• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jason.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lightest cyclocross bikes with hydraulic disk brakes?
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Looking to sell off a couple of my road bikes and get a cyclocross.
    I’d like to use it as a disk road bike as well, so want something light.

Was looking to spend about £1500 and looking for the Shimano hydraulic brakes and Ultegra

Seems like the Canyon Inflite 9 (8.6kg), Rose DX Cross Pro (8.8kg) and Cube CROSS RACE DISC PRO (9.9kg?) all fit the bill.
    Maybe the Raleigh RX Pro?

I’d be picking up a second set of wheels with road tyres for when I want to use it as a road bike

seanbolton
    Free Member

Planet X with SRAM Rival Hydraulic for £1299

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSRIV/planet-x-xls-sram-rival-22-hydraulic-cyclocross-bike

Also the Ridley range is good. Even the entry level X-Bow is a nice frame and not too heavy, but only mechanical disc brakes.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/cyclocross-bikes/ridley-x-bow-10-disc-2015-cyclocross-bike.html

NZCol

I built a shonky chinese carbon with 11spd ultegra, hydraulics and hope/stans wheels for 1500 with nice finishing kit, weighs under 9kg all up.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m tempted to do something similar to NZCol – theres an Ican carbon cx frame/forks (with mudguards eyelets) they’re claiming is 1080g for frame and 450g for forks that would build into a mighty fine playbike. As long as the missus doesn’t notice the blue bike has changed colour to an, ahem, black one. 😉

mj27
    Free Member

bikes need to be the same colour for the swap to not get noticed by the wife. Also make then looked used ASAP

globalti
    Free Member

Think hard about using a CX bike for regular road riding; a buddy of mine bought a Ridley to use as a winter bike and hated it; it was almost impossible to fit mudguards and the riding position was never comfortable, no matter how much he tinkered with it. I’m beginning to think that CX bikes are too job-specific and not designed to be ridden for longer than an hour.

seanbolton
    Free Member

I only ride a cross bike on the road in winter. It was a Ridley X-Fire, now I have a Scott Team CX. A CX bike is the perfect all-rounder and ideal for winter rides. Mudguards (if you want them) and fatter tyres make for a really comfy and stable ride (without compromising speed).

A CX bike might have very slightly different geometry to a road bike, but as long as it is setup correctly then you can easily do long rides on them.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I can buy a Canyon for £1500 that is 8.6kg.
    Would rather do that than buy a chinese carbon frame and faff around with it.
    Plus I’m going to Germany soon so can buy it for about £1200 in their shop.

Anyone going under 8kg for a CX bike? Or is that £3k territory? Maybe go for something with the CX1 groupset. Wonder if that wouldn’t have enough range for road and CX riding though.

Not worried about the riding position/comfort etc – have done long road rides on a CX before no bother.

I’m not that fussy or basically, not as old and fat as all you buggers so can adapt fine!

youngrob

I just got the Cube you mentioned and I think it’s brilliant. Light enough and a brilliant spec for the price.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

17.5lbs
    CX1

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Super X Hi mod?
    £2500…. a lot of money for 650g of savings over that Canyon…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Indeed it is. Fortunately I didn’t pay anywhere near that price. Cannondale spent the day with us.

Jason
    Free Member

My chinese carbon CX bike is about 8kg. That is with an Ican frame (1088g) & fork (426g).

I have built it up as a road spec, so Ultegra 50/34 cranks rather than a closer ranged CX crankset. My old CX bike uses a normal CX chainset, and I always found the small gap between the front rings a bit strange on the road.

I have done a few 100+mile rides in the current set up and it seems fine. Happily mixes with other road bikes when out on a group ride.

tang
    Free Member

I had the one in front on the scales today, very comfortably under 8kg with no pedals.
    [/url]Untitled by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]

AlexSimon

Jason – how much did you pay for the ICAN frame and fork?
    The AC109 looks nice, but there aren’t any prices.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Planet X are doing the XLS with CX1 and carbon tubular wheels for £1800…
    7.8kg according to them

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLSCX1/planet-x-xls-sram-cx1-cyclocross-bike

plus-one

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oNRA4W]Untitled[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Put this together for around £1300 iirc .. 16lbs ish with pedals

NZCol

I’ve now weighed my Ican, Ultegra 36/46, Stans/Hope wheels and it is 8kg dead.

Jason
    Free Member

Jason – how much did you pay for the ICAN frame and fork?

Sorry only just spotted your question. £322 delivered. That was for a plain matt UD frame, forks and headset. I bought through AliExpress, search for AC059.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Lightest cyclocross bikes with hydraulic disk brakes?’ is closed to new replies.