Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lightweight 1×11 build advice (On-One Lurcher)
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Hi All, need some advice on a bike build. Am building up a Carbon On-One Lurcher 29er with the matching rigid carbon monocoque forks. Aiming for as lightweight a build as possible (with just half an eye on overall budget). I like the idea of a 1×11 speed set up, but haven’t really been keeping up with 11 speed details. I have a pair of nice Easton XC wheels doing nothing that I would like to use. These currently have a 10 speed cassette. Obviously I will need to change to an 11 speed cassette, but do these use the same hub spacing, or am I going to need a new hub/wheelset? Do Shimano and SRAM use the same spacing?

I like the look of the new single ring XTR cranks + chainrings/cassette etc (and am just about willing to spend the slightly eye watering amount of cash), but what alternatives are there? Most of the other 11 speeds stuff I’ve seen so far looks similarly expensive. BB is pressfit92 btw. Is the Shimano BB good, or worth going to Hope?
    Be interested to know what other people are using, for any parts of their Lurcher (or similar) build. Thanks!

gamerriley
    Free Member

To use SRAM’s 11 speed cassette you’ll need the XD driver hub for your wheels. I think Easton do one, but you have to do a bit of searching online.This replaces your old hub so you can have 11 gears 10-42. You’ll then need the 11speed shifter and rear derailleur too. It does get quite expensive, so a cheaper alternative is to have a 1×10 set up which there are many to be found. You’ll still use your original hub, derailleur and shirter, and just change to a single front ring from Race Face or Hope for example. At the back you can use a set up like one up components sell. search for them online and you’ll see. 🙂

angeldust
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks. Can someone recommend a 10 speed single crankset compatible with the pressfit 92 BB. Lightweight if possible. Thanks.

njee20
    Free Member

Race Face Next SL.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Shimano XTR 9000 uses the same freehub, so you wouldn’t need to switch to an XD-driver.
    You can get almost any crank to work with BB92. You just need to get the correct BB.

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst Matt’s correct it’s worth noting that M9000 is heavier than XX1 and has a narrower range. If you’re trying to avoid going mental cost wise then you could go 1×10 with a range expander. You’ll get the same range as M9000 for a massively reduced cost. You’ll save more weight spending elsewhere.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep if I wanted 11 speed with the range of 10sp with a 40t expander cog for XTR prices I’d be right there with XTR 🙂

The all in deals on XX1/XO1 seem to be better than the components. XX Carbon Crank, XO Alloy Crank. Mixing it up XO1 with race face next SL would be a very nice combo.

If not something like the Next SL with a 10sp + 40t expander and a choice of 10sp drive train to suit preference.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight 1×11 build advice (On-One Lurcher)’ is closed to new replies.