Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lights for on and off road?
  • funkmasterp

Sorry for another light thread. Had a quick search and couldn’t find anything.

Just wondering if there are any lights that can be used both on and off road? Budget of about £50. Off road will more than likely be Macc Forest and canal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

malv173
    Free Member

Look at magicshine lights. I think you can get a 900 lumen one for 55 quid, or a 1000 lumen one for 60. They’ll have different settings so you can use lower power on the roads so you won’t dazzle everyone.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Don’t look at the Lezyne XL power drive range. Twin LEDS 3inch long sort of flat at the top rounded on the sides variety.

Great light but the recessed usb charger connector is well akward to get into to charge and I’ve just had to resolder mine through my inept trying to charge.

Shit design. Sorry Lezyne.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve used a Torchy BK2Two both on and off road – commuting on unlit roads and going round forests.

Has a spot and a floodlight that can be switched separately or used together, plus a flashing mode.

It’s very bright – never had any issues seeing where I’m going, battery last 4 hours-ish with both lights on and nothing has broken in regular use for about 3 years.

They are £35: http://www.torchy.co.uk/product/torchy-bk-2wo-front-light/

I actually ended up with two as someone bought me one as a gift, so use them for off-roading – one on helmet (spot) and one on bars (flood) – using one light bumps the battery life up to about 6 or 7 hours

joebristol

For £50 I’ve actually got 2 lights. For commuting I’ve found I don’t like having a seperate battery pack – daily connecting / disconnecting doesn’t always do connectors a lot of good. For off-road it makes sense as you get a lighter light unit which jiggles about s lot less.

So for off road I’m using a £30 Torchy bk 6ix which is a claimed 1800 linen light which is quite ‘floody’. Which should work well off road.

I then bought a £20 soshine dc12 from Torchy for commuting. It’s a claimed 700 lumens and is essentially one unit with a battery in it that is USB rechargeable which is handy. It’s a metal torch looking light which straps to the bars with a little mount. It’s very bright on full power- but very focused in a spot so good on road but would t be great in its own off road.

JAG

I bought the MTB Batteries V2 light.

I use it on and off road but it’s over your budget.

I think the Torchy light for £35 is very difficult to beat 8)

nickjb
    Free Member

Buy two lights. The budget off road lights are too dazzling for road use even on low power due to the beam shape. £50 should be plenty. Also gives you a back up option so you can get home safely.

funkmasterp

Thanks all. Plenty to look at

benp1

Usual caveat applies here – an off road light will be blinding to most oncoming drivers as it has a very wide spread of light. Pointing it down and to the left gives you an annoying hotspot in your field of view

Probably OK on very quiet roads or urban environments where you can run it low, but on unlit roads with lots of cars it’s less likely to be

jamiep
    Free Member

The Torchy duel beam all-in-one. One floody, one narrow, controlled independently. 900 lumen. Only £35

belugabob
    Free Member

It’s not just a case of reducing brightness for on-road, though, as the beam pattern and direction of off-road lights are completely different & therefore not officially approved for on-road use.
    There may be a single light that is suitable for both uses, but I’m not aware of one.

funkmasterp

Officially approved?

ianbradbury

Guess ‘officially approved’ ought to mean the relevant BS? In which there are probably none, whether off-road usable or not. Or it might mean STVZO compliant, in which case there are on-road ‘approved’ (for Germany) lights, but none you’d want to use on technical stuff. So either you decorate the bars with two lights, or just use a sensible offroad light, and angle it down/shade it if someone complains. (Which hardly ever happens, at least to me)

benp1

As above, we don’t have the same rules ze germans do

Running the light on low, if it’s a proper low, should be fine. It won’t be bright enough to dazzle, and in an urban environment with street lighting it’s different to our on country lanes

funkmasterp

Thanks again. Reckon I’ll give the Torchy offering a go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lights for on and off road?’ is closed to new replies.