• This topic has 72 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Lights that actually light up tarmac?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Iqx as pp says has a long stretched beam letting me see further. You have to get the aim right or its just intense right in front of you. It cuts off sharp at each side

The luxos is a much shorter but wider flared beam not cut as sharp as the ixq

It feels brighter than my revo to be fair.

DezB
    Free Member

duh, for some reason read this as “rear” light.
    Just bought one of the ones recommended in Torchy’s test (someone linked to it on here a week or so ago) the Xeccons. (Tredz sell em) – I just went for the 300LM one as I mostly use a Hope Vision 2 (Trout modified), but wanted a backup.
    It is very good – the low beam is ok for lit roads but high shines up the road pretty well for a 300lm light.

rOcKeTdOg

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Magicshine Eagle M2 – lots of light and not expensive at £88.

redmex
    Free Member

Cateye volt 1200 for me too , I have a 1600 volt as well yet canny see any difference, may just be my dodgy eyesight or someone in Japan slipped a 1200 into a 1600 body
    Great lights and so light no pun intended

Bez

The Volt brackets are bobbins, though. After not much use one of mine no longer holds the light securely (it seems to be the bit attached to the light that’s the problem, and as far as I can see they’re not available as spares, rendering the thing pretty much useless). And the screw things don’t seem to always stay tight. Unimpressed.

simondbarnes

German lights are all well and good but they’re absolutely useless for seeing pedestrians on shared use paths.

The Volt brackets are bobbins, though. After not much use one of mine no longer holds the light securely (it seems to be the bit attached to the light that’s the problem, and as far as I can see they’re not available as spares, rendering the thing pretty much useless)

Never had an issue with the Volt brackets myself. Any Cateye dealer will be able to get you a replacement for the bit on the light. If you can’t get one give me a shout.

benp1

Yep, been very impressed with my volt bracket too

Simple and effective

philjunior
    Free Member

I manage (with the beam angled “just right”, which might be “slightly higher than recommended”) – it’s actually quite good because you don’t have to set the light to blind them, it mostly illuminates legs with only a bit of light going in the direction of faces. When I commuted with the MTB a week or two back, the broader beam was less good for this (B&M luxus on the commuter).

MoreCashThanDash

If you can’t see a pedestrian on a shared use path then you either have the angle wrong, or you are travelling too fast for the conditions, both of which may be due to over reliance on 1500 lumen floodlight style MTB lights.

jacob46
    Free Member

Strada vs Toro?

ransos
    Free Member

If you can’t see a pedestrian on a shared use path then you either have the angle wrong, or you are travelling too fast for the conditions, both of which may be due to over reliance on 1500 lumen floodlight style MTB lights.

The point is any decent commuting light is better for spotting pedestrians than a B&M. It’s the one flaw with them IMO.

simondbarnes

I have never owned a 1500 lumen (or anywhere close) mtb light.

MoreCashThanDash

And I’ve never missed a pedestrian with one. What a crazy world it is.

simondbarnes

What a crazy world it is.

It is indeed 🙂

Daffy

Strada vs Toro?

The Toro is definitely brighter and has more punch, BUT it’s dazzlingly bright to other road users.

I’ve got a Reflex (basically a Toro) and a Strada 1200. in most circumstances, the Strada is just perfect, BUT, if you’re doing 20+mph on completely unlit roads, you could sometimes use a little more. I carry an Equinox on the lid (with the remote on the bars) for just such a purpose.

ransos
    Free Member

And I’ve never missed a pedestrian with one. What a crazy world it is.

I’ve never hit a pedestrian with one. Am I doing it wrong?

tenfoot

Where are you guys buying your B+M lights? I’ve found a few places on t’web but don’t know them.
    Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

One came from rose bike the other came from a shop in Edinburgh.

rocket
    Free Member

Love my new Cateye volt 800. <£70 from wiggle. Used for night road riding (as opposed to my short urban commute), and not been flashed by cars on low or medium power, and not needed high power yet.

ianbradbury

Where are you guys buying your B+M lights? I’ve found a few places on t’web but don’t know them.
    Cheers

Another vote for Rose. Reasonable postage rates, brisk service, good communications.

ransos
    Free Member

Rose have been good when I’ve used them. I think my B&M light came from bike-discount.de

MoreCashThanDash

Rose bikes here. Came with a nice mug as it was my first order.

benp1

Mine was from somewhere in Germany. Can’t remember where, I have a feeling I bought a headtorch as well so it might have been somewhere like Bergfreunde

Bez

Being a proper fussy git I’ve got the angle right for road use, and I noticed recently (this winter being the first year I’ve ridden shared paths because I’m doing some of the school runs) that pedestrians in dark clothes just aren’t realistically visible until about 20ft away, which is maybe a second and a half at the speed of the 7 year old I was riding with. If you’re in a dip in the path the distance is shorter still.

I came to the conclusion that yes, we should slow down a bit, but safe shared path riding with a German beam does mean jogging pace at best. Which isn’t ideal.

(And FWIW the most powerful MTB light I’ve ever used is a 400 lumen Joystick.)

+1 for Rose. Starbike and Bike24 sometimes have some good deals, too.

tenfoot

Thanks. Reckon I’ll try Rose then

tenfoot

Just ordered an Ixon IQ premium light. Looking forward to trying it out.

sirromj

I fitted one of these to my 1000 lumen chinese LED, works great, £3:
    http://amzn.eu/6fPwOV6

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

This just popped up on my facebook, looks ideal for road use. 700 lumens with proper road beam shape. Anyone heard of it??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291965582578

benp1

Looks good that

houndlegs
    Free Member

Not that exact model, but its a Fluxient of torchy, so I can’t see you having anyproblems with it. I’ve had a different model from same guy for 2 years now and it’s been faultless. Also had something else from him that packed in after about 10 months, new one sent out with no quibble at all. Top fella to deal with.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

This just popped up on my facebook, looks ideal for road use. 700 lumens with proper road beam shape. Anyone heard of it??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291965582578

That looks a very interesting light especially if they have cracked that beam pattern. 700 lumens from a single XP-G3 is pushing the LED pretty hard though, probably near the max of 2A. If that is the case then a runtime of 2.5 hours from a 3000mAh battery according to my calcs, is very optimistic.

benp1

I doubt it’s pushing 700 lumens (based on my U2 mini indicated vs what-it-felt-like lumens)

Will have good customer service though

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Lights that actually light up tarmac?’ is closed to new replies.