Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lights question
  • pembo6
    Free Member

I got some cheap lights from eBay. Worked great on their first use. But I expect the batteries will let me down soon.

What’s the best way to look after the batteries? Fully discharge after use? Leave uncharged until next use? Or charge immediately and leave fully charged?
    Thanks. For any advice.

sandwicheater

Leave fully charged*

*or by that I mean leave in the boot of your car with half charge for a week almost every time.

nickjb
    Free Member

Anything other than letting them go flat and leaving them flat. Best stored at 50% charge but that isn’t practical so just charge as needed and don’t store them flat.

poisonspider
    Free Member

I thought it depended on the type of battery?

iirc, Li ion should be left 50% charged but some like Ni-Cd (and NiMH to a degree) should be run to flat and left fully charged as they develop a ‘memory’.

sandwicheater

Well don’t I feel silly. Was always told to leave fully charged but this was advice from 15+ years ago.

I’ll sit in the corner and think about what i’ve done.

z1ppy

Tbh I’m sure the latest advise I saw, suggested keeping li-ion full charged during storage

pembo6
    Free Member

To be honest, I have no idea what the battery is (other than cheap).
    Its a “Solar Storm CREE XM-L U2 LED” from Ebay. It doesn’t specify the battery type other than “18650” (I think).

I will probably charge it up and leave it charged. And top it up before next use. It will only be used once a month.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you can remove the battery take a look and if it has three connection it is probably a lithium ion. Gnd, +ve and temperature sense.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Leave them with just enough charge that they work at home and die 30minutes later in the darkest depths of the middle of nowhere.

Works for me.

stevied
    Free Member

From Smudge @ MTB Batteries:

That time of year when a few start putting their lights away till next Autumn.
    Here’s a few tips on getting the best out of your batteries during little or no use till next Autumn.
    Keep the battery at approx 50% charged, although the battery is not being used the protection circuit will still draw a few milliamps as it continues to monitor the state of the cells within the battery. Although this is only a few milliamps over time this can build up and if the battery is in a fairly low state of charge it can actually flatten the battery or put the state of the battery that the voltage is below the switch on charge voltage of the charger.
    Do not leave the battery 100% charged for this period either, Li-Ion batteries do not like being left 100% charged for long periods as long term they act like the old Nicads with the reverse memory effect.
    For storage, the battery is best stored in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight and not in a fridge as some say.

poisonspider
    Free Member

pembo6 – Member
    To be honest, I have no idea what the battery is (other than cheap).
    Its a “Solar Storm CREE XM-L U2 LED” from Ebay. It doesn’t specify the battery type other than “18650” (I think).

I will probably charge it up and leave it charged. And top it up before next use. It will only be used once a month.

Doesn’t the charger indicate what battery type it is for?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lights question’ is closed to new replies.