• This topic has 40 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • light, fast, tight, fs 29r?
  • ton

idea’s for a lightweight fast tight short travel fs 29r please.
    something to ride long distance offroad in comfort.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cannondale Scalpel?

monkeyp

What kind of budget? Cannondale Scalpel 29er is a rocket. Got last years Carbon 1. 23lb, plush and just so fast it feels like I’m cheating. Never thought a bike could go with so little effort, BUT, that then makes you go faster and faster and… then you are stuffed! Took a while for me to reign it in a bit on climbs.

In all honesty, it is easily 10% quicker than my old Cannondale Rush which was no slouch and was about 25lb. Did Bonty 12 hour solo and BBF 12 hour solo and it was amazing. Even managed a 4th place at BBF which I was stunned with so certanly capable of long rides in comfort.

nuke

On my list would be Anthem X, Spearfish & Whyte M109

monkeyp

Check Pauls Cycles for the best prices on last years ‘Dales. The Cabon 1 is (relatively speaking) great value.

Ally 29er models are quite heavy though.

Kryton57

The 109 is a bit racy – which is why I’m testing a t129 – nice revised chassis this year. And a carbon camber.

crosshair
    Free Member

In the spirit of recommending what you own- Scott Spark 🙂

gringojimi
    Free Member

Another +1 for Scalpel 29.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You’ve just described my Turner Czar!

jimw
    Free Member

Canyon Lux CF?
    A mate has one-very impressed with it.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Trek Superfly 100 SL. 100mm front and rear travel

eats the miles.

I also have one for sale 🙂

rsvktm

Have a look at Treks, got a superfly FS that works well for me. Good luck for this week.funny re above, didn’t see that as didn’t post straight away..

Kryton57

The Turner Czar is my theoretical dream bike, but having never ridden one, I couldn’t bring myself to buy the one in the classifieds the other day. 😕

curvature
    Free Member

Ibis Ripley!

Absolutely the best bike I’ve ever owned. They are gear up around 120mm travel although can take 140mm forks.

I run mine with 140mm Revs up front and can use it all day or just blasting round a trail centre.

It replaced my Whyte M109 and is over 4.5lb lighter!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The Turner Czar is my theoretical dream bike, but having never ridden one, I couldn’t bring myself to buy the one in the classifieds the other day.

I took a punt on mine un ridden, I was originally going to get a Scott Spark Premium, funded by some insurance money from my stolen Anthem Advanced 29. but XL bike were impossible to find, Silverfish had 2 XL Czar’s in stock, so in for a penny as they say (or £2.5k)!

It does everything the Anthem did but better IMO. Lighter, shorter chain stays so climbs better and rails corners better. I like a lot.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Interesting views on the Giant Anthem/Turner Czar!
    I have been running a Anthem X29 for a couple of years and have been loving it.
    The Czar would be the one on my hitlist.
    Currently trying to get one on test ride.
    If you had unlimited budget maybe Tallboy 2?
    Thanx,
    Max

djtom
    Free Member

Specialized Epic – any of the 29er carbon variants are rocket ship fast, fairly light and reassuringly expensive!

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

A completely and utterly biased recommendation for the Czar. It will change you.

adsh
    Free Member

Carbon spearfish coming soon! Also 2015 Specialized Epic?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Tallboy? more “trail” than “race”

theotherjonv

Someone’s selling a Spearfish F&F in classifieds. Loving mine, with the right rider could be very quick.

njee20
    Free Member

Also 2015 Specialized Epic?

Only available (in the UK) in World Cup variants, and starting at £4000. May not be out of the question, but a very racy option certainly.

monkeyp

If we’re doing pictures…

Yes, it’s a bit OTT on the graphics, but I like it 🙂

6079smithw
    Free Member

Rose Thrill Hill

mashiehood
    Free Member

Scalpel 29er and if we have to do pictures:

localhero94
    Free Member

idea’s for a lightweight fast tight short travel fs 29r please.
    something to ride offroad long distance in comfort.

Exactly what I got this built up for. Unfortunately I was having so much fun with it on it’s maiden ride that I didn’t notice the wet tree root jump out at me and I haven’t been able to ride it since 🙁 Can’t vouch for it’s long distance prowess yet as a result, but it does pedal remarkably efficiently (also blood wipes off it easily without leaving a stain).

phil56

Ton, you haven’t mentioned budget but the Devinci Atlas is an awesome bike, fits your decription and is cuurently on offer (still not exactly cheap mind!)
    Devinci Atlas

campfreddie
    Free Member

Not 29er but 650b, but VERY light, very fast, and very tight.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1594754/

(Okay, so it’s mine. Lol)

fd3chris
    Free Member

Exactly what the Spearfish is described as.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My Superfly 100 sl is less than 25lbs with a Reverb stealth fitted and is running 2×10 so could save more if you go to 11 speed.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

jobro
    Free Member

A dreadful picture but here’s my vote for the Turner Czar.
    You know its fast, you know its agile, but you will be amazed at the unexpected grip this bike has on short, steep technical stuff. I’ve cleared sections on our rides that none of us have done in my riding group.
    This version weighs only 22.5 lbs with pedals but is fully trail worthy as well.
    Could drop about 3/4 – 1 lb if you want to go racer light. I didn’t

ton

i have no upper price limit for this. if i get it, it will be a celebration present to myself.
    also when i said light i was thinking under 30lbs, but sub 25lbs will be to light for me i fear.

i do like the look of the turner and the scalpal

mattjg
    Free Member

I always liked the look of the Whyte M109C.

gringojimi
    Free Member

More Scalpel love required in this thread 8)

mikeep
    Free Member

Another vote for Ibis Ripley.

Awsome bike. Ride mine in 10 hour marathon races and Enduros in a combination of light xc build and burly trail/enduro build. Really versatile and fun bike 🙂

Russell96

Scott Spark the ones higher up the range end up at some right silly weights, but my Alloy one is still pretty nippy.

Paceman
    Free Member

If budget isn’t an issue and it’s a treat to self I’d be looking to demo these:

SC Tallboy 2
    Ibis Ripley
    Turner Czar

They’re all in the same price bracket and fit the bill exactly.

curvature
    Free Member

Here’s my Ripley.

It now has a Reverb and carbon bars.

Once my leg is out of plaster then it will get a new chainset and pedals.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘light, fast, tight, fs 29r?’ is closed to new replies.