Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lights needed
  • foxy77
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend or does anybody have for sale good value front light for xc/trail riding?

superleggero
    Free Member

– Are you okay with a bar mounted light, a helmet mounted light?
    – Does it have to be an all in one light or are you okay with a separate battery pack?
    – What’s your budget?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Alright, Mr. Wiseguy … if you’re so clever, you tell us what colour it should be

foxy77
    Free Member

Only just delving into the world of lights…as always with mtb there are a million options.
    Probably need something around the 1000 lumen to shine adequite light? I think bar mounted might be better.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I just got back from an evening ride and all I used was an alpkit Bosen light (£30) helmet mounted with a USE mount. Bright enough for nights up the woods.

bazhall
    Free Member

I have a mtb batteries V2 light and just bought a luminator 800. The V2 is 1000 lumen and the 800 is 800 lumen. Never had any issues with the V2 which is about 4 or 5 year old now.

foxy77
    Free Member

That sounds perfect…. is that the 850? do you know where I can get one from? Had a quick look but couldn’t find much

joebristol

I was out riding tonight with a Torchy bk 6six on the bars and a Brite-R selector on my helmet. Was running the bar light with a cheap Chinese battery that died halfway round leaving me with just the helmet light. Was surprisingly good and I wouldn’t want to ride without a helmet light actually. Was fine as my sole light and it’s very cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B016DOLZ50/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

superleggero
    Free Member

Thanks for the extra info. The ‘Lumenator 17’ is a good one from MTB Batteries and kicks out well over the 1000 lumens. Bar mounted and has a separate battery pack. Experience of many forumites (including myself) is that the light performs well and the aftersales service from Mark who runs the show is exemplary. Price is £115.

Many on here vouch for lights supplied by Torchy who has an Ebay shop and has a similar reputation on here. He provides a range of lights at different prices and power outputs. Might be worth having a look at this recent link for the latest Torchy (and other) recommendations: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lights-for-on-and-off-road. HTH

prawny

Wiggle have started doing some new lights, there’s a ‘2000 lumen’ one for £160ish. Looks good.

foxy77
    Free Member

Gone for the Brite-R selector….thanks for your help guys.

ciquta
    Free Member

google “Gaciron 1000”

just got one and it’s top quality

tomhoward

Hope R8+ on the bars
    Hope R2 on the lid.

Not lightweight, not cheap, but on the plus side the trails are always dry when you use them on full power.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

but on the plus side the trails are always dry when you use them on full power.

I actually smirked at that

Akers

Foxy77, Like you I’ve been in the market for some decent but inexpensive lights. I’ve always enjoyed summer evening rides, but this year decided I wasn’t going to let the longer nights stop me from getting out after work. Having never been night riding off road before, I didn’t want to spend a fortune on lights, only to find night riding wasn’t for me. I decide to by some inexpensive lights on Ebay, a Torchy BK 7even Endurance pack and a helmet mounted single CREE LED torch. Last night was my first trail ride under darkness, having set out a bit before sunset, it was a blast! Night Riding rocks! 8)

medoramas
    Free Member

If you want something self-contained, solid, cheap and bright – I highly recommend Niterider Lumina units. I’ve got 700 on the bars and 400 on the helmet and it is awesome combo for me.

The lumens numbers may not seem overly high, but they are really bright and the beams are excellent. I’ve had mine for good few years now, serving me in all weather conditions and they have never let me down (even after one nasty crash, where the front wheel was a total write-off…).

joebristol

Agree that night riding rocks (so far). Hoping to sort out the battery pack for my Torchy bk6 for the next ride as it was good before the cheap battery I was using died.

Because my Brite-R selector was so good I impulse bought a Brite-R Duo 2 a couple of nights ago for a giggle. Going to put that on the bars next to the Torchy bk6 – should mean I’ve got enough light for some technical off piste stuff in Leigh Woods in Bristol.

giantalkali
    Free Member

***Bump instead of a new thread***

Budget of £30, light for off road only, max runtime about 2 hours, any recommendations?

johnnystorm

http://www.torchy.co.uk/product/torchy-bk-2wo-front-light/

£35 quid for a local sourced Chinese light.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ive just bought a hope r2 and i’m very impressed.

the long and short is that i’ve had solarstorms, 20quid i think, for a few years and its fine but i’m doing a 10mile nightime coastal path run in a few weeks and i wanted a better head torch than my usual alpkit one.

google searches past the petzls etc led me too fellrunning forums going on about the hopes. that they come with bar mount, head mount and helmet mounts was an added plus, and as i wanted a light for my road bike too it seemed ideal… especially at 115quid delivered from winstanleys.

anyhow, i’ve run with it and it really is daylight running with the low race setting being perfect. combined with a
    hope district rear it will be brilliant for road cycling and i’m quite sure its bright enough for all the mtb i would want. lovely bit of kit. i’m a bit of a convert now after saying for years that cheap chinese is the way to go plus i’m not a little scared like before everytime i charge it that it might explode!!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lights needed’ is closed to new replies.