member

I found beavers pretty good for the pentlands sogginess.

But they aint 400grams!

scotroutes

Some of the Michelin range come in pretty light – possibly even 400g.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m not looking for wet/boggy condition tyres as I have other bikes with more appropriate tyres on for that! Just want something that’s reasonable in normal conditions (the Speed Kings were never the grippyest anyway) but still feel light and fast.

copa
    Free Member

I really like the Vittoria Barzo that Planet X sell for cheap.
    Light but not the lightest.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m not looking for wet/boggy condition tyres

Then

Just want something that’s reasonable in normal conditions

Lol.

hols2
    Free Member

Rocket Ron

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

No idea how much they weigh, but the 26×2.35″ Super Motos hanging in the garage are very light compared to similar sized Land Cruisers; Crazy Bobs; Big Apples (which all weigh ~900g+ iirc).

epicsteve
    Free Member

Those 26 x 2.35 Super Moto’s look like they’re meant for the road and they also weigh 690gr each, so I don’t think they’ll be an option.

Rocket Ron’s in 26 x 2.1 look like they’re 480gr and probably the best available option, so I’ll see if I can find somewhere that actually has them in stock, cheers.

First though I will have a good look in my disaster of a garage and see if I can find the backup set of Speed Kings I’m sure I bought a few years back!

copa
    Free Member

Rocket Ron’s in 26 x 2.1 look like they’re 480gr and probably the best available option

I stopped using them because it’s like they’re made of papyrus.
    Might as well just use an inner tube.

kiwijohn

I’m looking at Schwalbe Billy Bonkers for my old HT. 450g each.

qwerty
    Free Member

Specialized Fast Track, Hutchinson Pythons – if they’re still around.

hols2
    Free Member

I don’t think you’re going to get any sub 500 gram tyre that isn’t flimsy.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve managed to track down a pair of those Specialized Fast Trak in 26 x 2.1, which are 530g. I might end up using them on one of the other bikes but I like Specialized MTB tyres (that’s what’s on most of my other bikes (Purgatory and Ground Control I think).

Even when these lightweight 26″ tyres exist in theory it’s quite tricky finding folks with stock.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Speed King Supersonics have last quite a while on my Epic and haven’t been particularly puncture prone – probably helped by us not having much in the way of thorns etc. round here. You have to run them at a fairly high pressure (50psi is what I use) but like that they’re not prone to pinch flats either.

copa
    Free Member

The Speed King Supersonics have last quite a while on my Epic and haven’t been particularly puncture prone

Aye, they were great. Had some that lasted ages.
    Last time I looked, they were all ‘out of stock’.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Aye, they were great. Had some that lasted ages.
    Last time I looked, they were all ‘out of stock’.

I’ve had a pretty good look around and couldn’t find NOS anywhere, not even via Ebay. Shame really as they’re perfect for my Epic.

minley1
    Free Member

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-thunder-burt-evo-pacestar-26×2.10-liteskin-folding-435831

I have one of these still BNIB in the garage, £20 + postage if you want it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but the good news is that a search of my garage has turned up the pair of Speed King Supersonics I was pretty sure I’d bought as a backup. That means my Epic can stick with those for a while yet.

The pair of Specialized Fast Trak’s will probably go on my Soul as I’m planning to put that back to a lighter build anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

minley1
    Free Member

No problem, glad you found them, I will stick the tyre in the classifieds

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight 26″ tyres’ is closed to new replies.