Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lights
  • jcnm
    Free Member

Need a new front light any recommendations

Thanks

Gary_M
    Free Member

Budget and intended use would help narrow it down?

tomhoward

Hope R8+ on the bars, R2 on helmet.

May be overkill for some situations.

jcnm
    Free Member

Good point 🙂 , mtb and road, budget around £300

Thanks

texxaco
    Free Member

Interested in this post as in the market for front light also. Have been looking at the Exposure diablo Mk9 for my helmet.

whitestone
    Free Member

Rear lights easiest to deal with: get two small USB rechargeable lights – Moon or similar. Run one on constant, one on flashing. That will be somewhere up to £30

Front lights are where it gets tricky as off-road lights are most definitely not suitable for road use as the beam isn’t focused and can cause problems for other road users. Something like the B&M Ixon-IQ is designed for road use, cost is around £42.

That leaves you with around £230 for your off-road front light. Exposure Toro is £250, Hope R4+ is £180

freeagent
    Free Member

£300 puts you firmly into Exposure/Hope territory.

I’ve got an Exposure Strada 1200 for the bars, and a Joystick for my lid (800LM model)
    Most of my night riding is on the roads – I can’t see how I’d ever want more than this.
    I generally only put the joystick on for really dark lanes.

I’d always go for 2 lights – you should be able to find a joystick for around £100, then whichever bar-mount light takes your fancy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As per freeagent I have an exposure strada 1200 on the bars and an exposure joystick helmet mounted, works for everything really. On road commutes the helmet light is for emergency use only, i.e. fixing mechanicals.

Strada only needs to be on low for even the darkest moorland bits of my commute and lasts the whole week of 20 miles each way commutes without needing charged.

Also have a Moon Comet X Pro on flashing on the bars.

After going cable free I couldn’t go back to using lights with battery packs.

the expposure strada will be all you’ll need for seeing and the moon would do as an emergency get you home light. You should get all that for under £300 if you have a british cycling 10% off code for chain reaction. If not email or PM me and I’ll send you mine.

Edit: £278.47 to be precise minus 10% so £250 🙂

Yetiman
    Free Member

Four4th ?

My 6 year old Genesis is still doing a great job as a helmet light, and a few of our group have been running other Four4th lights for a number of years as well.

https://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/

nixie

I’ve a latest mark diablo. It’s ok but not as great as I hoped. I’m not convinced that I get the claimed runtime on high and the tap feature (even on least sensitive setting) seems to turn the light down during downhill sections. Was getting battery warnings on a one hour ride dispite the light not being on high the whole time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lights’ is closed to new replies.