Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lightwave tents – anyone got one?
  • DrJ

Following on from the thread about sub 2kg one man tents for use in nasty conditions, I was just on holiday in the Alps and saw someone with a simple but sturdy looking tunnel tent. When they were packing up I noticed it was a Lightwave. Now I am kicking myself for not taking a closer look and asking about it. Looking on their website they are not cheap but not the most expensive either.

So – anyone got one care to comment. Or in true STW fashion tell me I don’t want that, I want something totally different? 🙂

Sandwich

I have one of their 2/3 man tents with the huge porch flysheet. It has lasted reasonably well, using a footprint will extend the effective life of the groundsheet. It was sold to me as similar to a Hilleberg but without the cost, so far it has lived up to that billing.

DrJ

Sarnie – exactly – if I could afford a Hilleberg I’d buy one 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

For lightweight look at Tarptents in the states.

Easily sub 2kg for 2/3 man tent.

matt_outandabout

A couple of colleagues have them.

Well made, well designed, tend to be more on the tough side than light. Certainly better made than any of the last few WildCountry/TerraNova’s that others bought IMO.

I don’t get the Hilleberg silly money thing either. I have used three, the last one (two man tunnel) was so sloped I got wet feet, the Akto while good was not £300 better than alternatives….

DrJ

Do you get the impression sometimes that tent manufacturers have never tried putting up their tents? I have a Helsport sort of Hilleberg knock-off and I swear that as supplied it can’t be pitched without the inner and fly sheet touching.

skink2020

I have a lightwave T10. It’s at least 10 years old and is still in excellent condition despite being used for weeks at a time.
    It weights 1.12kg without the bag and with some fancy pegs. Very easy to put up. Point the low end into the wind and it’s fairly quiet.
    I toy with buying a Terra Nova laser occasionally but the lightwave is still in such good nick.

matt_outandabout

Yes – I like Vaude kit and tents, but clearly they have not had a couple of them out in wet and wind. Terra Nova Lasers (and similar) seem all about a few grammes less, not actually keeping you dry or for anyone over 5’8″….

I think there is a lot of snobbery about tents, and chasing of a few grammes saving rather than reliable, functional shelter.

Cowman

Lightwave is Crux’s walking/trekking brand. As apposed to its super expensive high end climbing kit.

Its great kit, well made and will last years. I’ve got a couple as well as an old crux tent. All great, uses for long periods of time all over Europe and the states.

noltae
    Free Member

As already mentioned Lightwave is Crux’s sister brand – not really cheaper just more directed at hill walking as opposed to climbing – I’d say all their products are 1st class – and you should be confident that after sales service will reflect that – I’m currently eyeing up one of their cuben fibre tarps.

slowoldman

I have an old Lightwave Ion (current model is a G20 I think). It has never had a great deal of use, but I would say it’s pretty bombproof. Quite cosy though.

ahsat

We have a t30 which we picked up as a bargain last stock item at Go Outdoors. That particular model is too bulky for bike packing, but very impressed with it. Easy to pitch and been used in a range of weathers no problem. Added a couple of extra guys to help with ventilation, but that was easy as there was tying points built in and overall really good. Can see it lasting a while.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve got a t2 Trek, and on the whole I’m pretty happy with it. From a quality point of view I’m happy, strikes a reasonable balance between weight and robustness and it’s fairly roomy.
    First couple of uses I was unimpressed though: compared to the Macpac it replaced there seemed to be loads of condensation and it was very saggy in the morning. Both of these problems seem to have gone though, so maybe just the wrong set of conditions to begin with?

matt_outandabout

very saggy in the morning

I think this is more (older, heavier) nylon on macpac vs (ligher) silnylon. Many, many new tents seem to sag terribly with silnylon.

loads of condensation

Again, I think the majority of tents for sale we see have poor venting.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Again, I think the majority of tents for sale we see have poor venting.

The T2 trek has quite a few vents, but the fly comes pretty much down to the ground which really doesn’t help.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I told ya!

Lightwave are ace. Spent 9 months in and out of a G2 Trek XT. Not let me down yet.

JackHammer

just inherited a JetPacker from my parents. It’s been in a bag for years so I have no idea if it’s still waterproof or anything.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lightwave tents – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.