Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • light flat pedals for son's road bike ?
  • iainc

junior, who will be 13 in a few months is getting a Defy 5 for his birthday 🙂

It arrived earlier from Wheelies and will shortly be getting stashed away at grandparents till December. I have him on Superstar plastique’s on his mtb and wondering what to use on the road bike. it comes with Wellgo pedals with toestraps.

I don’t want to put him onto spd’s yet, so looking for something sensible, light and decent. any suggestions ?

philjunior
    Free Member

DMR do some with Mg bodies, don’t think the V8s are obscenely expensive and they’re a decent quality regreasable pedal.

You can get magnesium body V12s with Ti axles, though you might be heading towards silly money.

iainc

thanks – the magnesium V8’s are 438g vs the Plastique’s on his mtb at 340g, and about the same price of £25 ish. Might stick with another pair of Plastique’s unless I find something a little smaller/nicer

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Try the pedals and toeclips first?

I’d much prefer them to flats. You don’t have to do the clips up tight.

honourablegeorge

DMR V6? Plastic, cheap as chips, and cheap as chips.

327g

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/dmr-v6-flat-pedal/rp-prod132636

nedrapier

Wellgo do some touring pedals, look at M142. Wife’s got them on her road bike.

Or there’s the MG1s, which are pretty similar to the plastiques in weight and price.

Edit: not as cheap or light as the V6s though!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Try the pedals and toeclips first?

You really don’t need massively grippy offroad monsters on a road bike, even many tourists use fairly ordinary flats, sometimes with clips.

iainc

thanks, those V6’s look ideal. I dont want to get him into toe clips as hope to move him to spd’s within a yr.

jonathan
    Free Member

Why not SPDs? They work really well and are much better then clips/straps for getting into and out of. In my experience kids pick up the techniques really quickly.

If you’re sold on flats then these little Wellgo ones should be just right and look a bit more roadie than most flats: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gobike88-Wellgo-R146R-Alloy-Pedals-for-Road-CrMo-Axle-307g-pair-White-E77-/160909023213

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

General advice these days is no SPD/clipless until the kids are a little older, can’t remember the cut off, but it’s not 13. Might be 15?

Lots of risks around growing bones, changing joints and musculature, best minimized by using flats. Or clips and straps with no cleat.

iainc

while he is still growing at a crazy rate I don’t really want to be replacing shoes every 6 months, so thinking that trainers and flats are way to go for now. Also, it’s his first foray into proper road riding so don’t want him learning to get in and out of spd’s as well.

Plus all the points above about bones and growing

Those wellgo R146R ones look ideal

jonathan
    Free Member

I think that’s probably general “opinion” rather than “advice”. I doubt there’s much evidence – you tend to get more float with SPDs than you do with pinned flats anyway. You won’t see many under-12 road racers not clipped in, nor that many under-12 off road racers for that matter.

I’m not pushing one way or the other, but there are some good advantages to being clipped in. My eldest has been on SPDs since he was 7 – that was what he wanted, as a light rider on small wheels (trying to ride rough stuff fast) he was getting bounced off flats too easily. Now (10) he rides both flats and SPDs, but he wouldn’t ride flats on the road… the shame 😉

jonathan
    Free Member

The shoes/growing argument is a winner 😉

iainc

indeed 🙂

just need to find some of those Wellgo ones in black and sorted i think !

BigDummy
    Free Member

MKS Lambda are strangely good.

🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s “opinion” included in coaching material by (at least) 4 national federations. Make of that what you will.

acjim
    Free Member

It’s interesting that you say no clips until mid teens – at my son’s Junior club all the post 11’s have clips and a few of the pre 11’s do too.

This is all road (or CX) stuff though.

jonathan
    Free Member

I know it’s a thing in BMX (to not allow youngsters on clipless) but I can’t see any evidence of it in any other discipline where clipless is used. So if it is in the coaching materials the coaches aren’t implementing it.

I’d be amazed (and I’m prepared to be!) if any of that guidance was evidence-based.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i’ve been using Wellgo Mg-1’s for years on my road bike, only switching to SPD-SL for racing (I’ve not found the SPDSL’s any faster than the flats, just a racing regulation thing).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘light flat pedals for son's road bike ?’ is closed to new replies.