• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lights at eye level – A good thing
  • lunge

A bit of an observation from today’s commute. I normally run 2 or 3 lights around my seat-post, so low ish. Today I thought I’d add a cheap, not overly bright light to the back of my helmet. Would you believe it, more space, less close calls, happier commute.

I’m sure this is old news to most people but it was a bit of a revelation for me.

njee20
    Free Member

Conversely I followed a roadie a few weeks ago at dusk whose sole light was on his helmet and it was virtually invisible. Horrendous.

stumpy01

Good as a secondary light, I think but wouldn’t use one as my only light.

I passed a bloke a week or so ago cycling out of Cambridge with a light on his helmet as his only rear light. I was driving.

The two issues with it were that he looked like he was further down the road than he was, and he was looking around a lot and every time he moved his head even slightly, the light output backwards was reduced drastically – sometimes almost to nothing.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve used Smart back up lights on my helmet for a couple of years now, certainly seems to get drivers attention and fewer close calls.

One on the front seems to help with the eye contact with drivers at junctions game

brooess
    Free Member

Both bike and eye-level are best IMO. I saw a rider last year who had just the one light – on the back of his helmet and it was mainly obscured by the top of his rucksack – which he didn’t know until I told him…

As MCTD says, I have a light on the front of my helmet which means I can look at drivers to make sure they’ve seen me – I took it off last winter and nearly got hit 3 times on one ride with drivers pulling out on me – from side roads and on a roundabout – so it went straight back on…

lunge

Agree with all, I wouldn’t use it on its own but as an addition to the bike mounted lights it worked very well indeed.

muddy9mtb

as an mtb’r I attempt to steer clear of roads at the best of times..and defo of riding in the dark (particular as the bike is offroad specific). however I’ve been persuaded to go night riding and bought some lights….they are fluroscent shaped and use a car battery to run! what’s betting I’m still not bright enough

lemonysam
    Free Member

Whenever I add another light or more reflective kit I feel sure that it’s made a big difference, in reality I suspect it’s mostly just me feeling better about having made the effort.

I think anklets are possibly the most effective addition I’ve made but even with them I’ve no idea how much is psychological.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve commented before that lights on the helmet are visible further away than those on seatposts. I would still use them in conjunction with a seat post rear light.
    The rear lights that pulse such as Exposure TraceR also stand out more than the flashing ones for some reason.

cookeaa

I’d echo everyone else, a red LED on your helmet is a good suplimentary light, it grabs attention and it’s position might help improve it’s visibility but a steady light on the bike at or about seatpost level is a must (legally as well as from a basic visibility POV)…

I’ve also tried putting a flashing Red LED clipped on the back of my jersey/jacket neck, in the rear pocket of a jersey, on the back of a rucksack, all seemed OK at the time and could arguably be better as the light won’t suddenly disappear from drivers view when you look about… discuss

molgrips
    Free Member

I like to put one on my back/rucksack – not found a decent way to strap one to my lid. I’ve got a button one but it eats CR2032s for breakfast and I’ve no wish to send hundreds of those things to landfill.

hooli

I have a really bright lumo orange road cycling jersey that I wear sometimes and it is noticeable how much extra space I get compared to a red or white/black jersey. Sometimes I think we don’t help ourselves as cyclists dressed in all black with no or poor lights.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lights at eye level – A good thing’ is closed to new replies.