Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Light-weight backpack for cycling.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’m looking for a nice light-weight back pack, thats not a camel back. Usually when I ride I try and keep everything in my jersey pockets and saddle bag, but sometimes it gets a bit much if I want to carry a few extra bottles too. What I’m doing at the moment is just putting the bottles in the camel back, which doesn’t seem to make sense but I don’t like using the camel back for sports drinks, don’t really like using it much at all really!
    But anyway, thought a well fitting light-weight back pack would be a good idea. I don’t need a huge one, just so I can throw a few bottles in and maybe a spare layer. Suggestions?

Thanks!

matthew_h
    Free Member

The Osprey sacks are superb. Nice and light but with a great back system that holds them in place perfectly. Good features on the sacks too like a good helmet holder. Look at the Talon in whatever size you need. The Osprey reservoirs are great too.

svalgis
    Free Member

I like Deuter. Various models in various sizes available from CRC and bike-discount among others.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    willard

How light?

SportsDirect have a 15 litre Karrimor running pack in that weighs 300 or so grams. I bought one for running and am surprised at how good it is. Mind you, I’m planning on modding it with some mesh pockets internally to hold a bladder and divide the main compartment, so the weight might go up a bit.

For 15 quid though? Can’t go wrong.

jameso

I have an old (2005?) Vaude Trail Light 18l that’s 400g or so, comes in smaller sizes, has lasted many miles of use so far while being stuffed full and chucked about on and off-road trips, plenty of other off-bike use, no notable wear. Rated if you can get a similar version.

falkirk-mark

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-aqua-force-2-daypack-p143545

I use this more often than my camelback and its only £15

northernerindevon

+1 for Osprey kit. I have a Camelbak MULE for medium rides but the Osprey Talon 33 is brilliant for long days / epics / summer bivvying. The Osprey is much better fitting for riding in. Just bloomin’ great!

druidh
    Free Member

OMM Last Drop is about as light as you get – though possibly a bit voluminous for you.

theblackmount
    Free Member

I use this:

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-RaceElite-15.html?L=26

They have smaller units which would give you the liquid capacity you require but in a very slim pack. Cant really see the point in lugging full bottles in a pack but each to their own.

stevious

If you’re mostly concerned about the weight of the pack then something by OMM or Inov-8 will do the trick.

I find my OMM Last Drop perfect for mountain biking, and it weighs about 300g IIRC.

Sanny
    Free Member

Alpkit Gourdon 20 – light, waterproof and only £22.50. A brilliant bit of kit that has seen me right on many an epic and not so epic rides. Just buy one. You won’t regret it! 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Light-weight backpack for cycling.’ is closed to new replies.