Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Light Weight XC Tyres.
  • Chadders
    Free Member

Wanting to get some light XC tyres. Light as poss really.

Size wise I think I’m gonna need/want 2.1-2.3

I’m hoping to get a tyre combo that comes under 550grams each.

I’m thinking about a Maxxis Ignitor Exception series at the front with a Maxxis Crossmark Exception for the rear, both 2.1 and both around 550 grams (I think).

Has anyone got any better suggestions?

Thanks

DT78
    Free Member

schwalbe nobbly nic/racing ralph/rocket ron’s are the standard response. (actually most of this year I used surprisingly successful fast freds – with no punctures)

I use them in summer, for winter (unless the grounds frozen) I use a medusa front & bont mud x rear.

Chadders
    Free Member

So i’m guessing a nobby nic front and a racing ralph rear??

Bit expensive aint they! :-S

DT78
    Free Member

Depends on the course to be honest. I’ve been using RRon / RRalph combo or FF for most riding, swap to NN if the course is a bit rockier or I go to wales.

Yep not cheap – nextdaytyres are good. Seen quite a few come up on the classifieds.

Racing Ralph is the only tyre I’ve ever sliced through the side wall (on a big flint) so whilst they are light weight they are not quite as tough as high rollers I used to use.

radoggair
    Free Member

use conti race kings. Roll better than Ralphs IMO and altho grip is limited, for all out speed there one of the best

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I run the “performance” level Rocket Rons with tubeless gunk. Having owned ralphs and nics for racing, the Rons are better because they’re faster rolling than the nics while still being very capable in mud and light weight.

They’re only 480g and £20 a tyre. So less than half the price of the standard folder and only 70g heavier. Perfect!

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?partno=36224

pinches
    Free Member

rockt rons definitely. I’ve got Evo triple nano ones and they’re in at 430g.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve used Kenda Klimax Lite’s for racing in the past, they only weigh 345 gms but they’re VERY thin and I wouldn’t consider using them anywhere rocky.

neninja
    Free Member

I use 2.1 Ralphs with a 2.25 Nic up front if necessary.

Dirty Dan 2.0 is it gets too muddy.

I really rate the Schwalbe tyres I’ve used but they seem to pick up loads of thorns – lucky I’m running them tubeless.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I use 1.8 Nics front and rear – really rate them and flipping light.

bigbob38
    Free Member

Nobby nics all round for me!

daveb
    Free Member

NN on the front RRalph on the back. I havent tried the R Rons yet though, might give em a try

pinches
    Free Member

I used to run a nobby nic/racing ralph combo most of the time, but gone to rons all round after talking to Njee20 and the ron is really good, kind of makes a nobby nic a bit pointless, if it’s too muddy for the rons, you should be running dirty dans.

ac282

Rons can be a bit delicate. I think they have the same casing as freds. I’ve seen plenty of people having trouble with them at races.

So far, I have stuck with ralphs as they go up really well on stans rims with just a track pump and have proven very reliable when run tubeless.

Conti Race Kings look good but I’ve had other types of Conti tyres blow off rims in the past.

pedalhead
    Free Member

This is how much I liked my Ra_Ra…

Conrad
    Free Member

If you want Conti Race Kings but with grip try the new X-Kings. The RaceSport version is tubeless compatable so has a less porus sidewall and a UST bead. Biggest plus though is Black Chilli compound which offers amazing grip and less rolling resistance so win win. 2.2 comes in at just over 500g.

If you’re running tubeless I’d recommend 2 scoops of sealant.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve been using 2.3 Panaracer Razer MX’s, stood up well to rocky stuff, suprisingly grippy in the damp, fast on the hardpack and very comfy with that big volume.

thomthumb
    Free Member

maxxis maxxlite 285

as the name implies it is 285g

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

as the name implies it is 285g

😯

Do they last more than 4 seconds?!

Chadders
    Free Member

Thanks very much for your replies!!

Ive finally decided, after considering maxxis ignitor/crossmark, Conti mountain/race king, Nobby nic/racing ralph..

Ive decided on having Rocket Rons(2.2) on the front And back.

Taken your replies into consideration and also advice from people ive been speaking to!

Now just to order them.. Think the cheapest place is that nextdaytyres.com….

njee20
    Free Member

Maxxlite 310s and 285s are ridiculous, they have no grip at all, and are crazy money.

Ralphs or Rons FTW, Rons are more fragile, but lighter and grippier.

gothandy

Small block 8 fast and light

jonnyrockymountain

Good choice
    Also consider maxxis 2.25 ardent and 2.25 or 2.1 aspen

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Light Weight XC Tyres.’ is closed to new replies.