• This topic has 104 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Light steel or compliant/forgiving aluminum 140mm travel frames?
  • hora
    Free Member

Whereas we know you're a anglo-east european cross-dressing tea-boy living rough in Chorlton Water Park. A location where you don;t need a long travel hardtail, BTW

I actually burst out laughing then 😆

tinsy
    Free Member

On topic, have you thought about getting and XC frame thats corrected for 120mm ish forks and then popping something a bit longer on it to see how it works out?
    That will give you the lighter more compliant frame, the extra length in the fork will slacken off the head angle a bit (no biggie) and raise the BB slightly so it might be what your looking for.
    Opt for a fork with either lock down or on the fly travel adjust and it wont bother the climbing either.

Loads of sub 4lb ally frames out there that are very reasonable price wise.

hora
    Free Member

tinsy….go on

tinsy
    Free Member

Go on what?

I bought a 2nd hand scandal for £80 off here for example plan on running 125mm forks as thats what my stolen Tinbred was running and what I have to swap off my full sus, cant see why running 130mm plus would wreck the handling especially if they are like I say on the fly travel adjust or lock down type.

Have a scan about, find a frame you like the look of thats happy with 120mm forks and give it a try.

Here is the Tinbred at 125mm I dont think it looks like a chopper, another 15mm by the time you take the sag into account isnt going to kill it.

I dont have pics of the scandal yet as waiting on getting it powder coated first but geometry is about the same as this.

edit.. you might want to pay attention to axle to crown lengths of the forks you have or what you have in mind, as a 130mm of one make could be longer than 140mm of another.

hora
    Free Member

Agree, RS/Fox rather than Mazz.

Same principle as my old Vertex/Psylo's. Shop staff poured scorn on saying It'd 'bell' the headtube and it would sheer off etc. Never did.

Kramer
    Free Member

This isn't really about the bike is it?

You've got a great bike already, stick with it for a couple of years, see if you can take it to the limits of what it can do.

hora
    Free Member

Just had a quick browse on on-one
    (http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Not_Sliding_Dropout_31.html)

and noticed the normal inbred has been corrected for slightly longer forks

tinsy
    Free Member

yup they take 120-5mm have done for ages, that what I am saying another 15mm isnt a lot. And there are lots of XC frames for 5" forks out there, maybe an overforked XC frame will do what your looking for, a light, compliant 140mm bike.

That said I was never sure if my Tinbred was pre 5" fork or not, but am certain my Scandal frame is.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Jsst get an Inbred and stick some 130mm forks on it. You know you dont need 140mm!

hora
    Free Member

Bet you could get away with 140 air forks on the adjusted inbred..cheap as chips as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kuco – Member
    You don't even know me you assume I'm 17 (way off) you have no idea of what bikes or type of riding I do or capable of. You come over as a complete **** imo but then again you are a lawyer. Post what you like I just can't be arsed it's late and your boring me now.

Jeez I even spelt it out for ya.

cynic-al – Member

Kuco – …only yanking your chain, thought you might get the joke.

Need a hug?

tinsy
    Free Member

This takes up to 130mm fork out the box..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15099

hora
    Free Member

tinsy that is bloody light!

What size tinbred/scandal are you riding and how tall are you?

The 16" inbred is almost identical to a large Chameleon (except for the 2inches off the seat tube but a long ti post etc would solve and add to comfort)..

tinsy
    Free Member

Hora, but that {edit} steel inbred{edit} doesnt fit in with your post for a light steel or compliant alloy hardtail, why not the Scandal and save 1 1/2lb in weight.

Have to go 2nd hand for a non slot one though.

I ride an 18" at 5ft 8" I am supposed to buy the 16" but was very happy with the Tinbred so bought another 18"

tinsy
    Free Member

Now this light, but no idea what size they measured to get 1.2kg!

And it doesnt mention sugested fork length either.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31512

Kuco

iirc those scandiums are designed for 100mm forks. Have you considered one of the KUK Virsa frames suitable for 130mm forks and with DMR's swop drop outs so you could run it ss or geared.

tinsy
    Free Member

I guessed it would be shorter, I posted it as I was astounded by the claimed weight..

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

tinsy – Member

Now this light, but no idea what size they measured to get 1.2kg!

And it doesnt mention sugested fork length either.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31512

it's intended for 100 mm travel according to the table below the item 😉

hora
    Free Member

That Kinesis actually makes alot of sense and yes I was drifting from the ideal (it must have been the dirty cheap price of inbreds). Will keep a lookout for secondhand Scandals and Kinesis xc120's so far….

ajc
    Free Member

When are we going to get a what tyres for my push chair thread?

hora
    Free Member

ajc the scan is this afternoon..

soma_rich
    Free Member

Get a Scandal! I recon 120mm will be perfect. I run mine with 100mm and would like to put a longer fork on it.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Get a Scandal! I recon 120mm will be perfect. I run mine with 100mm and would like to put a longer fork on it.

I tried 115mm and it felt horrid compared to 100mm, could be just me though.

hora
    Free Member

Reading What MTB- The Merlin Malt 2 is made by Kinesis?! A sort of cutprice knockout version?

hora
    Free Member

Someone please buy this. If it was ONE INCH longer on the top tube (its 21.5) I would have had it. Fuckity **** ****.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/clearout-bikes-frames-and-parts?replies=4#post-628721

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Light steel or compliant/forgiving aluminum 140mm travel frames?’ is closed to new replies.