Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Light(ish) weight frame thats comfy…Aluminum?
  • stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I have a 456 Summer Series with pikes at the moment, but its a bit of a handful on the climbs so wanting to change the frame and forks to something that i can ride some less aggressive trails(local pentlands trails) and maybe some xc races on.
    Ive been looking at 120mm forks with the Cotic Soul, which seems to be the only steel frame anywhere near 4lbs.

The big question is do any aluminium hardtails ride with anywhere near the suppleness of steel?

Thanks,
    Stuart.

Smee
    Free Member

I love my rock lobster for that kind of stuff.

woodey
    Free Member

kinesis XC120

dobo
    Free Member

i got a steel pipedream sirius, which feels nice and twangy on rough stuff.
    an alu giant xtc which is a bit of a bruiser!
    and a scandium kona kula, which is kinda inbetween

but no aluminium frame i ever tried feels like steel even cheap steel

Northwind

Scandal's pretty comfy, lots of flex in it. I didn't really like how mine handled with the forks over 110mm though… Descended alright but it was a bit ponderous. I could make it ride OK with 130mm in the front but then it wouldn't climb. No competition with my Soul at all really, the Soul manages to do both things while the Scandal could only do one at a time.

househusband

The big question is do any aluminium hardtails ride with anywhere near the suppleness of steel?

Depends on the intentions of the frame designer – I've got an Easton alloy Rock Lobster (Tig Team SL) that is way lighter than 4lbs, and way as supple as the Soul I had a few years ago.

Live in Midlothian so, as a Pentland rider I therefore assume you're reasonably local, you'd be welcome to pop over and have a look.

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

I've always ridden alu bikes and was really surprised how comfy my old cube reaction was. Most comfy alloy bike i've owned, and i've had a few. Plenty stiff in the right direction though.

tinribz
    Free Member

What woodey said, K Maxlights are designed for exactly what you just said you want.

GJP
    Free Member

Kinesis MaxLight XC is the most compliant Aluminum frame I have ever ridden – cheap as chips to. I was somewhat surprised by its springy ride.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Thanks for the responce.
    Looking at the geometry of the xc120, the effective top tube looks quite short? ie the 50 is about the same size as my 16" 456.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Suppleness?
    Who knows – I've ridden plenty of aluminium frames that are soft and floaty feeling. And plenty of steel frames which are harsh, hard and minging. A designer can make a frame feel how she wants, almost regardless of the material used. Heck, I've ridden several stiff and uncomfortable titanium hardtails, nasty! Doesn't matter what it's made of, ride a few and see what you like.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Light(ish) weight frame thats comfy…Aluminum?’ is closed to new replies.