Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Lights too bright
  • MadPierre

So you can’t fit a commuter light on to your bars for riding to and from the trails? What other simple and easily accomplished tasks do you struggle with?

It’s not a case of riding to and from trails – my ride was (is) bit of trail/bit of road/bit of trail repeat lots. And what I don’t want to do is mess about switching between different lights, moving them about etc etc. to keep other road users (and all you “know it alls”) happy. Not too much to ask of a modern light manufacturer is it?

Anyway. Sod it – I’m off to put my lights on charge so I can be a tit, struggle with easy tasks and dazzle unsuspecting road users again tomorrow night.

mrmo
    Free Member

@mad pierre,

Being serious for a moment, If you get a police man on a bad day. be aware that your lights are not legal, full stop. i suspect you have no reflectors, again illegal. Basically all lights have to be BS approved or European equivalent. There are VERY few lights that are legal.

Worst case having over-bright lights does risk getting pulled and then arrested/fined.

Granted very unlikely, but just so you aware, and not knowing is not a defence. Like most things, being sensible reduces the risk.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Take a B&M lumotec for instance rip out the electronics that make it Dynamo friendly and replace with battery friendly electronics then link to a battery.

Why not just use a dynamo hub?

I use an Exposure Revo on my road bike. Getting another dynamo hub soon (15mm bolt-thru SP) so I can run it off-road too. biggest gripe with it is its insanely bright above 15mph. It’d be nice if it could be turned down for fast riding in built-up areas. Even better if Exposure would make a version with a proper road-lens.

mrmo
    Free Member

Why not just use a dynamo hub?

It is on the list of things to do, but money basically, a light and a bodged battery is cheaper than a light and a dynamo wheel.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s not a case of riding to and from trails – my ride was (is) bit of trail/bit of road/bit of trail repeat lots.

Then leave your commuter light on permanently, and just turn your main light on and off as needed.

I don’t know why you’re making this out as difficult.

Anyway. Sod it – I’m off to put my lights on charge so I can be a tit, struggle with easy tasks and dazzle unsuspecting road users again tomorrow night.

Well, it was pretty clear from your OP that consideration for others isn’t important to you.

pdw
    Free Member

Thinking about this, i guess the solution is to canabalise german legal lights.

That’s what I did – gutted the electronics from a SafeRide 80 and made it work with my existing LiIon battery pack (plus bumped up the current a bit).

GrahamS

Ironically enough after today’s thread I just had some fellow cyclists ask me to turn my light down, despite it being on Dim and pointed at my front wheel. So I guess I haven’t got it quite perfect yet! 😳

Candodavid
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

I have poor night vision. 2000 lumen has transformed my night riding into day riding; not going back to mincing by candlelight.

Full output is only used on descents

That’s right, you mince by 2000 Lumens now instead

mrmo
    Free Member

new b and m lights

been faffing around thinking about getting some, it seems there are some new more powerful lights.

GrahamS

*follows mrmo’s link*

*finds thread discussing bum output and spread*

*reports mrmo*

😉

mrmo
    Free Member

*follows mrmo’s link*

*finds thread discussing bum output and spread*

*reports mrmo*

🙂

only the germans…

then again

…..

bellefied
    Free Member

Has anyone used those beam benders on car headlights when travelling to France? Do they actually work and deflect the light in one direction? If so, do you think it’s worth cutting one in half and covering the top half of the lamps to deflect that part of the beam down? So lots of low long coverage and less sky and eyes of drivers of oncoming traffic?

neninja
    Free Member

That’s right, you mince by 2000 Lumens now instead

I know 3 local riders with vision problems for whom the increase in output from lights has transformed their ability to ride at night.

Previously they struggled to discern trail details but now can ride with confidence. One of these guys can only see from one eye (the other eye can only give blurry outlines in daytime) and the other has MS which has seriously impaired his vision from both eyes.

For them bright lights are the difference between staying at home or getting out on the trails. This is off road rather than on road though.

MadPierre

ransos – Member

It’s not a case of riding to and from trails – my ride was (is) bit of trail/bit of road/bit of trail repeat lots.

Then leave your commuter light on permanently, and just turn your main light on and off as needed.

I don’t know why you’re making this out as difficult.

Well, it was pretty clear from your OP that consideration for others isn’t important to you.

Posted 20 hours ago # Report-Post

FFS! 🙄 I give up!

ransos
    Free Member

FFS! I give up!

Did you remember to charge up your lights? There are other road users out there waiting to be blinded.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Lights too bright’ is closed to new replies.