Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Light weight HT XC frame
  • grtdkad

Have been looking at a couple of nice XC frames – any feed back based on experience:

– S-Works M5 Stumpjumper HT
    – YETI – ARC HT
    – Giant XTC Carbon

…all around the GBP800 budget…

Views welcomed please – I ride 2-3 times a week, XC, typically lots of climbing … the odd trailquest and MM!

njee20
    Free Member

Pedal Force frame off eBay, £200ish and 1240g.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Giant Giant Giant Giant Giant….

grtdkad

I've not owned a Giant before Cullen, why the enthusiasm?

…I can't see any pedal force frames listed at the mo?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Votes for the Stumpy. Had an M4 Sworks HT, went like stink, if a little head down.

grtdkad

I like the idea of the Stumpy…I used to have an 04 S-Works Epic so know that they make fab bikes. But worried that I might be a bit blinkered so casting the net a bit wider – what's out there?

njee20
    Free Member

Search eBay for 'Carbon MTB frame', then scroll to the international sellers at the bottom. There are hundreds.

I ragged mine around the Surrey Hills for 4 hours today, great bike, more compliant than my S-Works Carbon HT was, lighter too, and yet far far cheaper.

Like this one!

grtdkad

Ace, any more thoughts on the XTC Carbon or Yeti?

MaxWall
    Free Member

Whyte 19 Carbon?!!?!??!

Whyte 19C Here.

grtdkad

Yeah, I love the Whytes but my donor bike has an 80-100mm fork and IIRC the 19 needs a longer travel fork?

pinches
    Free Member

no, whyte 19C = 100mm fork

the steel 19 comes with a 120mm reba as standard with adjustable rear dropouts to adjust the head angle.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I bought a Rocky Mountain Vertex 08 frame from a bike shop on ebay that was splitting its sale bikes. got it for £150, so may as well be new. not niche, or cool by stw standards. The same frame with different paintjob is £700+ on crc. Depends what you want, but it is perfect for me and my rides, short travel 115mm on my rebas and light and fast (3.7lbs frame). for a "nice XC frame" it is perfect. For an £800 budget, you can get pretty much anything HT, but still, get a bargain! they are out there, hold fire and keep an eye out. If you REALLY MUST spend £800, get a custom frame fitted.

njee20
    Free Member

Pedal Force! A pound lighter than the Rocky Mountain! You know you want to. They have a big following on weight weenies, and I'm well impressed with mine. You can spend £600 painting it like an s-works if it really bothers you! Or you could hang some much nicer bits on it. I've got mine at 20lbs.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Scandal without a doubt and save a packet.

retro83
    Free Member

Pedal Force! A pound lighter than the Rocky Mountain! You know you want to. They have a big following on weight weenies, and I'm well impressed with mine. You can spend £600 painting it like an s-works if it really bothers you! Or you could hang some much nicer bits on it. I've got mine at 20lbs.

those look great

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Merlin Malt 4 or Kinesis Racelight frame – nowhere near that price and equal if not better than all on your list.

Plus Merlins customer service is one of the best.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

right- 1) they are all good frames.
    2) giant are great for warranties if you ever need them to, but i dont know what spesh are like. i do know lots of yeti carbon things crack though, in comparison to giant and spesh.
    3) the i have only ridden the giant and specialized frames but the giant (i felt) rides more nicely than the spesh.

If it were my money id get the giant, but if i were you i would head to demo days and try the bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

Spesh warranty is superb, on par, if not better than Giant.

However, you could buy 4 Pedal Force frames if it's a concern…

Slogo
    Free Member

bloody hell njee20

you like the old pedal force dont you. think ill have to get me one!!!

njee20
    Free Member

Well, I think they're onto a good thing, may as well shout about it!

I'm pretty surprised they're not more popular over here actually, on Weight Weenies there's loads of talk about them, they did a 'Forum group buy' and everything.

Lighter than an S-Works for less money than a ScandAl, not difficult IMO…

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'm not convinced weight weenies is all that good for advice because they definitely give the impression that they're a lot more interested in what the bike weighs than how it rides. Not that I think all that many of them actually ride…

Anyway another option would be a cheap Ti frame like the Van Nicholas Zion. It's reasonably light and very nice to ride. It's a bit heavier then the lightest frame I own (Dave Hinde M3) but much nicer to ride.

I've also got an Epic (a 2003 one) and reckon if you liked yours then you'd also like one of these as I find the pretty similar to ride, particularily the way the egg you on to ride faster.

Dasha
    Free Member

I've had the 2004 xtc frameset and last years; both have been used and abused and are light strong and good looking.

njee20
    Free Member

There are definitely some folk on WW who never ride and just weigh their bikes, but a number of them are actually very good riders.

When mine snaps and I die I'll know it was a mistake!

mlke
    Free Member

one vote for the Giant, I've had mine as my fast bike for a few years now.

grtdkad

Cool, my LBS stock Giant so I may just wander up there later in the week.

Must say the VanNich look nice too… 😉

abductee
    Free Member

njee20

What forks are you using with the carbon frame? Do you find the geometry/handling OK? have you got a photo of it built up?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Light weight HT XC frame’ is closed to new replies.