Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • LED Lights from Aldi
  • jon1973
    Free Member

anyone got one of these?

Thought them may be good to strap to the lid as a bit of additional off road lighting. Is 132 lumen pretty bright, or about average for an led light that costs £10?

MSP

132 lumens sounds like nonsense, the new exposure flare is only 75 lumens.

carbon337
    Free Member

Ive got one but wont get to test it until tonight. Will post some pics and review later.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would have thought 132 lumen is feasable. A 3w cree is about 220 – 240 lumen flat out max IIRC. You can’t run flat out max off two AAs tho and there are always losses.

In answer to the OP it will be less than a 3w cree run off more batteries – you cannot get the current / voltage from 2x AA IIRC – good enough for a backup would be my guess

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Picked one up today at lunch. It’s pretty powerful from a quick flash around the office and too bright for you to be able to look directly at a reflection off a white wall. I have a mate with one of the deal extreme ones and it looks to me to be brighter than that.

It’s only claiming 2hr continuous life or 4hr flashing but looks good so far. Pretty tight beam although not looked at it at distance.

Jamie
    Free Member

What lumen output was the Tesco torches from the other year? Curious if these are similar.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Tesco torches were identical to a Mk 1 Joystick, I tested one at the time and the beam pattern was almost identical, and the same brightness. So 120 lumens. 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

What helmet mounts did people use for torches like this?

Jamie
    Free Member

Righto. Won’t bother going Aldi then 8)

What helmet mounts did people use for torches like this?

I just bought some of this and got creative.

elaineanne
    Free Member

sticky black plastic ! have u not seen Blue Peter ! 😉 :mrgreen:

carbon337
    Free Member

ah velcro – must be posh, i was gona trial some good old duct tape.

Jamie
    Free Member

ah velcro – must be posh, i was gona trial some good old duct tape.

Just makes it removable is all….plus there is loads left for mounting batteries and such like if needed.

carbon337
    Free Member

Oh well that didnt work as planned.

Got the torch – nice and bright but the switch doesnt work.

It wont turn off or go into flashing mode.

Rang the support company who handle the warranties for Aldi – she claimed they have only started working with them today and nobody else had this issue.

Need to send the receipt off to them and they are going to send me a new torch and told me to throw this one in bin.

Jamie
    Free Member

That is not a good start is it….defo keeping using the tesco one now 😉

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Just got two of them and for the money they are good. Damn good.

phiiiiil

Gah, the Cannock branch didn’t have any. 🙁

I bought some socks instead… 🙂

tthew

OK, I bought one as well, and compred to my LED’s up Mini Maglight, it’s

quite a bit larger
    quite a bit heavier
    Belt clip is not removable, (well possibly without a lot of force, and I’m not wanting to risk it)
    not as nicely made
    MUCH brighter though, I am however just chaging up the Maglight batteries for a proper comparison.
    Oh, and it also came with a Laser Beam warning sticker on it, which does seem a bit optomistic.

igm

3W Cree XLamp it says. Pretty bright for a hand torch, but a little heavy for helmet use. Chunky aluminium construction – seems robust / well made.

Loads left in Middlesbrough at 1630 today.

bassspine
    Free Member

Got the torch – nice and bright but the switch doesnt work.

It wont turn off or go into flashing mode.

some LED lights do this when the batteries are failing, they don’t have enough oomph to switch modes. (Hope this helps.)

carbon337
    Free Member

They were the brand new ones – anyway im getting a new one for free so will see what that one does.

jon1973
    Free Member

I got one on the way home. Fitted it to my lid with a couple of cable ties. Pretty good for ten quid.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Can someone post up a report when they have tested it at night please.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I know someone who bought something today from Aldi?

Ok the beam was the size of ostrich egg where it hit the ground-the brightness was fine.

Outside the egg there was nothing but I’m sure oncoming cyclists could see it.

Is it rubbish? not for the price.

Is it great? yeah if you drop a nut while changing your car battery.

Best use: Addition to a decent light but on your head or the glove box.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘LED Lights from Aldi’ is closed to new replies.